The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote:to Ben,
One example is the "so you also" of Luke 21.29-31. Bernard and I debated that one for a while, but I am still quite convinced that it trends in the direction Marcion -> Luke.
May I ask you: Who do you think the "you" in "so you also" stands for in gLuke, and the corresponding passages in gMark, gMatthew & gMarcion?
Those listening to Jesus. Just like it reads.
Another example is the spot where the gospel begins. It seems likely that some version of Luke actually began at 3.1, since the birth narratives are of a different character than the rest of the book and 3.1 makes a fine beginning for a gospel. Well, that is where Marcion begins. (It is also, by the way, where the Ebionite gospel apparently began.)
I thought I covered that with my third argument (from http://historical-jesus.info/53.html):

>> 4) Lk 5:33 "And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?"
Tertullian's 'Against Marcion', IV, 11: "Whence, too, does John come upon the scene? Christ, suddenly; and just as suddenly, John! After this fashion occur all things in Marcion's system."
No, that is a different issue. One does not need Luke 1-2 to introduce John. Luke 3 does just fine.

Incidentally, however, the matter of introducing characters needs to be looked into further. Mark does not introduce Pilate at all, for example; he just appears, bam, with no "Pontius", no "governor"... nothing. Does this mean that Mark is copying from someone who did introduce him better?
Actually, on this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1765#p39307, I wonder why everything before Lk 4:41, except for 3:1a and maybe 4:14-15 is not in red, according to Tertullian's aforementioned remark, and also that one "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean city of Capernaum,"" (AM 4.7.1).
Because Dieter T. Roth is extremely conservative about what he counts as a true omission. But, if you read the notes, you will find this comment from him: "Even though there is no direct attestation of the omission of these verses, there is an indirect indication that 3:2-22 was missing as an implication of Tertullian’s comments in Marc. 4.11.4."
Primitive? Why not corrected by Marcion?
Sure. Why not? And why not see "tittle of my words" as an awkward yet primitive expression that Luke corrected?
Then of course, for the priority of gLuke, we have the testimonies of Irenaeus, Tertullian & Epiphanius. That must count for something.
I do not think you are seeing what is happening with those church fathers. Read them very, very closely and you will notice that they have no actual tradition at all that Marcion mutilated Luke. None. They are getting their information the same way you are getting it, by comparing the texts, just like Tertullian explicitly tells us. Nor do they have any tradition that Luke, companion of Paul, composed the gospel and the acts. None. They are getting their information the same way you are getting it; Irenaeus has a text with "we" passages which lines up with a gospel with a matching prologue, and is arriving at the identity of Luke by exegesis.

In fact, Tertullian's best external argument is that Marcion himself attests (presumably in writing) to the canonical gospel of Luke. But what he does not say is whence Marcion got his information about the corruption of proto-Luke into canonical Luke. Did Marcion notice Judaic stuff in there and simply assume it did not belong? Maybe. Did Marcion know of a proto-Luke which he was able to compare with canonical Luke, and he chose to use only the former for his churches? Maybe. Did Marcion actually know who corrupted proto-Luke into canonical Luke? Maybe. We do not know, because Tertullian does not say. He is basically looking at two texts, assuming that his is older, and then finding arguments within the text to prove his point of view. Just like you are doing.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Bernard, I was surprised you didn’t cross examine me on why I thought your posting on Gal 4:22-26 wasn’t clear enough for me. :)
(I do not think all your conclusions as you posted here are the most likely, but let us leave them for future discussions.)

Ben, I have posted some thoughts on Lk 21:29-33, Mk 13:28-32 and Marcion in the other thread. I will look at what has already been posed and work though some examples and post my comments as I go there, including the start of Luke with reference to the links between the birth narratives and resurrection narratives as suggested by my old tutor David Catchpole. I will hopefully come back on Lk 4:23 here if it isn’t raised there.

Giuseppe, I am not sure if you have accepted that the answers to the questions in 1 Cor 9:5 have to be answered yes? I am not sure if you are modifying your position and now arguing that it isn’t Paul because he is claiming equality with Peter, the apostles and the brothers of the Lord. I don’t know if you are rejecting the whole of 1 Cor 9?

