The Other Interpretation of Paul's Letters

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
outhouse

The Other Interpretation of Paul's Letters

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:I wasn't really completely clear. My point was that it is a historicist interpretation that is lurking behind the summary of Paul that he was a man who died and rose to heaven. My question was not christological locomotion in the heavenly spheres so much as that this capsule summary did not pay close attention to the exact wording of Paul, none of which suggest a heavenly ascension from the surface of the earth like we see in the gospels.
This is not an attack on your methodology. This is an understanding of Pauls Christology which while in context, not fully understood, still leaves us with a great view of what his community believed. My summary stands in context. Pauls scripture is complex, and this is complexity is exploited out of context by Doherty, IMHO.

There is so much to take in here, to even begin to take this all into a rapidly changing context.

Ouranos
Kingdom of god
Kingdom of heaven, even though a concept in Matthew, doesn't discount it wasn't used earlier.
Apocalyptic Judaism
Christology
Resurrection
Heaven as a name for god
Second coming
Third heaven from Enoch

Are all tied into the context of Paul's communities epistles. And each verse needs to be examined un detail not lumped into a category.

A challenge is the multiple uses of Ouranos when its meant as a living relationship with the concepts involved. As well as parallels with paradise as the lowest level of heaven, by some that used to touch the earth.

2 Corinthians 12:2-4King James Version (KJV)

2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)

4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Even Pauls community thinks a man and spirit can enter this place, as noted with the uncertainty.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4King James Version (KJV)

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Where did he rise to? We are talking about the lord, the Christ, Gods son. I don't think this takes any leap of faith what so ever to think he did not rise from death and go past the earthly realm. I think it was so obvious, he did not have to rhetorically build it up. Paul wrote in rhetorically prose, and often was writing to persuade or justify his position. This is a topic he did not even have to address in full. he did not have to spell it out as it was already agreed and believed in full as part of their core theology.

We cannot ignore that some of the gospel traditions probably did exist, when Paul a primary source flat tells us he was not the only teacher, and that there were other written sources.

And piling more assumptions on this, we know we only have a fraction of the text that once existed.

But, none of this is needed in light of what Pauls community tells us. Its clear he believes Jesus was buried and was resurrected and lives in heaven.

Paul also uses a rabbinical style transmission of the resurrection, that he received and passed on to the houses in Corinth, leading many scholars to believe this was a pre Pauline existing creed.

Ephesians 1:20

he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,

Sorry brother, I don't see how my words and these really differ. You would need to show the tradition of dead not having a place on the earth.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Still working on a hypothesis against Doherty and Carrier, But here is more then your hour back at ya.
outhouse

Re: Vinny's Jesus Agnostic Blog

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:
You haven't helped me figure it out, unfortunately.
Im not sure I ever could. And im not sure I even understood your questions correctly.

Im offering only my limited opinion, my observations.

Unfortunately we do not get any historical references from Paul for when and where on earth Christ was staked, if it even were on earth.
I stated this earlier and I think it was overlooked.

Pauls community wrote rhetorically to persuade others their opinion was the one to follow. That their opinion was as close to gods ways, as they were going to find.

For Pauls community to teach, Jesus existing and being killed on earth, would be the same as a algebra professor explaining to the class how to add 1 + 1. He is not going to get into it. IMHO.

Paul still talks about these things, but he is vague as there is no reason to go over known material.

Of course, Joseph of Arimathea or any other human being didn't have the ability to get him down there, so that sort of counts against the idea that humans killed him.
Sorry I did not see that in your reply. You covered a lot of ground in that reply, sorry if I missed it in this context.

When he died he did not go into the abyss?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:but it is very hard to say what was understood from our vantage point

Agreed.

But some things can be taken for granted until shown otherwise.

I understand the multiple communities involved, and Pauls epistles are not just from him, so you may have the possibility for multiple Christologies here, added to the evolution of concepts under the later pseudepigraphical authors.

But does it really change the foundation Doherty attacks?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

outhouse wrote: Pauls community wrote rhetorically to persuade others their opinion was the one to follow ...

For Pauls community to teach, Jesus existing and being killed on earth, would be the same as a algebra professor explaining to the class how to add 1 + 1. He is not going to get into it.
Do you see the contradictions between the first and second sentences here?
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

outhouse wrote:Paul still talks about these things, but he is vague as there is no reason to go over known material.
Sounds like Casey's "high context culture". This didn't convince me then, either.
outhouse

Re: A Non-HJ Interpretation of Paul's Letters

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote: We're just exploring the evidence and interpretations, as they seem fit.
And its being done in a mythicist way dictated by Earl who had no real biblical training.

The whole MJ concept for Paul as stated requires us to throw out the gospels and investigate Paul. OK I can do that as Paul stands on its own. The error here, and I might add its a pretty pathetic error, is that the MJ's are taking all Pauls work and lumping into a corpus and viewing his epistles and the pseudepigrapha as a whole.

People are doing exactly what apologist do, and cherry picking content and context from all his work to reach a single agenda.

REALITY is each epistle stands on its own, and must be evaluated alone. Context is key here.

His Epistles as addressed to each community do not imply a heavenly only Jesus. Fact. Each community did not get multiple Epistles. The Epistles were each in context meant to be read as one at a ime.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

outhouse wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote: We're just exploring the evidence and interpretations, as they seem fit.
And its being done in a mythicist way
You and Bernard both show the same feebleness of mind when you recoil just as soon as you realize that you can classify some thought as "mythicist." Oh noes, the mythicists are coming! The mythicists are coming! Batten down the hatches! We should be better than that, at least.
dictated by Earl
That's just false, as I've indicated that I fundamentally disagree with Earl Doherty's interpretation and several of his judgments.

Also, Earl Doherty is a pretty cool guy, he interprets epistles and doesn't afraid of anything. 8-)
The error here, and I might add its a pretty pathetic error, is that the MJ's are taking all Pauls work and lumping into a corpus
A "pathetic error"? Now you are really grasping at straws. The same thing is done by, I dunno, every scholar of Paul, ever. Everybody looks at the epistles as individual products but also, at least if they believe they were written by the same person, tries to infer something about that author.
His Epistles as addressed to each community do not imply a heavenly only Jesus. Fact. Each community did not get multiple Epistles. The Epistles were each in context meant to be read as one at a ime.
Whether the epistles were addressed to one community or several (and yes, I realize that they are not addressed to just one) doesn't unlock the meaning of them. You sound scared, witless, and desperate to come up with anything to reject "a heavenly only Jesus" interpretation.

You should be able to explain how an epistle being addressed to one community at a time means a goddamn thing as to the christology of Paul and that this isn't just some non sequitur you're pulling out of your ass in a weak attempt to sound like you have a point.
Context is key here.
You know what's even more key? Not throwing around platitudes as if they settled any particular point. Context is always key, and the sky is blue, and if you stand too close behind a horse when it's in a bad mood you might lose a few teeth.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Sorry I was at work and now im home where I can put more into this. I was rushed in posting my OP. I read half of Romans tonight and was thinking what the hell was Doherty and Carrier thinking.
Peter Kirby wrote:A "pathetic error"? Now you are really grasping at straws.
Its not grasping at straws . Think about it. Take Romans, he is sending that to who ever, but he is sending that as a single Epistle/letter. And as we read his Epistle/letter header he states

1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; (1:3)

1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

This is the context of jesus as he is reporting to the Romans. He goes out of his way to claim relationship to David and flesh, then adds to it by placing him as "son of god" the same title as the living mortal Emperor on earth, and Jesus resurrection from the dead.

Paul is saying something here, this is how he is addressing the community. He is not saying his heavenly creation, or a heavenly Jesus. In context, he is making sure the Romans understand jesus was a very mortal man. BUT he is not driving it home like it is in any kind of dispute either. He is not rhetorically attacking the subject as he does when he has a passion to prove a point.

Earl Doherty is a better man than you'll ever be
That's your opinion, nothing more.

Most people don't know or care about his wayward guess here.

You sound scared, witless, and desperate to come up with anything to reject "a heavenly only Jesus" interpretation.
Your hostility shows a weakness.

No I was laughing at the idiocy of the hypothesis tonight realizing how stupid it was and how bad someone had to pervert the real meaning of Paul taking his words meaning so far out of context.

Most of Romans In context in Paul explaining the salvation through the good news. Its also Pauls crowning achievement in one piece. And in the Epistles Header he is setting people straight on his view of Jesus, and he eludes not one FKN part as Jesus being heavenly only.

Paul was not writing this to a bunch of inbred hicks in Timbucktoo whom he had complete control to teach some over the top BS. He was writing to people who already had beliefs and knowledge of Jesus. He was addressing followers and teaching them his version, and not once is Paul SELLING them some heavenly only Jesus conspiracy minded crap.
You should be able to explain how an epistle being addressed to one community at a time means a goddamn thing as to the christology of Paul

Because Paul is telling the Roman community/ies his goddamn Christology :banghead:

Its in the Epistles/letter and its not hidden! Its in plain FKN Koine what the Christology is.

Sorry I did find a flaw, and its a critical flaw. The only issue now is communicating it to people in a way to educate them so they can go back in time, and not get dragged down a road going nowhere at all. See what I see, and the road is not a reasonable choice.

Paul in Romans is outlining his teaching so they will not be confused with false teachers ALREADY there. And no where is he telling anyone to watch out for those unholy teachers preaching about some once earthly jesus.

Paul is writing theology, HIS theology and he tries to shine so much to do the right thing in the eyes of his lord and savior, and to save man from himself. That is his agenda.

My point is Romans is not teaching a "a heavenly only Jesus" One cannot in a reasonable mind find that conclusion in this Epistle/Letter. Only by compiling text from letters out of context can one open the door to let ones imagination in. Which is ironic when one wants to limit evidence used to keep context in check.
Last edited by outhouse on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote: Also, Earl Doherty is a pretty cool guy, he interprets epistles and isn't afraid of anything. 8-)

I like Earl too.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

outhouse wrote:Because Paul is telling the Roman community/ies his goddamn Christology
That's a different kind of statement than what was in the last post, which had no real argument at all.
outhouse wrote:Think about it. Take Romans, he is sending that to who ever, but he is sending that as a single Epistle/letter. And as we read his Epistle/letter header he states

1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; (1:3)

1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

This is the context of jesus as he is reporting to the Romans. He goes out of his way to claim relationship to David and flesh
That may be an argument I could accept, even, if it were not that I do not believe that were part of the original Romans. (This has been discussed, but very briefly, already in this thread. The first step has to be an attempt to recover the text of Paul, before we start trying to interpret it.)
outhouse wrote:He was writing to people who already had beliefs and knowledge of Jesus.
But what beliefs and what knowledge about Jesus?
outhouse wrote:he eludes not one FKN part as Jesus being heavenly only.
This argument is not very strong. It is an argument from silence, not regarding the absence of a major part of his thinking, but regarding the absence of a statement making fine distinctions about his thinking ("only"). It is a little odd to back yourself into the same argument that is commonly derided on the part of the likes of Doherty (an argument from silence), only that your argument is much weaker, almost to the vanishing point.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown