Times of the Gentiles

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Kris

Times of the Gentiles

Post by Kris »

Can anyone provide their thoughts on what Luke was referring to in Chapter 21 when he talks about the Times of the Gentiles? I know that futurists have their opinion, but I am inclined to think that this is referencing the Romans destroying Jerusalem and that this was addressing the events that occurred in 70ad, not a future time. Any thoughts?
MrMacSon

Re: Times of the Gentiles

Post by MrMacSon »

Luke 21 (ESV)
24 " ... and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

25 “And there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth distress of nations in perplexity because of the roaring of the sea and the waves, 26 people fainting with fear and with foreboding of what is coming on the world. For the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
That is part of a narration attributed to Jesus, so it is interesting he refers to 'the Son of Man' in the third person.

'the Gentles' could be a Gentile community/society? and the 'times of the Gentiles' refers to expectations being fulfilled(?)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

My current view is that "the times of the gentiles" = the time during which gentile (Roman) powers would have control of Judea and Jerusalem (a situation which the arrival of the messiah would rectify). This particular prophecy was a way of extending or mitigating the generational prophecy of Matthew 24.34 = Mark 13.30 = Luke 21.32 ("this generation will not pass away until all things come to pass"). Adding an indefinite timeframe to the set of expectations either (A) allows "all things" to refer to the beginning of the period rather than encompassing the entire period, right up to its end, or (B) pushes the interpretation of "this generation" in the direction of "this race" or the like.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Kris

Post by Kris »

I have thought that the Gentiles were the Romans and how they waged war with the Jews for 3 1/2 years before the end of the war in 70ad. This seems to correspond with revelation and the trampling of the Gentiles for 3 1/2 years.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Kris wrote:I have thought that the Gentiles were the Romans and how they waged war with the Jews for 3 1/2 years before the end of the war in 70ad. This seems to correspond with revelation and the trampling of the Gentiles for 3 1/2 years.
Interesting idea.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com