What is the theological meaning of Jesus dying on 15 Nissan?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: What is the theological meaning of Jesus dying on 15 Nis

Post by Peter Kirby »

Japhethite wrote:It did happen, both times when i tried to reply it refused umpteen times until i only posted small bits. No pictures. Something is not right, and that you do not have any objective interest / concern makes me paranoid.
Reproduce the error then and post pics.

There is a 65,000 character limit.

The "Japhethite" account is a regular account.

You are paranoid.

I don't have any "concern" because I already know that there is nothing preventing you from making longer posts.

The link restriction (a spam prevention measure) is also no longer affecting the account, as it automatically goes away after a couple posts.

If I want to do anything to restrict your account, I will not beat around the bush. I will ban you, and you will know it. Simple as that.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

I have recently read that Mark edited his source to change the day Jesus died from 14th Nissan to 15th Nissan. I recall reading a long time ago that there are theological reasons for John to change the day from 15th Nissan to the day of preparation when the Paschal Lamb was slaughtered.
I got my own theory on that:
From http://historical-jesus.info/jnorig.html
>> The day before Passover:
Here is a major conflict with GMark (and the other synoptic gospels): Jesus is condemned and crucified one day before Passover, when lambs were sacrificed in the temple (and JohnB declared Jesus is "the Lamb of God" 1:29,36!).
However, that may not be the main reason for the switch: "John", working from GMark, was probably trying to explain why the trial was not done with the implicated ones inside a tribunal hall, as normally done then (in a dignified way!). Solution: the Jews cannot go inside the Praetorium, a Gentile building, because the ensuing defilement would prevent them to eat the Passover meal (Jn18:28)! As a consequence, the Passover is pushed back to fall on Mark's Sabbath day and Pilate is seen shuttling between inside the Praetorium to a place where he could confer with the chief priests outside!
In Mark's gospel, because of 15:16, the trial is not inside the Praetorium. And with a whole crowd present (15:8), it seems to be improvised outside. <<

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

its happening again it won't let me post more than one line in first reply.
"Community Fluoridation" = compulsory Mass Medication.
Japhethite

Post by Japhethite »

Won't with second either. Ok i'm leaving, bye. Unless Kirby can pm me to try workout what problem is.
"Community Fluoridation" = compulsory Mass Medication.