in defence of astrotheology

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Clive

Re: in defence of astrotheology

Post by Clive »

I am unclear about Hannam's qualifications, is he a populariser like Karen Armstrong?

In comparison
The Natural and the Supernatural in the Middle Ages

Part of The Wiles Lectures

AUTHOR: Robert Bartlett
How did people of the medieval period explain physical phenomena, such as eclipses or the distribution of land and water on the globe? What creatures did they think they might encounter: angels, devils, witches, dogheaded people? This fascinating book explores the ways in which medieval people categorized the world, concentrating on the division between the natural and the supernatural and showing how the idea of the supernatural came to be invented in the Middle Ages. Robert Bartlett examines how theologians and others sought to draw lines between the natural, the miraculous, the marvelous and the monstrous, and the many conceptual problems they encountered as they did so. The final chapter explores the extraordinary thought-world of Roger Bacon as a case study exemplifying these issues. By recovering the mentalities of medieval writers and thinkers the book raises the critical question of how we deal with beliefs we no longer share.
http://www.cambridge.org/gb/academic/su ... iddle-ages
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
Nothing particularly specific here.

LC
Look up references to the sun god(s) -- Helios (and Apollo) -- and the places where they appear in the literature.

Also ancient astronomy -- from Aristotle through to Ptolemy.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Clive

Post by Clive »

Is there something here about cycles? Sun going through the underworld at night and returning? Or dying and resurrecting? Reincarnation? Birth and death, young and old?

Is the xian story just another just so story trying to explain how the world works? Are dying and resurrecting, setting and rising, seasons - (Ecclesiastes?) just other ways to try and explain things?

Some of these stories got institutionalised with rituals and theologies and power structures.

Imagine what the religions of the world would look like if other stories had become institutionalised!
Clive

Post by Clive »

Have I just proposed cycletheology, astrotheology being an example?
Clive

Post by Clive »

It is all the fault of the invention of wheels, and the earlier type, the logs used to roll the bluestones to Stonehenge once they had been offloaded from the rafts!!
Clive

Post by Clive »

A definition of religion - religions are formalised just so stories with rituals and infrastructure like texts and priests and education systems and architectural structures that are attempts to explain the world and humans and how it works and why it is as it is.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Science are testable just so stories
Clive

Post by Clive »

Religions are utterly dependent on the technologies and understandings that are around them. Creationism is a symptom of a clash of technologies and world views.

Might the current issues of Islam be about a real conflict between its world views and those of everyone else?

Religions feel as if they are always reactive.
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Neil, unfortunately your question here (quote below) implying that Dionysus is not a solar deity is as ignorant as the comment of the early Christian apologist Arnobius in his idiotic Seven Books Against the Heathen 3.33.

This comment from Arnobius rejecting the equation of Dionysus (Bacchus) and the Sun illustrates that this belief was held. Of course Greco-Roman religion was solar, and the essence of solar religion is the worship of natural cycles, as illustrated in the death and rebirth myth of Dionysus that you quoted.

Why you would imply it was not so is a great mystery, given your abundant learning, except that you may have fallen prey to a sort of evidentiary cult whereby when dogmatists destroyed something you accept their word that it never existed.

You ask "why is this happening?" regarding your rejection of Dionysus as a solar God. It seems to be because you have some mental blockages.
Arnobius wrote:What! when you maintain that Bacchus, Apollo, the Sun, are one deity, increased in number by the use of three names, is not the number of the gods lessened, and their vaunted reputation overthrown, by your opinions? For if it is true that the sun is also Bacchus and Apollo, there can consequently be in the universe no Apollo or Bacchus; and thus, by yourselves, the son of Semele and the Pythian god are blotted out and set aside,-one the giver of drunken merriment, the other the destroyer of Sminthian mice. http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG1008/_P3.HTM
neilgodfrey wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:MrMacSon,

Are any of these dying and resurrecting gods solar gods in the Greek and Roman mythologies? I don't think so.

The myths that I recall have the sun god riding his chariot through Ocean on the underside of the world and returning again, or similar -- not dying and returning from death to life.
The Dying and Rising God. Because crops die in winter and return in spring, Dionysus was seen as a symbol of death and resurrection. In another story about his birth, Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Demeter, the goddess of crops and vegetation. Hera was jealous of the child and convinced the Titans to destroy him. Although Dionysus was disguised as a baby goat, the Titans found him, caught him, and tore him to pieces. They ate all of his body except his heart, which was rescued by Athena *. She gave the heart to Zeus, who gave it to Semele to eat. Semele later gave birth to Dionysus again. The story represents the earth (Demeter) and sky (Zeus) giving birth to the crops (Dionysus), which die each winter and are reborn again in the spring.

Read more: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Cr-Dr/D ... z3UP397fvk
I don't know how I can be any clearer with my question. Each time I have asked for dying and rising solar deities from Greek and Roman mythology and each time I have been getting responses about all sorts of NON-solar deities (or solar deities who are not said to die and resurrect from death again). Why is this happening?
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Clive wrote:Another question is what is a day and what happens to define the cycle of a day? Does the sun die and resurrect, or go to sleep, or go to the underworld, or continue on a path or what? Did people know the world was round and knew without putting it in words that the sun was orbiting? They knew that from the movement of the moon and the stars, why should they not have realised the sun was also going in circles?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth sets out the current Catholic apologetic view that “The myth that people in the Middle Ages thought the earth is flat appears to date from the 17th century.”

Allow me to cite a conflicting source. Former Professor of Psychology at the University of Sydney in Australia, William O’Neil, was also a historian of astronomy. In his magnificent book Early Astronomy from Babylonia to Copernicus, O’Neil makes the following claim, which I am typing up because I would like to know if his allegations about Tertullian, Lactanius and Kosmas are true:

“The early Christian Fathers contributed to the decline of the Hellenistic astronomy and other branches of science in both the west and the east of the empire. After Constantine had adopted Christianity as the official religion (early fourth Century) not only was paganism discouraged, if not suppressed, as a religion, but also pagans had obstacles placed in their way in teaching or otherwise promulgating views on secular matters where these views seemed to be in conflict with the Scriptures. Extreme examples of the rejection of Hellenistic astronomy were provided by Tertullian (early third century), by Lactanius (early fourth century) and by Kosmas (sixth century). Without differentiating amongst the details of their several views it may be said that they rejected the Hellenistic notion of the sphericity of the earth and of the universe in favour of a layered, flat, square scheme as suggested in Genesis. Indeed to varying degrees they tended to support the view that the Mosaic Tabernacle represented the shape of the universe. Rather than conceding that the Sun between sunset and sunrise passed underneath a spherical earth, such thinkers argued that at sunset it fell behind a mountainous wall and after passing south behind the wall rose again in the east. They could not admit that there was a ‘beneath’ to their supposedly flat earth.”

O’Neil is incorrect in his questioning whether paganism was suppressed (it was, violently). But it is a shame he does not cite his sources more specifically than the names of the three fools. It would be very good to get a scholar of the early dark ages to indicate if these idiots actually expressed this ‘sun goes round the south’ idea. I suppose it has a logic - the sun is good, hell is evil. If hell is under the earth, then it is repugnant to all proper magical faith to assert the sun goes to hell every night where it could be influenced by Beelzebub. Far better for Tertullian to imagine the sun chucks a left at sunset and switches course to track along the southern horizon.

[Note- the above comment is from http://www.booktalk.org/post128702.html#p128702] I will follow up with some subsequent research answering some of the questions raised.