Judas Iscariot

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Judas Iscariot

Post by Secret Alias »

Do we all agree - Günther Schwarz convincingly proposed that καριωθ issues from the Aramaic קריתא, meaning “city.” He also argues that ισ- is an abbreviation of the Hebrew איש, “man,” which would render the meaning “man from the city,” that is, Jerusalem. If we all agree it is further evidence that איש = ΙΣ.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: Judas Iscariot

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Secret Alias wrote:Do we all agree - Günther Schwarz convincingly proposed that καριωθ issues from the Aramaic קריתא, meaning “city.” He also argues that ισ- is an abbreviation of the Hebrew איש, “man,” which would render the meaning “man from the city,” that is, Jerusalem. If we all agree it is further evidence that איש = ΙΣ.
Thanks Stephan. I did not know that. Very interesting.

Would you please say something about the correct transliteration of the Aramaic? I do not doubt the explanation, but I´m interested in how correct it is transliterated.
toejam

Post by toejam »

Over the years, I've heard sooo many explanations about what 'Iscariot' might be referring to that I've lost hope that any specific explanation can make the grade of "probable".
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Stephen, is that from Jesus und Judas?