Mythicism: Two Theories

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Mythicism: Two Theories

Post by Peter Kirby »

https://rossonl.wordpress.com/2014/06/2 ... -theories/

Half a year late, but this blog post is well worth perusing for its review of Carrier and Spencer (a "mythicist" regarding Muhammad).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
outhouse

Re: Mythicism: Two Theories

Post by outhouse »

I liked this part.

I used to dismiss mythicists as agenda-driven cranks, and frankly many of them still are.

No this gets laughable.
Both Spencer and Carrier are credible advocates

This is where my parallel to creationist and mythicist fits perfectly. Both are ignorance based.
Neither Spencer nor Carrier have degrees in Qur’an or Biblical Studies.

Duh, no need to explain the bias and ignorance here. Why use math if your so vague you cant tell the difference between a hand grenade and a atom bomb. If your not using math for precision, don't use it.
008% – 32%

All in all, not to sure about Loren Rosson III, I don't know enough about him. He seemed to be fair though.

I was once lured in by Carriers intellect, but knowing him, is also seeing his wrong turns I choose not to follow.

I could care less about Spencer, I think he has buried himself in bias to waist 5 minutes reading and researching on him.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

outhouse wrote:This is where my parallel to creationist and mythicist fits perfectly. Both are ignorance based.
Nonsense. Carrier has a Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University. It's certainly a suitable qualification. To describe either person, Carrier or Spencer, or their work as "ignorance based" is, well... ignorant.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

There's also a fairly comprehensive review of Carrier appearing here:

http://www.skepticink.com/humesapprenti ... sus-index/

Carrier is keeping a running tally of his replies to things here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/5730
steve43

Post by steve43 »

His degree is in Ancient History PHILOSOPHY. It could be one of those cobbled-together Ivy League things.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

steve43 wrote:His degree is in Ancient History PHILOSOPHY. It could be one of those cobbled-together Ivy League things.
Carrie has a PhD in Ancient History: PhD = Doctor of Philosophy.
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

steve43 wrote:His degree is in Ancient History PHILOSOPHY. It could be one of those cobbled-together Ivy League things.
Sorry, but unless you can state how his credentials affect the quality of his argument you're committing a genetic fallacy. Please see here: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/genetic.

R/,
Rich
John T

Post by John T »

Peter Kirby wrote:
outhouse wrote:This is where my parallel to creationist and mythicist fits perfectly. Both are ignorance based.
Nonsense. Carrier has a Ph.D. in ancient history from Columbia University. It's certainly a suitable qualification. To describe either person, Carrier or Spencer, or their work as "ignorance based" is, well... ignorant.
In light of all the evidence that has been presented on this forum that proves Carrier is indeed ignorant and/or misleading, I can't see how anyone on this forum can take him seriously.

Once again I ask, what gem of new truth has Carrier discovered that has been verified? :popcorn:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Touche! Mr Kirby ;) We all know he is not completely ignorant to all things biblical.

But having no foundation in biblical studies factually leaves him biased, and at a severe disadvantage of not seeing the whole picture here. The fact his product, books and hypothesis are quite the failure, is evidence of his lack of education.
Tonto Goldstein

Post by Tonto Goldstein »

John T wrote:Once again I ask, what gem of new truth has Carrier discovered that has been verified? :popcorn:
Out of curiosity, can you describe how something is "verified" in regard to Biblical Studies and or what you mean by the term "verified"? It seems to me Carrier is presenting an alternate proposal about the origins of Christianity and asking those educated in the appropriate fields to test his hypothesis and judge it in comparison to all the alternatives. I think fuzzy logic necessarily rules here, and some kind of binary true\false verification standard is unrealistic. Thanks.

Regards,
Rich