Richard Carrier slams Ehrman's latest book

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
perseusomega9

Re: Richard Carrier slams Ehrman's latest book

Post by perseusomega9 »

It's not my job to convince you to read anything, you can remain willfully ignorant all on your own. I'm just calling you out for your hypocrisy in relentlessly attacking authors you've never read. :thumbup:
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
John T

Re: The fact checking of Carrier begins

Post by John T »

I now have a library copy of the book; "How Jesus Became God" by Bart D. Ehrman.
So, I decided to start the fact checking process.

Right from the get go I have a problem. I can't find the quotes about Ehrman where Carrier claims they are to be found.
For example:

"Ehrman concludes that at least “some Christians were saying that Jesus was a preexistent being (a ‘later’ view) even before Paul began to write in the 50s–well before our earliest gospel was written” (p. 235), in fact, he admits, “it must have been remarkably early in the Christian tradition,” because “it was in place well before Paul’s letters” and thus did not originate in the time of the gospel of John as has commonly been insisted (p. 276)."...Carrier

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/

I tried to look up those quotes based on the page number Carrier gave and I can't find them. Now perhaps Carrier is quoting from a different format other than the hardcover book I have, if so, can anyone verify that Carrier had indeed quoted Ehrman correctly?

Thanks in advance. :popcorn:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

I found the latter quote (“it must have been remarkably early in the Christian tradition") on p. 279 on Google Books instead of p. 276, so I guess Carrier is using a different version. He links to the hardcopy version on Amazon in his blog post. Perhaps try a few pages after the page numbers he gives.

Also, your link should be: http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/6923. The one you gave is to his whole blog, rather than the blog post in question.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
John T

Post by John T »

GakuseiDon wrote:I found the latter quote (“it must have been remarkably early in the Christian tradition") on p. 279 on Google Books instead of p. 276, so I guess Carrier is using a different version. He links to the hardcopy version on Amazon in his blog post. Perhaps try a few pages after the page numbers he gives.

Also, your link should be: http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/6923. The one you gave is to his whole blog, rather than the blog post in question.
Thanks GDon.

I will follow your advice.
By the way, the link I provide is still good, but you have to scroll down, way down and you will still find his book review of Ehrman.

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

I understand, but if someone revisits this thread in a year's time (and don't doubt it will happen!) the blog post on Carrier's site will be buried so deeply it will be hard to dig it out.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse