The Best Case for Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: The Best Case for Jesus

Post by maryhelena »

outhouse wrote:
maryhelena wrote:
In your imagination.... :popcorn:

Sorry, your the one holding the fringe occult like, unsubstantiated position with no hypothesis that stands up to the evidence we are left with. One that goes against ALL education and knowledge, similar to creationist defending the supernatural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

There is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically

Almost all scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted

According to New Testament scholar James Dunn, nearly all modern scholars consider the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion to be historically certain.[61] He states that these "two facts in the life of Jesus command almost universal assent" and "rank so high on the 'almost impossible to doubt or deny' scale of historical 'facts' they are obvious starting points for an attempt to clarify the what and why of Jesus' mission
My my - last feeble resort of a dying theory desperate to hang on to the glory days of it's youth - play the numbers game...... :popcorn:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old ideas should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

With apologies to Dylan Thomas
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

maryhelena wrote:The historical Jesus? There is no historical record of such a figure. All that is there is either interpretation or hearsay.
outhouse wrote:Like it or not. He has historicity.
maryhelena wrote:In your imagination.... :popcorn:
outhouse wrote: Sorry, your the one holding the fringe occult like, unsubstantiated position with no hypothesis that stands up to the evidence we are left with. One that goes against ALL education and knowledge, similar to creationist defending the supernatural.
Tu quoque fallacy, and fallacy of false analogy
outhouse wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

There is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically

Almost all scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and most biblical scholars and classical historians see the theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted
Tautology; and fallacies of 1. appeal to authority; 2. appeal to tradition; and 3. appeal to numbers.

They simply assert without suitable evidence. The appeal to "modern scholars" ignores the significant body of theological scholarship of the mid-late 19th century that determined otherwise ie. German, Dutch and English theologians .

According to New Testament scholar James Dunn, nearly all modern scholars consider the baptism of Jesus and his crucifixion to be historically certain.[61] He states that these "two facts in the life of Jesus command almost universal assent" and "rank so high on the 'almost impossible to doubt or deny' scale of historical 'facts' they are obvious starting points for an attempt to clarify the what and why of Jesus' mission
"nearly all modern scholars" ... "consider" - yet, of course, flunkies like Dunn ignore the significant body of theological scholarship of the mid-late 19th century that determined otherwise eg. the Dutch Radicals
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:flunkies like Dunn
Your no one to talk down to those with a thousands times your education and knowledge. :lol:

Dutch Radicals

:lol:
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

maryhelena wrote: play the numbers game......
Creationist say the same thing.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:flunkies like Dunn
Your no one to talk down to those with a thousands times your education and knowledge. :lol:
Speaking of education and knowledge - It's "you're" as in "you are" :lol:

and, of course, you ignore the more substantive points -
  • The appeal to "modern scholars" ignores the significant body of theological scholarship of the mid-late 19th century that determined otherwise
    ie. 19th century German, Dutch and English theologians .

or what those 19th century theologians actually said
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:
Speaking of education and knowledge - It's "you're" as in "you are"
I type fast, most of the time from work. Grammar is not my strong point. I can admit my errors freely.

Changes nothing about your antiquated radicals, who lacked the modern education that we all have.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote: Changes nothing about your antiquated radicals, who lacked the modern education that we all have.
Ad novitam Fallacy - appeal to the modern
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

MrMacSon wrote:
outhouse wrote: Changes nothing about your antiquated radicals, who lacked the modern education that we all have.
Ad novitam Fallacy - appeal to the modern
Creationist say the same thing about biology.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote:Creationist say the same thing about biology.
??
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Bernard Muller wrote:to neilgodfrey,
There certainly is one such male and he certainly does appear in the story. The trick is in knowing how to tell when a story is narrating what really happened outside that story.
This is not an argument against my point.
Why would "Mark" add that Simon of Cyrene had two sons named Alexander & Rufus?
I think mentioning only Simon of Cyrene would have been enough. And there was no christological/theological benefit about Jesus' suffering being alleviated a bit by having someone else carrying his cross.

Cordially, Bernard
Hi Bernard. It seems that you have a lot of confidence in "names". I understand your thought. However, the nature of the use of names in GMark should not be overlooked. I would say, that the most positive person next to Jesus in GMark is explicitly a nameless woman (14:3,9).