Jesus in the Talmud

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Kris

Jesus in the Talmud

Post by Kris »

I would like to hear some input from others regarding the following passage in the Talmud as to what the highlighted area in red refers to:

MISHNAH. IF THEN THEY FIND HIM INNOCENT, THEY DISCHARGE HIM; BUT IF NOT, HE GOES FORTH TO BE STONED, AND A HERALD PRECEDES HIM [CRYING]: SO AND SO, THE SON OF SO AND SO, IS GOING FORTH TO BE STONED BECAUSE HE COMMITTED SUCH AND SUCH AN OFFENCE, AND SO AND SO ARE HIS WITNESSES. WHOEVER KNOWS ANYTHING IN HIS FAVOUR, LET HIM COME AND STATE IT.

GEMARA. Abaye said; It must also be announced: On such and such a day, at such and such and hour, and in such and such a place [the crime was committed], in case there are some who know [to the contrary], so that they can come forward and prove the witnesses Zomemim.32

AND A HERALD PRECEDES HIM etc. This implies, only immediately before [the execution], but not previous thereto.33 [In contradiction to this] it was taught: On the eve of the Passover Yeshu34 was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald went forth and cried, 'He is going forth to be stoned because he has practised sorcery and enticed Israel to apostacy. Any one who can say anything in his favour, let him come forward and plead on his behalf.' But since nothing was brought forward in his favour he was hanged on the eve of the Passover!35 — Ulla retorted: 'Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defence

Dilling Exhibit 47
Begins
could be made? Was he not a Mesith [enticer], concerning whom Scripture says, Neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him?36 With Yeshu however it was different, for he was connected with the government [or royalty, i.e., influential].'

Our Rabbis taught: Yeshu had five disciples, Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni and Todah. When Matthai was brought [before the court] he said to them [the judges], Shall Matthai be executed? Is it not written, Matthai [when] shall I come and appear before God?37 Thereupon they retorted; Yes, Matthai shall be executed, since it is written, When Matthai [when] shall [he] die and his name perish.38 When Nakai was brought in he said to them; Shall Nakai be executed? It is not written, Naki [the innocent] and the righteous slay thou not?39 Yes, was the answer, Nakai shall be executed, since it is written, in secret places does Naki40 [the innocent] slay.41 When Nezer was brought in, he said; Shall Nezer be executed? Is it not written, And Nezer [a twig] shall grow forth out of his roots.42 Yes, they said, Nezer shall be executed, since it is written, But thou art cast forth away from thy grave like Nezer [an abhorred offshoot].43 When Buni was brought in, he said: Shall Buni be executed? Is it not written, Beni [my son], my first born?44 Yes, they said, Buni shall be executed, since it is written, Behold I will slay Bine-ka [thy son] thy first born.45 And when Todah was brought in, he said to them; Shall Todah be executed? Is it not written, A psalm for Todah [thanksgiving]?46 Yes, they answered, Todah shall be executed, since it is written, Whoso offereth the sacrifice of Todah [thanksgiving] honoured me.47

Was this written as a tie in to the Jesus Pandera, whose father was supposedly a military man (government? or some sort of royalty?). I have seen apologists try to say that this line ties Jesus to the royalty of David, but don't think that is the case. Any thoughts?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Jesus in the Talmud

Post by Peter Kirby »

It's connected to the argument that witnesses for the defense of Yeshu had to be given time to be found ("Do you suppose that he was one for whom a defense could be made? Was he not an enticer? etc." but "With Yeshu however it was different.").

This sounds like it could connect to the ben Pandera legend, being his tie to (Roman) government and citizenship. His connections and status gave him the ability to find a defense, when otherwise it shouldn't have been granted to him. I agree that being a descendant of David would not suit the argument here; the argument is basically saying that Roman law interfered with the execution of the Jewish one.

The start of this argument is: "This implies, only immediately before [the execution], but not previous thereto." Yeshu is an exception because his herald had to go forth for 40 days before his execution. This is because he could not be summarily executed, even though Jewish law allows that he should, due to the delay provided by his "connection to government" (which seems to refer, logically, to Roman citizenship and the rights afforded Roman citizens).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown