The Marcionite gospel with accompanying sources.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: The Marcionite gospel with accompanying sources.

Post by andrewcriddle » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Ben C. Smith wrote:There they are, 24 chapters of Luke encoded to Roth's reconstruction of the Evangelion and accompanied by the relevant ancient source texts. Enjoy. :)

Ben.
Thanks Ben

Andrew Criddle

Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 pm

andrewcriddle wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:There they are, 24 chapters of Luke encoded to Roth's reconstruction of the Evangelion and accompanied by the relevant ancient source texts. Enjoy. :)
Thanks Ben
You are quite welcome.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ

John2

Post by John2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

My knowledge of Marcion is very basic so I've been following this general line of discussion with interest and am keeping an open mind. But one thing that suddenly comes to mind, as I look at the introduction of the Marcionite gospel, is the idea that Luke and Acts imitate Josephus, which seems odd for Marcion to do if his gospel is otherwise (or purposely) without Judaic elements (which is my present understanding).
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Finally a smart comment.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Now that I have Jason BeDuhn, The First New Testament, I have gone back and added some coding to this reconstruction of the Marcionite gospel. Details of this updated coding are included in the OP. Having both Roth's specific verbal reconstruction and BeDuhn's general thematic reconstruction (where it does not overlap with Roth's, which takes precedence) ought to provide some more perspective on the text.

The new coding is not based on color; it is based on font choices (underlining and italicizing) for the black (unattested) words or phrases left over from Roth.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