Dom and Dominar. "Mark's" View of the Disciples

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Dom and Dominar. "Mark's" View of the Disciples

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
Time to test drive The Young Wolf's swell all-newing Search Engine:

BCH Archive

Mark's view of the disciples

Where I demonstrate and than some that "Mark" (author) had a primary purpose of discrediting supposed Jesus' disciples (dissed peoples). This Thread should be sent out into the World with its companion Thread:

"The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Peter

Brenda Deen Schildgen points out in A Blind Promise: Mark's Retrieval of Esther:
The verb pleroo (fill, fulfill, accomplish), however, occurs only once in the Gos-pel of Mark in relation to Scripture, when Jesus says at the time of his arrest, all hina plerothosin hai graphai. kai aphentes auton ephugon pantes ("'Let the Scriptures be fulfilled.' Then the disciples all deserted him and ran away" [Mk 14:49]).
14:49-50

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
14:49 4137 [e] plērōthōsin πληρωθῶσιν might be fulfilled V-ASP-3P
3588 [e] hai αἱ the Art-NFP
1124 [e] graphai γραφαί. Scriptures. N-NFP
14:50 2532 [e] kai καὶ And Conj
863 [e] aphentes ἀφέντες having leftV-APA-NMP
846 [e] auton αὐτὸν him, PPro-AM3S
5343 [e] ephygon ἔφυγον fled V-AIA-3P
3956 [e] pantes πάντες. all. Adj-NMP

4137. pléroó
Definition
to make full, to complete
NASB Translation
accomplish (1), accomplished (1), amply supplied (1), approaching (1), complete (1), completed (3), completing (1), elapsed (1), fill (3), filled (16), fills (1), finished (1), fulfill (20), fulfilled (20), fully carry (1), fully come (1), fully preached (1), increasing (1), made complete (2), made full (5), make...full (1), make...complete (1), passed (2), supply (1).
JW:
How ironic that the only time "Mark" presents a straight-forward supposed claim of prophecy fulfillment it is that the supposed disciples would abandon Jesus. This dove tales (so to speak) nicely with "Mark's" Jesus being unclear when speaking to his disciples regarding his Teaching & Healing Ministry but in contrast being clear to his disciples regarding his Passion Ministry. His disciples think they understand his Teaching & Healing Ministry even though he is unclear and do not understand his Passion Ministry even though he is clear (those Readers initiated into the mysteries of GMark understand that "understand" means "accept" and "do not understand" means "reject"). Marcion must have loved interpreting this.

Note that evil & wicked Christian translators have tried to hide "Mark's" point here by making the second part a separate verse. As spin would say "That's naughty". Even naughtier is that this same Church of Satan has forged another use of the offending word with a non-Markan type of use as previously indicated in this unholy Forum:

JoeWallack fulfilled, the KJV was reckoned with transgressor

Fat Bastard? "Even stink would say, "That stinks"".

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
neilgodfrey

Re: Dom and Dominar. "Mark's" View of the Disciples

Post by neilgodfrey »

JoeWallack wrote: How ironic that the only time "Mark" presents a straight-forward supposed claim of prophecy fulfillment it is that the supposed disciples would abandon Jesus.
It's the "only time" factor that has worried me about this passage. There are many other scriptural allusions throughout Mark that are never brought out as explicit fulfilments the way this passage is. It reminds me of oddities surrounding Mark's Nazareth reference in the opening chapter.

I can't help but suspect an early copyist has injected the phrase from his knowledge of Matthew.

And I wish I could remember if/where I think I may have read about this idea not too long ago.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Dom and Dominar. "Mark's" View of the Disciples

Post by Peter Kirby »

neilgodfrey wrote:It reminds me of oddities surrounding Mark's Nazareth reference in the opening chapter.

I can't help but suspect an early copyist has injected the phrase from his knowledge of Matthew.

And I wish I could remember if/where I think I may have read about this idea not too long ago.
The official position of the Ministry of Mythicism is that the Gospel of Matthew's parallel (Mt 3:13) to Mk 1:9 provides evidence of interpolation (of 'Nazareth') in the Gospel of Mark in this place (leaving the rest of the Gospel of Mark bereft of the mention of 'Nazareth').
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown