docetism or adoptionism in Phil 2:6-11 ?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

docetism or adoptionism in Phil 2:6-11 ?

Post by Giuseppe »

The earliest account which we have of Cerinthus is that of Irenæus (Adv. Hær. I. 26. 1; cf. III. 3. 4, quoted at the end of this chapter, and 11. 1), according to which Cerinthus, a man educated in the wisdom of the Egyptians, taught that the world was not made by the supreme God, but by a certain power distinct from him. He denied the supernatural birth of Jesus, making him the son of Joseph and Mary, and distinguishing him from Christ, who descended upon him at baptism and left him again at his crucifixion.

But in hymn to Philippians we see a Christ that becomes the appearance - and only the appearance - of a suffering man, and after death assumes the name 'Jesus', and is since that time, as named Jesus, that he takes power and glory in heaven.

The difference with Cerinthus is clear:
1) in Cerinthus the imago Christi on terra firma is the mortal man Jesus son of Joseph and Mary and that man is neither saved nor glorified after death, but abandoned to his fate.

2) in Hymn to Philippians the imago Christi on terra firma is a suffering man, but then to be glorified is the bearer of the name 'Jesus'.

I have this suggestion. In Philippians Hymn we have this proportion:

Christ : Jesus = God : Christ.

if Christ is only the imago Dei, then Jesus is only the imago Christi.

Who comes first, the view of Cerinthus or that of Phil hymn?

Assuming that is prior the Cerinthus'view:

in that case who in Cerinthus is a mortal specific man abandoned to his fate, Jesus, would become in Philippians the docetic appearance of Christ, but would assume more reality by taking, as reward, full identity with Christ.

Assuming that is prior the Philippians Hymn:

in that case who in Phil is a mere ologramma of a suffering man, Jesus, rewarded after death, would become in Cerinthus a mortal man posseded but after abandoned from Christ.

I dont' know the answer but I see a thing in common.

In both cases the name ''Jesus'' is linked to the pain of someone (a phantom or a mortal man) who has to look, without actually ever be, the Christ (at least, until his death).

This raises a curious suspect:

that the name ''YHWH-saves'' is part of the apparition, of the image, but not of that being that appears - and only appears - in that image. .
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.