The genre of the gospels.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Paul E.

Re: The genre of the gospels.

Post by Paul E. »

Ben C. Smith wrote:
ericbwonder wrote:This is an excellent post.
Thank you.
2nded.
Paul E.

Post by Paul E. »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:Has anyone ever looked into the possibility of Mark (or an ur-Mark) originating as a mystery cult initiation text? A sort of "Xenu document" if you will. A lot of it looks like it's designed to be a reveal to the audience to me, including the empty tomb and putative resurrection. The disciples never knew about it because the women ran away, but now you, young acolyte, you have received the truth.

I've been toying with this as a possibility, but I've had a hard time trying to find other mystery cult initiation narratives to compare it to. I can't shake the feeling that there's something to the possibility, though. It has a tone that reminds of esoteric texts from other traditions (like Hindu, for example) in which the initiate is being given special knowledge kept secret from the public at large.

A lot of analysts have thought that Mark built from the passion out - a passion with a long prologue as they say. I think the spirit possession is innately part of the passion narrative, though and that started with the baptism by John. Jesus is possessed after the baptism, the spirit "drives" him into the wilderness, he heals by the power of the spirit. He is accused of sorcery and demonic possession an the spirit abandons him on the cross. This spirit, I think, is really the secret.

I think Carrier's Euhemerization theory is attractive too, though.
I agree about the attractiveness of the initiation theory. If anyone has these resources on mystery cults' initiation rites, it would be interesting to see them.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Paul E.

Since mystery cults swore their members to strict secrecy, at best we find vague allusions or occasionally parodies of the rites in the surviving literature.

As a result, everything we know about them can be fit into one chapter of a book.

But even where we might have a more elaborate description (I think it has been proposed that the Paris Magical Papyrus describes the formulae to utter during a Mithraic initiation, but this is far but proved IMHO) we have very little to compare it to.

How would we know which characteristics were generally shared with other mysteries and which were truly unique? We don't ... yet plenty of critics guess and some of these guessing critics claim a degree of certainty for their interpretations far exceeding the level of confidence that most others would credit to them.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ben C. Smith wrote:The Jewish scriptural narratives use inclusio a lot. Judges 17.6 and its preceding story forms an inclusio with Judges 21.25; refer also to 18.1 and 19.1. Deuteronomy 12.1 and 12.32 (13.1 LXX and Masoretic) form an inclusio with the words carefully observe. Ruth 1.1 and 1.22 form an inclusio (Bethlehem to Moab, Moab to Bethlehem). And Mark is known for his specialized use of the inclusio: the Marcan intercalation, a compact inclusio on steroids.

A lot of those observations really do not impact the overall genre much, of course ...
I like to add the "perfect" sandwich of Genesis 32-33

A - Jacob prepares to meet Esau
.... B - Jacob wrestles at Jabbok
A' - Jacob meets Esau

Besides, I have faith that the little story of "Jacob wrestles at Jabbok" could be named the mother of "the typical" Markan pericope.

Good work, Ben.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:The Jewish scriptural narratives use inclusio a lot. Judges 17.6 and its preceding story forms an inclusio with Judges 21.25; refer also to 18.1 and 19.1. Deuteronomy 12.1 and 12.32 (13.1 LXX and Masoretic) form an inclusio with the words carefully observe. Ruth 1.1 and 1.22 form an inclusio (Bethlehem to Moab, Moab to Bethlehem). And Mark is known for his specialized use of the inclusio: the Marcan intercalation, a compact inclusio on steroids.

A lot of those observations really do not impact the overall genre much, of course ...
I like to add the "perfect" sandwich of Genesis 32-33

A - Jacob prepares to meet Esau
.... B - Jacob wrestles at Jabbok
A' - Jacob meets Esau

Besides, I have faith that the little story of "Jacob wrestles at Jabbok" could be named the mother of "the typical" Markan pericope.
That is extremely interesting! Genesis 32-33 form one large intercalation, as it were. Nicely pointed.
Good work, Ben.
Thanks.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

SURE TO BE OVER THE HEADS OF 90% HERE
https://books.google.ca/books?id=e5iW24 ... al&f=false
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The gospel wasn't read but recited antiphonally thus reinforcing the A B structure. Ignatius is said to have established the antiphonal liturgy ie the first historical Antioch energy bishop
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I have witnessed the Samaritan antiphonal liturgy. It was known to Philo and the Therapeuts
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Two divine powers. A, B structured narrative all recited in an original antiphonal liturgy
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote:The gospel wasn't read but recited antiphonally thus reinforcing the A B structure.
Ignatius is said to have established the antiphonal liturgy ie. the first historical Antioch energy bishop
"A B" ?? -- 'Abi Berakhatah' from Samaritan Scribes and Manuscripts by Alan David Crown ??