Peter & James & the Church of Jerusalem not Christian?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Bernard Muller

Re: Peter & James & the Church of Jerusalem not Christian?

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Peter,
Maintaining that Hegesippus is unreliable tends to undermine your argument that he can tell us anything about James, but this does at least explain why you reject parts of the testimony / legendary account of Hegesippus.
I never said I would rate the passage from Hegesippus at 100% in favor of James not being a Christian. Far from that.
Incidentally, do you really believe that Hegesippus made a clear distinction between the idea of Christ and the idea of the eschatological Son of Man?
Your argument from silence depends on it.
That would have been so easy to have James declares that his bro is (present tense) King and/or the Christ, but he did not.
1 Cor 9 [ESV]
1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord? 2 If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. 3 This is my defense to those who would examine me. 4 Do we not have the right to eat and drink? 5 Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife,[a] as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?
[a] 1 Corinthians 9:5 Greek a sister as wife

This comes pretty close to declaring Cephas a brother who takes "a sister as wife." That seems to be the natural sense.
I doubt Paul meant "a sister as wife". That would be scandalous, regardless if "sister" meant blood relative or a female believer.
Translations abound. The one I prefer is "a sister, a wife". A "sister" as a female companion & believer if the apostle was not married, or a "wife" if he was married. For any of the two, one of their functions would to act as servant.
The Greek does not really say "a sister as wife" but "a sister wife".

I do not see your argument being very convincing. Except if you think Peter would be one of the brothers of the Lord, and these brothers of the Lord were just brothers, and not blood brothers of Jesus.
There aren't many references to Cephas, but reading the few we have doesn't lead one to conclude that he was an unbeliever.
http://historical-jesus.info/108.html

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:
1 Cor 9 [ESV]
1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are not you my workmanship in the Lord? 2 If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you, for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. 3 This is my defense to those who would examine me. 4 Do we not have the right to eat and drink? 5 Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife,[a] as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?
[a] 1 Corinthians 9:5 Greek a sister as wife

This comes pretty close to declaring Cephas a brother who takes "a sister as wife." That seems to be the natural sense.
I doubt Paul meant "a sister as wife". That would be scandalous, regardless if "sister" meant blood relative or a female believer.
Translations abound. The one I prefer is "a sister, a wife". A "sister" as a female companion & believer if the apostle was not married, or a "wife" if he was married. For any of the two, one of their functions would to act as servant.
The Greek does not really say "a sister as wife" but "a sister wife".
Your interpretation requires a Greek conjunction (ἤ, "or") that is not there.

To "prefer" a translation and then press it in a direction that isn't even required by the translation (since you frequently misread English, I would not be surprised if you don't even realize that much), and which is not supported by the Greek text, is just wrong.
Bernard Muller wrote:I do not see your argument being very convincing. Except if you think Peter would be one of the brothers of the Lord, and these brothers of the Lord were just brothers, and not blood brothers of Jesus.
Cephas can stand outside the group of the "brothers of the Lord" and still be a brother. Others do. Indeed, a reference to a brother or sister as a reference to a believer is your own criterion. Why run away from your own argument?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Peter,
Your interpretation requires a Greek conjunction (ἤ, "or") that is not there.
But I do not see "as" in the Greek either.
And "a sister as wife" would most likely end the career of an apostle, even his life!
Cephas can stand outside the group of the "brothers of the Lord" and still be a brother. Others do. Indeed, a reference to a brother or sister as a reference to a believer is your own criterion. Why run away from your own argument?
But Cephas is never called a "brother", neither the members of the Church of Jerusalem.
And I still do not see your point, even with "a sister as wife".

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:But I do not see "as" in the Greek either.
That was just part of the quote from the ESV. Take it up with them.
Bernard Muller wrote:And I still do not see your point, even with "a sister as wife".
If you don't see the point, then I won't belabor it further.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown