Greek writings

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Kris

Greek writings

Post by Kris »

I have a question about things that were written in Greek-- I was arguing with someone over a website about the nefarious Mark of the Beast, and they stated that Greek words meant certain things that would look like a syringe-- hence microchips. I will share the site for you to see what I am talking about.

The main Greek words had to do with charagma and stigma for the number 6. From what I could tell, the only time charagma was used other than as an etching, stamp, or graven image, it was way back in 408bc written in a play by ◦Sophocles, Philoctetes. I am not sure if the original writing even exists, but I guess this word is used to describe the bite of a snake--.

With regard to stigma-- it seems like the Greek written in the Revelation may have used a "digamma" for the number 6 at that time, and stigma did not come into play until Medieval times.

Did the greek language change over time-- did words have different meanings? Is this site wacky? Help!!

Here is the info on the site:

Verichip and 666 - Epi, Charagma, and Chi-Xi-Stigma
There are many people out there pointing to microchips like the Verichip to fit the role of the Mark of the Beast. Most of the time Biblical evidence to support such claims is lacking. One may even begin to think that such support doesn't exist. But if we look closely at the Greek words directly associated with the Mark of the Beast, such as Epi, Charagma, and Chi-Xi-Stigma, it becomes clear that Biblical support for such a mark is very strong.
Epi - Looking into the Language of Revelation
in this series:
• Verichip and the Mark of the Beast
• 666 - Epi, Charagma, and Chi-Xi-Stigma
• Mark of the Beast in the Hand or Forehead?
• Gold, Money and The Mark of the Beast 666
• The Mark of the Beast as a Spiritual Symbol
• Biblical References to a Physical Mark
One of the most common claims against a microchip implant is that the Mark of the Beast is supposed to be "on" the hand or forehead and not "in" the hand or forehead. Do Revelation 13:16, Revelation 14:9-10, and Revelation 20:4 refer to a mark in the body or on the body?
The overwhelming majority of available translations opt for on. In fact, all modern versions use on. In contrast, all early versions from 1380 to 1833 side with in. That includes Wycliffe's Bible (1380), Tyndale's (1525), Coverdale's (1535), The Bishop's Bible (1568), The Geneva Bible (1587), the much beloved King James Version (1611), Wesley's Bible (1755), and finally Webster's Bible (1883). It wasn't until Darby's Bible in 1890 that doubt was cast against in.
It's not easy to discard the work of early Christian martyrs, or the 54 scholars that painstakingly translated the KJV by committee [1], as well as the work of the wordsmith Noah Webster, a man who single handedly wrote his own dictionary [2]. It would be foolish to write off such faith and dedication in favor of modern versions whose paid translators didn't have the foresight to see how "in" could actually make sense.
According to Strong's Concordance [3], both "in" and "on" are valid translations of the Greek word epi. Epi's many definitions include "into", "in a place", and "among", all of which perfectly describe the placement of modern day RFID implants such as Applied Digital Solution's Verichip. The Verichip is easily injected "into" the body, "in a place" of the hand or forehead, and remains "among" the flesh.
Strong's definition of "among" really starts to make sense when one considers the patented BioBond [4] coating that enables the surrounding tissues to fuse with an otherwise smooth glass capsule. BioBond was a solution to the problem of RFID microchips migrating when implanted under the skin of household pets. This coating makes the Verichip implant very difficult to remove without surgery and is what makes it "stick". In other words, like the Verichip, the Mark of the Beast is likely to stay once implanted.

Charagma - The Mark in Mark of the Beast
The Greek word for mark is charagma. Strong's Concordance defines charagma as "a scratch or etching", "a badge of servitude", "graven", and finally "mark" [5]. Strong's also notes that charagma is directly related to the Greek word charax, which means "to sharpen to a point" and also describes "a stake" [6].
As noted above, one of the definitions of Charagma is graven. The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines graven as follows: "1. To sculpt or carve; engrave. 2. To stamp or impress deeply; fix permanently."
From these definitions we get a clear picture of a surface being pierced by a sharp point, or the act of using a tool to engrave. The relationship between the Mark of the Beast (charagma) and a syringe that pierces the skin is obvious. It's also been noted that a microchip is etched or engraved during it's production [7].
The definitions of charagma — coupled with the fact that the Verichip is injected using a specialized syringe — make it clear that the Mark of the Beast could very well be a microchip injected into the hand.
The earliest use of the word Charagma outside of the Bible describes the piercing bite of a snake. There's a disturbing connection between the piercing serpent Satan (Isaiah 27:1), the "bite of the serpent" (charagma), and a syringe-injectable microchip like the Verichip. This verse brings to mind Revelation 13:1 which describes the Beast.
"[Charagma] is an engraved, etched, branded or inscribed 'mark' or 'sign'. Closest to the original sense[...] is the earliest example in Soph. Phil., 267, where [charagma] denotes the bite of a snake."
Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (vol 9, page 416)

"any mark engraved, imprinted, or branded, ch. echidnes the serpent's mark, i.e. its bite, sting"
Charagma - Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

I challenge you to think of something that resembles a syringe more closely than the fang of a snake!
The book of Amos mentions the day of the Lord and a serpent bite to the hand in consecutive verses. The lion and bear mentioned in the same passage also bring to mind the beast in Revelation 13:2. This may foreshadow the Mark of the Beast in the last days.
Amos 5:18-19
18. Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.
19. As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
There's an important warning in verse 18 about desiring the last days. Even though we may recogize the signs of the times, we should in no way desire or try to hasten them because they are full of pain and suffering. Consider the following:
He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him. Ecclesiastes 10:8
A hedge symbolizes protection, so let God take care of you! It may prove to be a blessing to give your life rather than accept the bite of the serpent, the charagma, the Mark of the Beast.
Chi-Xi-Stigma - Six Hundred Threescore and Six - 666
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. Revelation 13:18
Early Biblical translators chose to spell out the number 666 - Six hundred threescore and six. This is one of the rare exceptions in the English Bible where a number is spelled out instead of using a numeric representation. This treatment of 666 brings focus to the individual characters which allow us to gain a further understanding of the Mark of the Beast.
If we look at the Greek we see that 666 is presented with three letters: Chi - Xi - Stigma. The numeric values of these three Greek letters add up to 666.

Strong's Concordance gives stigma the following definition: "to 'stick' ... a mark incised or punched (for recognition of ownership) ... mark." With the definitions of stick, incised, punched, and mark, stigma is very close to the definition of charagma.
Stigma and charagma both support the idea of a syringe injectable microchip like the Verichip. Stigma has also made it into the English language where it's defined as "a mark of infamy or disgrace," there's an obvious carryover from its use in Revelation.
Token of Perdition
Philippians 1:28-29
28. And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
29. For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
Another intriguing definition of stigma in it's English usage is "token." Anyone familiar with digital security will recognize a token as a physical device that's used to gain various levels of access [8]. That's exactly what the Verichip is, a security token.
In three factor authentication this is known as "what you have". The other two factors are "what you know" - as in a password, birth date, pin, etc.; and "what you are" - as in biometrics, primarily face, iris, fingerprint, or vein scanning [9]. Like the Verichip, a security token almost always carries a unique number on it. One must wonder if this somehow relates to the three factor allegience to the Beast (Revelation 13:17).
The following news excerpts demonstrate the welcoming of such a security token.
Ultimately, the ideal solution for merchants will be a reader that is based on an open standard and capable of accepting each card's contactless token. The convergence of contactless payment
"I wanted to get chipped," he says. "It's entirely up to me what I put on my chip, I've been involved with authentication for 20 years, working with biometrics, and I was promoting the token. Now I am the token." RFID is literally getting under people's skin
The definition of "token" for stigma provides a hint that the mark will be readily adopted due its close relationship to money, identification, and commerce. And where any of these are found security is close by. Security will play a significant role in selling the Mark of the Beast (1 Thessalonians 5:3).
What's in a Name
There's another notable correlation between the Verichip and Chi-Xi-Stigma (666). One of the earliest public faces of Applied Digital Solutions was Digital Angel. Due to the alarming character of the technology it was quickly discovered that the Digital Angel logo contained a hidden but obvious 666 [10]. See the image below and also note the light that is centered on the forehead.

Digital Angel isn't the only product with a name or logo that links to 666. The connection between 666 and acquired products seems to have become a trend for Applied Digital Solutions' Verichip Corporation. If nothing else, they add to the mounting evidence which reveals the nature of the Mark of the Beast and 666. It's hard to write these off as mere coincidence.
A recent acquisition by Applied Digital Solutions is eXI Wireless. Remember that Xi is the 60 in 666. Another purchase is Xmark (who's products include WatchMate and Hugs). The similarities are obvious. Also worth mentioning is Somark Innovations, a company that manufactures invisible RFID ink used to tattoo cattle for tracking [11].
Even though Xi and Chi haven't carried into English like Stigma has, they still provide some insight into the Mark. Chi is depicted as an uppercase X and is used to symbolize Christ [12]. This possibly hints at the Antichrist's likening to a lamb with two horns (Revelation 13:11), refering to his probable Christian facade or promises of peace.
Many Eastern traditions also hold that Chi is an internal energy flow. While only a spiritual belief, it's still an interesting fact that future versions of the Verichip will run on an internal energy source named Thermo Life.
The shape of Xi as written in Greek shares a close likeness to a curled up snake ready to strike. Stigma also resembles a serpent that is coiled and ready to strike. This is another hint to Charagma as the bite of a serpent. And as noted by one of our readers, the antenna in the Verichip is a coil of wire.
Conclusion
• The Greek epi can be translated as "in" or "on", both are valid. Epi can also be translated as "into", "in a place", and "among". All English versions prior to 1890 translate epi as in.
• The Greek charagma is translated "a scratch or etching", "a badge of servitude", "graven", and "mark". Charagma is also closely related to charax which means "to sharpen to a point".
• The English word graven (one of the defintions of charagma as listed above) is defined as "To sculpt or carve; engrave" and "To stamp or impress deeply; fix permanently."
• The earliest use of the word charagma outside of the Bible describes the piercing bite of a snake. The fang of a snake closely resembles the syringe used to implant the Verichip.
• The number 666 was written in the original Greek with the letters chi xi stigma (600 60 6).
• The Greek stigma is defined as "to 'stick'", "a mark incised or punched (for recognition of ownership)", and "mark." This definition is very close to that of the Greek charagma.
• The Greek letters chi and xi both resemble a snake ready to strike. This coincides with charagma as the bite of a snake and the "piercing serpent" Satan who is associated with the Beast of the sea.
• Stigma made it into the English language where it's defined as "a mark of infamy or disgrace".
Charagma, epi, and chi-xi-stigma (666) all have important meanings. They paint the clear picture of a surface being punctured by a sharp point. After studying the Greek words its easy to see that the Mark of the Beast could be closely related to microchip implants like the Verichip which are injected through a syringe and are used heavily in commerce.
It's hard to ignore these similarities when the Verichip has already been used to buy and sell. We must honestly weigh all the evidence when considering such a possibilty. It's much more than just hype and coincidence so take heed.
Mark 13:4-6
4. Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?
5. And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:
6. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Bertie

Re: Greek writings

Post by Bertie »

I can't help you with χάραγμα except to answer, yes, some Greek words did change meaning in the 500 years between Sophocles and Revelation.

But I can tell you the basic meaning of ἐπί is "upon" in Modern English (not "inside" or "within"), but in King James Bible times "in" could have the meaning of "on, upon" regarding location or place (and so that's why they translated ἐπί as "in"). But even in King James times I don't think "in" meant "inside". (My source is my old print SOED, you might try an even bigger dictionary).
Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks for your response Bertie! It is hard to find good information on the Greek language-- and I find things seems to get twisted to fit people's needs. I just hate websites like this that sound authoritative but may not be providing correct information, but coincidental information!
ficino

Post by ficino »

Hi Kris, the Greek verb χαράσσω means to make something pointed or sharp, or to cut using something sharp. Any neuter noun ending in -μα, when formed from a verb, refers to something created or done by that action. So a γράμμα is a letter, something made by writing (γράφω), and so on.

A χάραγμα is a mark made by engraving or printing. From that it can also mean a document made in the same way. There are other extended meanings. You are right about the bite of the snake in Sophocles' Philoctetes. We don't have Sophocles' autograph manuscript, but there are later manuscripts of the play. It is also used of a brand on a camel, a stamp on a coin, or even an endorsement of someone (as though done by stamping approval, as we say metaphorically in English).

A στίγμα basically is a tattoo mark. In Herodotus, people who were devoted to the service of a temple could be marked with such tattoos, to identify them. Slaves and soldiers also could have such a tattoo. Then the word can be used of spots that look like tattoos.

Bertie is right that ἐπί in the verses you cited means on the surface of. It cannot mean under the surface of. There are different prepositions that would show location underneath or inside.

This 666 is a microchip stuff is the usual bullshit. If God considered it important that humans receive prophecies about microchips, what kind of a bumbler is God to inspire the relevant prophecy back in the fucking 1st century? These websites trade on the principle that Plato represented Protagoras as pointing out, i.e. "everything is like everything else in a certain way." My interpretation is that Moroccan women who henna their hands and foreheads are in fact the ones who are assuming the Mark of the Beast. Let the fundies go ahead and refute me! heh heh
Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks for your feedback Ficino! Do you think that Sophocles used this word for snakebite because it meant something different in his time? Or it was just another extension of the word? It seems like charagma definitely meant to etch or stamp-- either on coins or possibly tattooing or branding for ownership. And that this was also in reference to the ceasaers and their control and worship of them.
ficino

Post by ficino »

I'm guessing that Sophocles used that noun because in the myth, Philoctetes' wound did not heal. It was oozing and disgusting, and the Greeks abandoned him on their way to Troy. So it would have looked like a lasting shape of the snake's teeth, or something like that. So perhaps he wants to imply that Philoctetes is "marked." Also perhaps that noun fit into the meter; all tragedy is written in verse, so words have to fit the rhythm according to their long and short syllables.
Kris

Post by Kris »

So, just to confirm Ficino, you don't see any corrolation of a snakebite to a syringe-- like this website tries to purport?
Kris

Post by Kris »

I still hate it that these stupid websites can get to me!
ficino

Post by ficino »

No, I don't. But can you provide a link to the website?
Kris

Post by Kris »