Markan priority: an "assured result of modern criticism"?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Markan priority: an "assured result of modern criticism"

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:And still this quote of mine in your footer, which you admitted was out-of-context
No, you just imagined that I "admitted" anything. What I said was:
I'll remove it. Not sure when though.
That's pity only. Yes, it can be embarrassing to have your stupid statements quoted. Tough shit. Now it will take longer.

You're the one who subjected this forum to these words (and a lot of other crap), who refuses to change or back down and now blames others for quoting them, instead of having enough self-awareness even to be able to admit that they are wrong when they are trying to hide the things that they are wrong about. So deal with it.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Peter Kirby has an excellent article about the priority of Mark: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/mark-prior.html

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Thanks for illustrating what it actually looks like to make a quote "out of context" where the context drastically changes or even inverts the meaning.

I will remove your quote immediately if you just admit that the statement is wrong and also that the context doesn't significantly change the meaning.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Honestly, Peter, all I can do is to say my statement was about books about the historicity of Jesus (with their divergent opinions & conclusions), not all books. I thought the context made it clear. So the statement is wrong if it is understood "books" means all books, any kinds of them.
I myself, during my life, read dozens of books. As far as dulling the mind, I experienced that myself when I went through a phase of reading as many books on the historicity of Jesus as I could.
If you remove your footer, I will remove mine, of course.

Cordially, Bernard
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

You can have your footer. It shows your lack of integrity and intelligence. In fact, both quotes reflect poorly on you, Bernard.

Unless you're reading only books about math and the current scientific consensus in textbooks, you're going to be reading "divergent opinions & conclusions".

If anything, all your explanation has done has been to expose your stupidity further and dig your hole deeper with this display of ignorance and low integrity.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

My integrity commands me not to disavow what I thought about what "books" meant in the textual context of my statement, when I wrote it. Understanding that "books" in my statement meant any kind of books is really stupid.

Cordially, Bernard
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:My integrity commands me not to disavow what I thought about what "books" meant in the textual context of my statement, when I wrote it. Understanding that "books" in my statement meant any kind of books is really stupid.

Cordially, Bernard
No, just the books that contradict other books. Which you somehow imply is restricted to the historical Jesus. Which I can only put down to ignorance.

Besides, it's still wrong, even if you wanted just to talk about books regarding the historical Jesus (which, BTW, I do not really doubt).

Why the hell is there a website exemption anyway? Those don't dull the mind--just books about a historical Jesus? Or is your website just that good and unique ... even though it's barely a shiny turd? Jesus Christ, you are stupid.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Peter,
Besides, it's still wrong, even if you wanted just to talk about books regarding the historical Jesus (which, BTW, I do not really doubt).
I am reading here you do not really doubt of the existence of a historical Jesus.
Or am I mistaken?

Cordially, Bernard
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bernard Muller wrote:to Peter,
I am reading here you do not really doubt of the existence of a historical Jesus.
Or am I mistaken?

Cordially, Bernard
You are mistaken. I don't doubt that your specific intent was to discuss "books regarding the historical Jesus."

Your wording is unfortunate, but your peculiar defense of your (supposedly) nuanced statement (because they are books that contradict each other and are confusing?!...), refusal to admit real fault, and attempt to put the blame on me for quoting your words... doesn't merit sympathy.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Peter,
You are mistaken. I don't doubt that your specific intent was to discuss "books regarding the historical Jesus."
So you are admitting you are quoting me out of context.
Is it the way you are going to treat anyone who disagrees with you, or are you making an exception for me?

Cordially, Bernard