The phenomenology of the historical jesus.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
outhouse

Re: The phenomenology of the historical jesus.

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:Outhouse, I have been rereading your posts, do you realise you are arguing with yourself about this? Why, are you getting a glimmer that it might be story and play and ritual all the way down?
You don't have a clue what I think, because most of the time im correcting what I perceive as your errors.

I understand mythology all to well, I know some legends are 100% mythology, so your not just wrong about a "glimmer" its ludicrous and desperate on your part to try and save face.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote: No idea how two huge empires that are now at least two and a half thousand years old - (been around the British Museum lately?) had any effect on some tribes in the Western Levant!
Then you have nothing to debate.

Your pathetic diatribe, only proves how little you know about this time period.

We all understand the Mesopotamian influence the exile had on these peoples, and not fully in many places, and we are not blind either, far from it, we can see the evolution of theology in the compilation of multiple traditions to unify such diversity.

Try talking English please, and start backing your position with credible sources, your links just show that you don't even understand the context in the literature.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Robert Tulip wrote:Derailing and missing the point is not fascinating, it is rude, and deserves to be ignored, at best.
Says mr pseudo history.

For religion, the primary phenomena are conceptual, taking the form of statements that believers assert hold meaning, together with the physical objects that relate to these concepts.

You can take the word "phenomena" and every time you and clive used it, and replace it with "ignorance" and it applies equally.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:And you have moved the goal posts.

I honestly wish, you knew where the goal post were.

Refute or agree with the wiki link, so we can move on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... _and_Judah
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

outhouse wrote: You don't have a clue what I think, because most of the time im correcting what I perceive as your errors.
This from the one who attacked me for supposedly doing the same to you instead of, supposedly, expressing my own thoughts. We're trying to do what you claim to be doing -- getting you to lift your game here.
outhouse wrote:I understand mythology all to well, I know some legends are 100% mythology, so your not just wrong about a "glimmer" its ludicrous and desperate on your part to try and save face.
But you run and hide when I ask you how you can tell the difference between mythology and history in three ancient documents.

By the way, just having a smattering of online education (and one that does not bother to help you with the fundamentals of correct and clear English expression) does not seem to be sufficient in your case to understand that the wikipedia article you quoted represents a common conventional view but does not represent what a significant number of scholars currently argue questioning that traditional understanding.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Clive wrote:
Phenomenology (from Greek phainómenon "that which appears" and lógos "study": the philosophical study of the structures of experience and consciousness.
I'd like to see studies and discussions abot the appearance, experience, and consciousness of Chrestus, Christos, etc; and the application of those terms before and around the narrative about Jesus of Nazareth.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

outhouse wrote:
Clive wrote:
t is accepted and well known. Jesus did not found Christianity.
OK.

Why then propose a historical Jesus? If aJesus is not required, what precisely is the problem with proposing literary, imaginative creation?
Who said he was not required?
Application of the historical method suggest that an historical Jesus may not be required to explain the rise of the Christian literary cult.

The Christian literary output seems to have started as the product of an underground literary school.

Today, well down the track, people can seriously consider a Phenomenological Exploration of Jesus and His Leader Development Process.
http://www.bgu.edu/phenomenological-exp ... nt-process

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

neilgodfrey wrote:
outhouse wrote:A traveling teacher staying in small poor Aramaic villages who was originally from Nazareth baptized by John, practicing Aramaic Galilean apocalyptic Judaism, teaching and healing, after taking over Johns movement and death. Made at least one trip to the temple where he caused trouble in the temple at Passover and was crucified for it under Roman rule.

This explains every bit of evidence we have today perfectly. Every last page.
The only detail it leaves unexplained is how such a teacher came to be worshiped as the divinity of a new religion.

At the end of the day, the answer to that question is by Imperial decree.
  • "We must not see the fact of usurpation;
    law was once introduced without reason, and has become reasonable.
    We must make it regarded as authoritative, eternal, and conceal its origin,
    if we do not wish that it should soon come to an end
    ."

~ Blaise Pascal, "Pensees"
In the earlier period, such a teacher came to be worshiped - underground - as the divinity of a new religion by the "church organisation".

The key feature of this worship was the preservation of the canonical NT literature and the Greek LXX.

LC
Last edited by Leucius Charinus on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Application of the historical method suggest that an historical Jesus may not be required to explain the rise of the Christian literary cult.
The fact Christianity arose and grew on the basis of literary constructs confirms this
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
outhouse wrote:A traveling teacher staying in small poor Aramaic villages who was originally from Nazareth baptized by John, practicing Aramaic Galilean apocalyptic Judaism, teaching and healing, after taking over Johns movement and death. Made at least one trip to the temple where he caused trouble in the temple at Passover and was crucified for it under Roman rule.

This explains every bit of evidence we have today perfectly. Every last page.
The only detail it leaves unexplained is how such a teacher came to be worshiped as the divinity of a new religion.

At the end of the day, the answer to that question is by Imperial decree.
https://craigbenno1.wordpress.com/2015/ ... istortion/
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science