The Mythicism Files --- Collection for the Poor

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

The Mythicism Files --- Collection for the Poor

Post by robert j »

On the website “The Mythicisim Files” Quixie wrote,
http://mythicismfiles.blogspot.com.au/2 ... tians.html

“Before moving on from the James connection to Galatians, we should mention the collection of money for the poor in Jerusalem, as it is another central concern in this epistle. It is critical, because for Paul this collection brings with it a perception of legitimacy in the eyes of the Jerusalem church. The collection would allow him to alleviate (he hopes) some situation with Jerusalem. He seems to need a more positive relationship with that group for some reason. Why does he need this legitimacy so badly?”

A “central concern”? The concept to “remember the poor” (Gal 2:10) entails only one short line in the letter to the Galatians --- almost as an afterthought. (now the effort in Corinth is a more interesting story).

In the letter to the Galatians, Paul was not looking for legitimacy in the eyes of the Jerusalem group --- Paul was fighting for legitimacy and authority in the eyes of his congregation. In his story of his second visit to Jerusalem, Paul walked a fine-line between legitimizing and downplaying the importance of the Jerusalem group, but finished his story with the Jerusalem group already giving him legitimacy ---
“…they gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, agreeing that we (would go) to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.” (Gal 2:9)
What in Paul’s letter to the Galatians leads to a conclusion that Paul hoped a collection would alleviate some situation with Jerusalem?

robert j.
neilgodfrey

Re: The Mythicism Files --- Collection for the Poor

Post by neilgodfrey »

Roger Parvus argues that the section referencing the need to "remember the poor" was not original to Paul but a "proto-orthodox" interpolation: http://vridar.org/2013/11/02/a-simonian ... galatians/
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

There are numerous allusions to "The Poor" in NHC 6.1 "The Acts of Peter and the Twelve Apostles".

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Quixie

Post by Quixie »

robert j wrote:On the website “The Mythicisim Files” Quixie wrote,
http://mythicismfiles.blogspot.com.au/2 ... tians.html

“Before moving on from the James connection to Galatians, we should mention the collection of money for the poor in Jerusalem, as it is another central concern in this epistle. It is critical, because for Paul this collection brings with it a perception of legitimacy in the eyes of the Jerusalem church. The collection would allow him to alleviate (he hopes) some situation with Jerusalem. He seems to need a more positive relationship with that group for some reason. Why does he need this legitimacy so badly?”

A “central concern”? The concept to “remember the poor” (Gal 2:10) entails only one short line in the letter to the Galatians --- almost as an afterthought. (now the effort in Corinth is a more interesting story).

In the letter to the Galatians, Paul was not looking for legitimacy in the eyes of the Jerusalem group --- Paul was fighting for legitimacy and authority in the eyes of his congregation. In his story of his second visit to Jerusalem, Paul walked a fine-line between legitimizing and downplaying the importance of the Jerusalem group, but finished his story with the Jerusalem group already giving him legitimacy ---
“…they gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, agreeing that we (would go) to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.” (Gal 2:9)
What in Paul’s letter to the Galatians leads to a conclusion that Paul hoped a collection would alleviate some situation with Jerusalem?

robert j.
Thinking it over now, I think you may be right that I over-stress its centrality, and that the word "alleviate" was a poor choice there. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It's important to be precise and clear. I will try to do better.

I do think, however, that it does more than seek legitimacy from the congregation. I think it is also a tacit nod to "Yacob's" authority, if only indirectly.
Quixie

Post by Quixie »

or perhaps I should say Jerusalem ...
Quixie

Post by Quixie »

Thanks for the link re: interpolation, Neil ... I really like your blog.