The phrase εἶπεν δὲ in Luke and in the Marcionite gospel.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: The phrase εἶπεν δὲ in Luke and in the Marcionite gospel

Post by Secret Alias »

And the aforementioned doesn't even take into account that each existing text has been expanded over and over again with additional scriptural 'proofs' by later authors. So the argument he presents against the proposition:
Daniélou, for example, argues for Tertullian's dependence on Irenaeus A.H. 4.33.12, but in fact only two quotations match exactly, and Irenaeus includes many more texts.
Yet what the author fails to recognize is that 'Irenaeus' - Adv Haer - is likely little more than a collection of 'lectures' of Irenaeus expanded and adapted and incorporating older writers still. The Patristic writings are like a big ball of yarn.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Secret Alias wrote:Of course that's what we're talking about here. But the same thing is likely for Book Three and Tertullian's Against the Jews no? The original material incorporates a lost treatise of Justin surely also (I love that when I correspond with British people my diction changes in my own head).
I haven't studied Against the Jews enough to comment.

Book 3 of Against Marcion is quite likely influenced by Justin.

Andrew Criddle
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Well if the smartest person at the forum (Andrew) and the stupidest person at the forum (myself) can agree on something based on intimacy with a text the message should be clear to everyone else - STOP READING SUMMARIES OF ADV MARC! Read the text end to end and THEN come to a proper conclusion. There is no substitute for experience.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote