Greek writings

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
ficino

Re: Greek writings

Post by ficino »

Hi Kris, I looked at the web page for about three minutes, and I couldn't stand it anymore. It's clear that the person who wrote it does not know Greek. This person has little acquaintance with ancient literature. Someone who does not know Greek well and who just pokes around in secondary sources like Strong's, looking for the meaning they want, is unaware that Greek prepositions have a large range of meaning. You have to look at context and other factors. This person is not competent to do that.

Second, his/her insinuation that earlier translators should be followed because they were pious, and modern translators should be ignored because they were paid, is just a joke. It's not even worth constructing an argument to refute this.

Third, as I suggested above, the "X is like Y" stuff can go anywhere. Of course anything that can puncture is like anything else that can puncture in a certain way. So a syringe is like a snake's tooth in a certain way (though "syringe" comes from a Greek word meaning "reed"). It's time for Dana Carvey of the old Church Lady skits: "could it be .... SATAN?"

Maybe we're all fucked in the end, who knows. We only get one life. It's not worth wasting it following fantasies of ignorant fundies.

Your friend, ficino