Manuscript evidence

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Roger Pearse

Re: Manuscript evidence

Post by Roger Pearse »

stephan happy huller wrote:Still though it is one thing to argue that the historical information about Jesus is unreliable and another thing to make the case that Jesus never existed.
True. To find reasons to ignore the evidence, and then argue non-existence from a manufactured absence of evidence involves two failures of logic and reason before we even consider what the arguments might be.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
dewitness

Post by dewitness »

Roger Pearse wrote:
stephan happy huller wrote:Still though it is one thing to argue that the historical information about Jesus is unreliable and another thing to make the case that Jesus never existed.
True. To find reasons to ignore the evidence, and then argue non-existence from a manufactured absence of evidence involves two failures of logic and reason before we even consider what the arguments might be.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
How in the world can absence of evidence be manufactured? It is evidence that is manufactured.

Once Jesus did not exist then it was expected that evidence would be manufactured.

We have the NT manuscripts and Codices which is probably the largest collection of forgeries and fiction known to mankind throughout our entire history.
Blood

Post by Blood »

Roger Pearse wrote: We have no concern with whether there is a theological claim in all this.
I'm afraid it's too late for that. Jesus was/is a theological figure. He may also have been an historical figure, but his supposed historicity is so bound up with theology that the two cannot be separated. It's quite possible that a fictional figure later became historicized. As has happened countless times throughout the ages.
Roger Pearse wrote: Our concern is purely with history here. History concerns all sorts of things, most of which have some kind of political or theological angle or other, if we choose to see one.
Again, we don't have a "choice" in this matter. Jesus is a theological figure first and foremost. His "historicity" is almost an afterthought, a minor issue of concern only to religious scholars. Millions are interested in Jesus because they think they'll meet him when they die.
Roger Pearse wrote: But to do history we have to escape from all the shouting. The reason that I chose Aristotle's will, as an example, is that nobody is invested in whether it exists or not.
Nobody's ever claimed (as far as I know) that Aristotle is God. Aristotle has never existed primary as a supernatural being who welcomes people into heaven. So in order to make the comparison to Jesus, we need to find similar examples of figures who existed in the human imagination primary as supernatural beings.

Roger Pearse wrote: So we can work out some principles without lots of politics. Getting some sound and unbiased principles, which we can apply regardless of whether people have axes to grind, is the requirement, surely?
Sure, as long as we don't forget historical contexts, and mankind's incredible ability to believe almost anything.
Roger Pearse wrote: As for this "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" business ... how, **in practice**, is it different from "claims that I do not want to believe require extraordinary evidence"? Is it ever used for any other purpose? (It is not used in any scholarship or science that I am familiar with, since it starts, not with data, but with a presupposition that some data should not be heard).
That's because no one in the sciences would make an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence, if they value their reputation. And nearly all of them are intelligent enough to know that real science advances a millimeter at a time. They keep their claims small and falsifiable. Something religion's never done.
Roger Pearse wrote: When we investigate something in an ancient culture, our main problem is the prejudices we bring to it, as people living 2,000 years later in a different culture etc. Our main effort is to descope these. So that "extraordinary claims" business is the reverse of what we want to do.
Right, except that historians have unfortunately inherited an extraordinary claim -- God assumed the form of a man in Israel 2,000 years ago and still lives today above the clouds somewhere. So, again, we are dealing with a claim of an entirely different type than we are with Aristotle or most other figures of the ancient world.
As Justin Martyr said, the claims he and other Christians made about Jesus were no different than those made about Perseus or other sons of Zeus.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

The real problem is the insular nature of the Christian community.
You know, the question raised here was whether or not the lack of first century witnesses to Jesus should be seen as assisting the argument that Jesus never existed. I don't see how this holds true. It might make it difficult for us to prove that Jesus did in fact exist but it can't be used as an argument for the fact he didn't exist.

Now you come on with this argument that Christians were insular. I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand. The story is in some form or another that a thing called Jesus - whether a man or a God isn't the question here for the moment - appeared in Judea in the first part of the first century. What sort of manuscript evidence would you expect for this sort of thing? As Celsus notes the Jews were seen as a remote backwards people who never did anything of note:
The Jews, then, leading a grovelling life in some corner of Palestine, and being a wholly uneducated people, who had not heard that these matters had been committed to verse long ago by Hesiod and innumerable other inspired men, wove together some most incredible and insipid stories, viz., that a certain man was formed by the hands of God, and had breathed into him the breath of life, and that a woman was taken from his side, and that God issued certain commands, and that a serpent opposed these, and gained a victory over the commandments of God; thus relating certain old wives’ fables, and most impiously representing God as weak at the very beginning (of things), and unable to convince even a single human being whom He Himself had formed.
Celsus questions even why God would have sent his messenger for all people to these particular people. But that is the nature of the question - given that it was to these people that Jesus appeared, how much manuscript evidence would you expect to help verify his existence. My answer - not much.
Everyone loves the happy times
dewitness

Post by dewitness »

stephan happy huller wrote:
The real problem is the insular nature of the Christian community.
You know, the question raised here was whether or not the lack of first century witnesses to Jesus should be seen as assisting the argument that Jesus never existed. I don't see how this holds true. It might make it difficult for us to prove that Jesus did in fact exist but it can't be used as an argument for the fact he didn't exist.
You are wrong. All arguments for non-existence are always based on lack of evidence. There is no other choice. It would be virtually impossible to argue that Jesus never existed while showing there is evidence for his existence.

