Sons of Thunder --- Conclusions

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Sons of Thunder --- Conclusions

Post by robert j »

These concluding observations are best understood as a continuation my opening post in the thread --- “Sons of Thunder --- James and John in gMark” --- at this link --- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1423
“… and James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he added to them the name Boanerges, which is, the sons of thunder (Βροντῆς, Brontes).” (Mark 3:17).

... καὶ Ἰάκωβον τὸν τοῦ Ζεβεδαίου καὶ Ἰωάνην τὸν ἀδελφὸν τοῦ Ἰακώβου, καὶ ἐπέθηκεν αὐτοῖς ὄνομα Βοανηργές, ὅ ἐστιν Υἱοὶ Βροντῆς·
Here’s what I think Mark intended with both his nick-names for the brothers James and John in verse 3:17 --- “Boanerges” and “sons of thunder” ---

In this verse, Mark constructed two layers of meaning --- a surface meaning readily understood or explained, and a secondary, deeper meaning. The secondary meaning required a deeper level of understanding and exposition --- likely reserved for advanced initiates --- and constituted a polemic against the James and John found in Paul’s letter to the Galatians.

First, “Boanerges” --- generally described in the commentaries as a distorted, composite Aramism --- is, I think, a Greek composite word, likely constructed by Mark.
The surface meaning and the deeper meaning are both represented in the first portion of the word βοανεργες (Boanerges). The surface meaning is found in the Greek verb βοα (boa), meaning to shout or cry-out.

The deeper meaning is found in the Geek noun βοας (boas) --- meaning bovine; oxen or bulls (masculine, plural).

The rest of the composite word comes from the Geek ενεργεια (energeia), meaning activity, operation, action, a force, or energy.

In the Greek, energeia is used in a wide variety of compound words.
Mark made-up his own compound. Here are Mark’s two layers of meaning for βοανεργες ----

βοα (boa) + ενεργεια (energeia) = energetically and forcefully speaking out.

And the deeper meaning,

βοας (boas) + ενεργεια (energeia) = activity or work by oxen. Note, in nearly all cultures, bovine used for work are male (larger and stronger) and are castrated (for docility --- one rarely plows a field or pulls an ox-cart with a bull).

Now for “sons of thunder.” (Brontes), Βροντῆς in Mark 3:17 ---
The surface meaning --- The Greek βροντῆ (bronte) meant “thunder” in the common usage.

The deeper meaning, and the term used by Mark, was “Brontes” (Βροντῆς) the mighty cyclops from deep in Greek mythological time, as I have described in my post with the link above.
See also the LSJ --- http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... bro%2Fnths

Putting all this together ---
The surface meaning of this verse (Mark 3:17) was along the lines of ---
James and John, nick-named Boanerges (those who spoke out loudly and energetically) like sons of thunder.

And the deeper meaning ---
James and John, nick-named Boanerges (castrated workers) who were imprisoned again in a "yoke of bondage" to the entire law (Gal 5:1-3), like the ancient cyclops “Brontes” who was imprisoned again even after the castration of his father. This a polemic on James and John, those of the circumcision, in chapter 2 of Galatians --- again, see my post with the link at the top here for more information on the relationship with Galatians.

Paul’s 3 pillars in Galatians --- Peter, James and John --- are the main-men in gMark, besides Jesus. The author of gMark clearly and openly portrayed these disciples in a negative light.

In addition, I think Mark constructed within his tale deeper layers of polemics against these men --- some based on situations found in Paul’s letters. Such efforts by the author of gMark reveal a Pauline orientation beyond that generally recognized.

robert j.
Last edited by robert j on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:07 am, edited 7 times in total.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: Sons of Thunder --- Conclusions

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

A very good conclusion. Fine work, Robert!