CCEL-Early Church Fathers (with links to download PDFs)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

CCEL-Early Church Fathers (with links to download PDFs)

Post by DCHindley »

I have the CCEL version of Hendrickson reprints of the Ante Nicene Fathers and the Nicene & Post Nicene Fathers series of volumes, which captures most all early Christian Fathers through about 400 CE or so, in Bibleworks (ver 8) software, which is difficult to search (it's buggy).

While CCEL does not seem to offer this as a download or stand alone CD (although I think it is in a $125 thumb drive edition of these and other works), I did find where the individual volumes can be downloaded as PDF files for FREE!!!!

Christian Classics Ethereal Library - Early Church Fathers (with links to download PDFs)
http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html

The CCEL edition includes:

The Ante Nicene Christian Library (24 volumes, 1867-1872)
Alexander Roberts & James Donaldson, editors

The "American Edition" of Roberts & Donaldson, was entitled The Ante Nicene Fathers (1885-1886)
A. Cleveland Coxe, editor

ANF 01 Apostolic Fathers-Clement of Rome - Mathetes - Polycarp - Ignatius - Barnabas - Papias - Justin - Irenaeus.pdf
ANF 02 Fathers of the 2nd Century-Hermas - Tatian - Theophilus - Athenagoras - Clement of Alexandria.pdf
ANF 03 Latin Christianity Founder-Tertullian pts l-3.pdf
ANF 04 Fathers of the 3rd Century 1-Tertullian pt 4 - Municius Felix - Commodian - Origen.pdf
ANF 05 Fathers of the 3rd Century 2-Hippolytus of Rome - Cyprian - Caius - Novatian - Appendix.pdf
ANF 06 Fathers of the 3rd Century 3-Gregory Thaumaturgas - Dionysius - Julius Africanus - Anatolius - Minor Writers - Methodius - Arnobius.pdf
ANF 07 Fathers of 3rd & 4th Centuries-1-Lactantius - Venantius - Asterius - Victorinus - Dionysius - Apostolic Teaching & Constitutions - Homily - Liturgies .pdf
ANF 08 Fathers of 3rd & 4th Centuries 2-Test 12 Pat - Excerpts & Epistles - Ps Clemetines - Apocrypha - Decretals - Memoirs of Edessa - Syriac Docs - Remains.pdf

A Cleveland Coxe (1887)

ANF 09 Bibliography (omitted in pdf) - General Index.pdf

Allan Menzies, editor (1896)

ANF 10 Supplemental Volume-Recently Discovered Additions to Early Christian Literature - Origin's Commentaries on John & Matthew.pdf

Note that CCEL flips the volume numbers of the original volumes 9 & 10. Volume 9 (CCEL calls it volume 10) was an index to the first 8 volumes, which had condensed Roberts & Donaldson's original 24 volume series. Volume 10 was a supplemental volume edited by Allan Menzies (CCEL calls this volume 9). While the PDFs use the CCEL volume numbers, I have retained the original volume numbers in the above list.

Nicene & Post Nicene Fathers

Philip Schaff, general editor

Series I (1886-1889)
NPNF 1-01 Augustine-Confessions-Letters.pdf
NPNF 1-02 Augustine-City of God-Christian Doctrine.pdf
NPNF 1-03 Augustine-On the Holy Trinity-Doctrinal Treatises-Moral Treatises.pdf
NPNF 1-04 Augustine-Anti Manichaean Writings-Anti-Donatist Writings.pdf
NPNF 1-05 Augustine-Anti-Pelagian Writings.pdf
NPNF 1-06 Augustine-Sermon on the Mount-Harmony of the Gospels-Homilies on the Gospels.pdf
NPNF 1-07 Augustine-Homilies of Gosp John-Homilies on 1 John-Soliloquies.pdf
NPNF 1-08 Augustine-Expositions on the Psalms.pdf
NPNF 1-09 Chrysostom-On the Priesthood-Ascetic treatises-Select Homilies & Letters-Homilies on the Statutes.pdf
NPNF 1-10 Chrysostom-Holilies on the Gospel of Matthew.pdf
NPNF 1-11 Chrysostom-Homilies on Acts & Romans.pdf
NPNF 1-12 Chrysostom-Homilies on 1 & 2 Corinthians.pdf
NPNF 1-13 Chrysostom-Homilies on Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians Thessalonians Timothy Titus & Philemon.pdf
NPNF 1-14 Chrysostom-Homilies on the Gospel of John & Hebrews.pdf

Series II (1890-1900)
NPNF 2-01 Eusebius-Church History 1 to 324 CE-Life of Constantine-Oration in Praise of Constantine.pdf
NPNF 2-02 Socrates-Church History 305 to 438 CE - Sozomenus-Church History 323 to 425 CE.pdf
NPNF 2-03 Theodoret - Jerome & Gennadius - Rufinus & Jerome.pdf
NPNF 2-04 Athanasius-Select Writings & Letters.pdf
NPNF 2-05 Gregory of Nyssa-Dogmatic Treatises-Select Writings & Letters.pdf
NPNF 2-06 Jerome-Letters & Select Works.pdf
NPNF 2-07 Cyril of Jerusalem - Gregory Nazianzen.pdf
NPNF 2-08 Basil-Letters & Select Works.pdf
NPNF 2-09 Hilary of Poiteriers - John of Damascus.pdf
NPNF 2-10 Ambrose-Select Works & Letters.pdf
NPNF 2-11 Sulpitus Severus - Vincent of Lerins - John Cassian.pdf
NPNF 2-12 Leo the Great - Gregory the Great 1.pdf
NPNF 2-13 Gregory the Great 2 - Ephriam Syrus - Aphrahat.pdf
NPNF 2-14 The Seven Ecumenical Councils.pdf

I just downloaded the lot of them, which will simplify things for me tremendously in the future.

DCH

Note: Corrected the spelling of the last name of the NPNF editor Philip Schaff 3/22/15 4:44pm EDST
Last edited by DCHindley on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHindley

Re: CCEL-Early Church Fathers (with links to download PDFs)

Post by DCHindley »

You, sir, are a cad and a bounder!

When you have time later today, perhaps you can fill out the list of translations each book contains, and provide the name of the translator, and while you're at it, dufus, why not also list the publication date for individual books?

Regards,

Your evil twin, Skippy :twisted:
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Well noted.

The amusing thing about this series is that it was actually a pirate edition. All the material was owned by T & T Clark in Edinburgh.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Roger Pearse wrote:Well noted.

The amusing thing about this series is that it was actually a pirate edition. All the material was owned by T & T Clark in Edinburgh.
That would be true with the Ante Nicene Fathers series.

If I am reading these copyright notices on copies I found scanned into archive.org, the Nicene & Post Nicene Fathers series one (Augustine & Chrysostom) also seems to have been published at Edinburgh as well as the US at the same time, late 19th century. I think there may have been a bit of overlap with the publication of the final volumes of the ANF series in the US. Unfortunately, in those wild ands wooly days, UK copyrights were not respected in the US, and possibly vice versa.

The second series of NFPF volumes, I think, were produced under some sort of joint venture, ca. 1900 and onwards.

DCH

PS: Skippy, hold your horses! I'll get to it ...