Christianty's Syncretism

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Christianty's Syncretism

Post by MrMacSon »

Christianity has been described as a syncretic religion. We know it has a strong or predominant Jewish component, through its use of the OT in the NT, as 'scripture', and reference or allusion to OT events and phrases in the NT.

What components of other religions make up Christianity? What % might they contribute?
Tenorikuma

Re: Christianty's Syncretism

Post by Tenorikuma »

Obviously, a lot of Zoroastrian beliefs find their way into Christianity, though mediated through late Second Temple Judaism (especially sectarian Judaism like you find at Qumran). Cosmic dualism, the defeat of Satan, judgment and resurrection of the dead, etc. There might have been some direct influence as well, since Pontus was an important centre in early Christianity, and it was a Parthian kingdom until 64 BCE.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

MrMacSon wrote:Christianity has been described as a syncretic religion.
Christianity is not syncretic. People who get syncretic get called heretics and tossed overboard.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Why is it not syncretic?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Adam

Post by Adam »

On this one I'm with Tenorikuma and not Roger Pearse.
I suppose my abysmal reception here at ECW is that I'm too liberal for the few conservatives and too conservative for the much predominant radicals, or is just that I think for myself? There's no room here for someone in the middle who nevertheless is an independent thinker and not merely indecisive.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Roger Pearse wrote: ... People who get syncretic get called heretics and tossed overboard.
Please elaborate or clarify.
Adam

Post by Adam »

On this one I'm with Roger and not with MMS. Sure, Christianity is syncretic, but the orthodox are supposed to parrot the party line that it is not. In 57 years of hearing sermons as an adult, I have never heard a hint about Zoroastrianism (at most about the knowledge of the Magi who brought gifts to Jesus) whether from Methodists, Presbyterians, Roman Catholics (after I converted), Episcopalians (after I became a lapsed heretic), nor my present Lutherans.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

I don't follow Adam. What's MMS?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:What's MMS?
You, Mr. Mac Son

DCH
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah,
I figured that out too, that that's what I meant, and I thought I posted it, but it's not here. Yes, Hindley is correct.