Speaking in tongues and writing

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Speaking in tongues and writing

Post by neilgodfrey »

craig benno wrote:I pray and sing in tongues. Some say its a subjective experience...well yes it is...but then again, so is sex.
All experience has a subjective component to it. What the scholarly researcher is interested in is understanding such experiences in terms of a very wide range of evidence such that the experiences can be explained in terms of more general laws or principles. Your experience will be compared with similar experiences of other belonging to other religions, to the various social and other attributes of yourself and others, and all these against those who don't experience the same things . . . . etc.

There are psychological and anthropological explanations for your experience that are of the main interest to historians of religion.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Clive

Post by Clive »

I can also sing in the spirit and speak in tongues. It is a learned behaviour, like riding a bike. You are aware of the complexity of the group of nerve cells on top of your spine and what happens when these cells communicate with others on top of other spines? They do fascinating stuff like go to the moon and invent gods!
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

A core symbol of Christianity is a cross, the story is about god becoming a human in Jerusalem, the acknowledged centre of the universe.
Have a read of what Sheshbazzar wrote about the Latin cross and the Greek Stauros. The Cross enters the scene late with Helena, and Jesus is not found on it until the 6th or 7th century. In his place the Lamb is on the earlier (Latin) Cross. In the Gospel of Peter it talks and walks. Before the Latin Cross of Jerome was the Greek tree (timber / stake) upon which the god was strung.

I am the Alpha and Omega.
This did not enter the record on the coins of the Christian emperors until later in the 4th century. There is a story behind this.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
I am the Alpha and Omega.
This did not enter the record on the coins of the Christian emperors until later in the 4th century. There is a story behind this.
LC--

Suetonius, 12 Caesars, "Domitian":

"It was only after the victory [[over Vitellius]] that he [[Domitian]] ventured forth and after being hailed as Caesar, he assumed the office of city praetor with consular powers, but only in name, turning over all the judicial business to his next colleague. But he exercised all the tyranny of his high position so lawlessly...and in a single day he assigned more than twenty positions in the city and abroad, which led Vespasian to say more than once that he was surprised that he did not appoint the emperor's successor with the rest.

So, Domitian is hailed as Caesar before his father was proclaimed (in Rome...) and after, when he became Caesar. He is the "Alpha and the Omega".

CW
John T

Post by John T »

neilgodfrey wrote:
Clive wrote: I propose that there is more than enough evidence to hypothesise the emergence of new formulations of ancient arguments about life the universe and everything without any need for founder figures, however tangential they may or may not be.
Founders need a willing and receptive set of supporters to buy into their vision or they are destined to be loners, eccentrics, flash in the pan would-be achievers.

Founders can only work with ideas they are exposed to. They can reshape things in new ways but their raw material must always be drawn from their cultural world and it must strike the right chord with others in the same environment.

Founders are often very important but as catalysts and facilitators, not true originators.

I'd be interested to know of any clear historical exceptions to this rule.
Anaximenes of Miletus (545 B.C.)taught that air is a god, the substance out of which all other things are made, including the mythical gods. The gods have nothing to do with the origin of the universe. This new radical theory dominated the natural philosophy of the Presocratic philosophers.

6.10 "The stars came into being from the earth because moisture rises up out of it. When the moisture becomes fine, fire comes to be and the stars are formed of fire rising aloft. There are also earthen bodies in the region of the stars carried around together with them."...Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies.

One can see how the idea that life originates from the soul (that is to say air) and the immortal soul rises to the heavens after death.

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift