Rending of the veil

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: Rending of the veil

Post by iskander »

Kris wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:22 pm I was reading on a Christian Forum on the topic of the rending of the veil and what sorts of proofs there were of it. One person's answer really confused me, and I tried to look up his information to see if it was valid, but couldn't find anything. He said:

Basically, the curtain that was torn was not the curtain between the holy of holies and the holy place... it was the curtain on the outer doors of the temple. How were the people on the hill able to see this curtain being torn if it was the curtain to the holy place?!?! As well, there is a prophecy in Isaiah where one asked, "If a man were to lose his son he would rend his clothes. But what would G-d do if he lost his son? He would rend the curtain on the gates of the temple." (his paraphase)

1. Was there some sort of prophecy in Isiaiah regarding god rending the temple curtain due to the loss of his son? I couldn't find it.
2. If there is this prophecy, why isn't is mentioned anytime the veil is discussed?
3. Is there some other text that this guy is getting mixed up with Isaiah?
4. Has ANYONE heard of this so called prophecy?

Just curious. The forum was rather old. I did try to contact the gentleman who wrote this, but he hasn't gotten back to me.
The rending of the veil is an elegant poetic licence that Mark uses to indicate the importance for believers of the execution of Jesus . The death of Jesus was as Winston Churchill might have said : "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. (Winston Churchill on the battle of Stalingrad)

Mark 15:38 The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. Two curtains hung in the temple to separate god from the needy. The death of Jesus removed the barrier which made God inaccessible to sinners. And the Promised Land , the land promised to the Israelites and conquered by Joshua , that insignificant plot of land, became for the marginal few the kingdom of heaven gifted to humanity by Jesus.

There is no proof because 'rending of the veil' is a legitimate literary way of underlining the importance of an event. Darkness and earthquakes, are like fireworks and the rending of the veil, darkness, tremors and risen dead are all of it a way of saying Jesus' death was very important .( for some)