There is no evidence for Romulus the founder of Rome in any century.

Are you willing to argue Romulus the founder of Rome did exist?

Romulus the founder of Rome NEVER existed just like Jesus of Nazareth.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Blood wrote:
Roger Pearse wrote: We have no concern with whether there is a theological claim in all this. Our concern is purely with history here. History concerns all sorts of things, most of which have some kind of political or theological angle or other, if we choose to see one.
I'm afraid it's too late for that. Jesus was/is a theological figure. ... (etc)
Your post appears to be a reiteration rather than a reply. You will find your points dealt with above.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Roger Pearse wrote:Consider the history of events in Roman Britain after the death of Theodosius I in 396 AD. Our best source is Zosimus, living in Constantinople in the early 6th century, well over a century later, writing in Greek, and in a world in which the western empire had ceased to exist in any sense 50 years earlier, never mind remote little Britain. We have very little else to go on.

Or we could talk about whether the establishment of the date of Christmas, presumably in the early 4th c., is connected to the cult of Sol Invictus. If we do, as a web search will reveal, sooner or later someone discusses the testimony of the scholiast on Dionysius bar Salibi; a 13th century Syriac writer who probably never visited any part of what had been the Roman world 9 centuries earlier.

Or we might discuss the lives of the sages and philosophers of ancient Greece; the will of Aristotle, from the 4th c. BC, is preserved only in Diogenes Laertius, writing in the 4th c. AD.

Now we may certainly decide, if we like, that we aren't satisfied with the evidence in any of these three cases. We would rather not know, than rely on our only sources of information. We may, if we choose, use this kind of argument to show that "history is mostly bunk". This is obscurantism, pretending not to know what we do know, making ourselves ignorant of what is in fact known. It's a choice; to be educated, or ignorant. I hope we would all choose the former.

In ancient history we work from what is transmitted to us. It is little enough. Only polemicists find excuses to ignore any of it.
But surely, Roger, the specter of the false positive should concern us. Or do you maintain that accounts written at a remove of eight centuries have never led a historian wrong?

Even ancient historians need to establish a hierarchy regarding the value of the evidence they have, if only because our sources do not always agree with each other or with archaeology. In the process of so determining what is weaker and stronger evidence, even for the purposes of a non-"polemical" (maximalist) agenda that you describe, we will incidentally make some headway in determining what is better and stronger evidence, as contrasted with the whispering winds to which we listen only for lack of an alternative.

It's not very much surprise that the supreme position of evidence in ancient history is not any different to that in any other department of history, with priority among texts given to first-hand accounts written close to the events recorded in sources that can be reliably assigned authorship, provenance, and date... and with priority above that given to authenticated physical evidence that is not as susceptible to the falsifications to which literary evidence fall prey.

The only ones who aren't happy with the situation of relative certainty and uncertainty in ancient history are not, in fact, the ancient historians, but a breed of the Christian apologist for whom the results they want out of ancient history are necessary planks in their apologetic scheme, which must be seen as buttressed to the maximum extent, even if this means lowering the bar enough to make the implication that only a besotted, tendentious fool would call into question hearsay at the remove of eight centuries.

Best regards,
Peter Kirby
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Roger Pearse wrote:We have no concern with whether there is a theological claim in all this. Our concern is purely with history here. History concerns all sorts of things, most of which have some kind of political or theological angle or other, if we choose to see one. ....
The theological angle is that there is a theological claim.

The first sources about the primary subject at hand - Jesus of Nazareth - are, as dewitness keeps pointing out, the statements in the canonical gospels, and likely concurrent apocryphal/gnostic 'gospels', about a non-human spiritual Jesus.

It is somewhat relevant that gnostic is derived from gnosis - knowledge.

The only preliminary knowledge we have of Jesus is theological claims about a Ghost.

Roger Pearse wrote: As for this "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" business ... how, **in practice**, is it different from "claims that I do not want to believe require extraordinary evidence"?
Do not want to believe what? non-facts?
Last edited by MrMacSon on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

I have restored the context; not sure that the response is actually on the same subject, now I look.
Peter Kirby wrote:
Roger Pearse wrote:
katherinetrammell wrote: what actual, physical, first century proof is there of Jesus? This could include papyri, wall scribblings, pot shards, clay tablets, stelae, tapestry, stone monuments...all dated to at least 35-40 AD. Sorry, but copies and claims or copies or one's "feelings" cannot be used as proof....in science, or a court of law.
Ancient history is not done like this, I am afraid.

Consider the history of events in Roman Britain after the death of Theodosius I in 396 AD. Our best source is Zosimus, living in Constantinople in the early 6th century, well over a century later, writing in Greek, and in a world in which the western empire had ceased to exist in any sense 50 years earlier, never mind remote little Britain. We have very little else to go on.

Or we could talk about whether the establishment of the date of Christmas, presumably in the early 4th c., is connected to the cult of Sol Invictus. If we do, as a web search will reveal, sooner or later someone discusses the testimony of the scholiast on Dionysius bar Salibi; a 13th century Syriac writer who probably never visited any part of what had been the Roman world 9 centuries earlier.

Or we might discuss the lives of the sages and philosophers of ancient Greece; the will of Aristotle, from the 4th c. BC, is preserved only in Diogenes Laertius, writing in the 4th c. AD.

Now we may certainly decide, if we like, that we aren't satisfied with the evidence in any of these three cases. We would rather not know, than rely on our only sources of information. We may, if we choose, use this kind of argument to show that "history is mostly bunk". This is obscurantism, pretending not to know what we do know, making ourselves ignorant of what is in fact known. It's a choice; to be educated, or ignorant. I hope we would all choose the former.

In ancient history we work from what is transmitted to us. It is little enough. Only polemicists find excuses to ignore any of it.
But surely, Roger, the specter of the false positive should concern us. Or do you maintain that accounts written at a remove of eight centuries have never led a historian wrong?

Even ancient historians need to establish a hierarchy regarding the value of the evidence they have, if only because our sources do not always agree with each other or with archaeology. In the process of so determining what is weaker and stronger evidence, even for the purposes of a non-"polemical" (maximalist) agenda that you describe, we will incidentally make some headway in determining what is better and stronger evidence, as contrasted with the whispering winds to which we listen only for lack of an alternative.
A query: by the "false positive", I understood you to mean statements in the data which are not actually true? (I will continue on the basis that this is what you had in mind, but of course I may misunderstand here).

I agree entirely that ancient authors may indeed be mistaken; they may be unwilling to say some facts for political or other reasons; they may lie to us. In short, they are human beings. But I suggest that it is a great mistake for us to start by choosing which bits of data we will listen to, on the basis that some of them may be lying to us. We must let the data speak, and, hesitantly, evaluate what it says. Inconsistencies in it, if we have enough, will tell us something; maybe even that some of the sources are in fact misleading.

What we get from antiquity is a relatively small body of data, invariably very much less than we might desire, and not infrequently a single source, often late. Consequently we must use it all. If we do decide that a source is unreliable, we retain it, but mark it as our opinion (not a fact) that it is unreliable.

Most bad scholarship is done because people are far too quick to discard data that contradicts their preconceived theory. Better far to have no theory, and see what the data says.
It's not very much surprise that the supreme position of evidence in ancient history is not any different to that in any other department of history, with priority among texts given to first-hand accounts written close to the events recorded in sources that can be reliably assigned authorship, provenance, and date... and with priority above that given to authenticated physical evidence that is not as susceptible to the falsifications to which literary evidence fall prey.
This sounds to me rather like a picture of how *modern* history is done. Such an approach presupposes loads of sources, far more than we can use, which we must sift and select from; where we may reasonably expect eyewitnesses to exist, to be well informed, and for secondary sources to be derivative of extant material (which we should certainly use instead).

Ancient history is not done like this, not because we should not like to, but because we don't have that kind of profusion of data. Often we don't know how we might sort them, because we don't even know how close to the action the sources are. In ancient history we use *everything*, and wish we had more. This is why I referred to the scholiast on Dionysius bar Salibi - no solar scholar would dream of ignoring that testimony, despite being 9 centuries later in a vastly different world. You use what you can get. You don't discard a source because of the calendar! To do so is a modern history thing, where you have to find *some* way - any way - to cut down the pile of sources to manageable proportions.

We might compare Tacitus on Tiberius with Velleius Paterculus. The latter is contemporary, the former hated Tiberius like poison and wrote 70 years later. But Tacitus is our main source.

Of course it is possible to take the view, on this basis, that "ancient history is mostly bunk". But this is obscurantism.
The only ones who aren't happy with the situation of relative certainty and uncertainty in ancient history are not, in fact, the ancient historians, but a breed of the Christian apologist for whom the results they want out of ancient history are necessary planks in their apologetic scheme, which must be seen as buttressed to the maximum extent, even if this means lowering the bar enough to make the implication that only a besotted, tendentious fool would call into question hearsay at the remove of eight centuries.
It is, of course, never difficult to find reasons why people we disagree with adopt methods we disapprove of.

We really have two choices as regards ancient history; we can write it based on the data; or we can write a fairy-story and decorate it with whichever bits of data we find convenient, and refer to the remainder as unreliable. The latter cannot be anything but subjective, and the narrative that results will invariably tell us only the time and place in which the modern author wrote. There is too much of it.

If the data is contradictory, then, to write a narrative, we will seek in the data explanations of that contradiction. In some cases we may find a reason why some writers say this, or that. But ... what we are always, always trying to do, is to avoid imposing a modern perspective on it all.

Data first, deduction later.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
Last edited by Roger Pearse on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

[Deleted]