I am happy to look at the whole context of 1 Cor 9 to see if Paul is claiming he is equal to Peter etc., but I think a case can be made that Paul isn’t claiming to be equal with Peter. Doesn’t Paul go on to claim he is commissioned by God?

However before moving on I would like to clarify what you think 1 Cor 9:5 in the context of the verses around it, saying it in simple terms so I can get my head around it and not have to interpret it.
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Sorry this was a double post, now deleted.
Last edited by Michael BG on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Michael BG,
Bernard, I was surprised you didn’t cross examine me on why I thought your posting on Gal 4:22-26 wasn’t clear enough for me. :)
(I do not think all your conclusions as you posted here are the most likely, but let us leave them for future discussions.)
Actually, I took your comment in account and I made some clarifications on:
http://historical-jesus.info/73.html
Do you still have objection(s)? If yes, which one(s)?

PS: I wrote a long response to Ben's latest post but it evaporated when I pushed the preview button. Instead I got a request to log. Good bye 2 hours of work! But I' ll rewrite it probably this evening.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Bernard Muller wrote:to Michael BG,
Actually, I took your comment in account and I made some clarifications on:
http://historical-jesus.info/73.html
Do you still have objection(s)? If yes, which one(s)?

Cordially, Bernard
I couldn’t see your changes. Perhaps I should explain, I found the following not very clear for making a comparison with the canonical version:

“Book V, Chapter IV "But as, in the case of thieves, something of the stolen goods is apt to drop by the way, as a clue to their detection; so, as it seems to me, it has happened to Marcion: the last mention of Abraham's name he has left untouched, ... "For that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bond maid, the other by a free woman; but he who was of the bond maid was born after the flesh, but he of the free woman was by promise: which things are allegorized"; "for these are the two covenants," or the two exhibitions, as we have found the word interpreted," the one from the Mount Sinai," in relation to the synagogue of the Jews, according to the law, "which gendereth to bondage"--"the other gendereth" above all principality, and power, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but in that which is to come, "which is the mother of us all," in which we have the promise of holy church; by reason of which he adds in conclusion: "So then, brethren, we are not children of the bond woman, but of the free."”

If I was presenting the Marcion text for comparison I would present it without the interpretations and additions of Tertullian with a foot note to the text of Tertullian. Therefore I think you are saying that the Marcion text is:

"For that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bond maid, the other by a free woman; but he who was of the bond maid was born after the flesh, but he of the free woman was by promise: which things are allegorized, for these are the two covenants, … in relation to the synagogue of the Jews, according to the law, … which gendereth to bondage …the other gendereth …which is the mother of us all, …So then, brethren, we are not children of the bond woman, but of the free.”

Of course I may be mistaken and may have misunderstood because later you write, “One striking difference would be the addition by Marcion of "above all principality, and power, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but in that which is to come," replacing the mention of the heavenly Jerusalem.” But I have concluded this is not in Marcion.

I hope you understand why it is not clear to me. The problem might be with the use of quotation marks. If your intention was to highlight those sections of Marcion, which are in the canonical version, it might be better to underline them but first quote the canonical version.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Michael BG,
Of course I may be mistaken and may have misunderstood because later you write, “One striking difference would be the addition by Marcion of "above all principality, and power, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but in that which is to come," replacing the mention of the heavenly Jerusalem.” But I have concluded this is not in Marcion.

I hope you understand why it is not clear to me. The problem might be with the use of quotation marks. If your intention was to highlight those sections of Marcion, which are in the canonical version, it might be better to underline them but first quote the canonical version.
This observation was not my main point on the matter, not even a point. Just an observation, with nothing to do with the conclusion of Marcion copying gLuke.
But according to Tertullian (AM, 5.4.8), "above all principality, and power, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but in that which is to come," is in gMarcion. And it shows also in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1836#p40546 as in gMarcion.

Cordially, Bernard
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Bernard Muller wrote:to Michael BG,

This observation was not my main point on the matter, not even a point. Just an observation, with nothing to do with the conclusion of Marcion copying gLuke.
But according to Tertullian (AM, 5.4.8), "above all principality, and power, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but in that which is to come," is in gMarcion. And it shows also in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1836#p40546 as in gMarcion.

Cordially, Bernard
Bernard, I wonder if you have misunderstood me. When I wrote, “But I have concluded this is not in Marcion”, I meant I had reached this conclusion from only reading what you wrote. Now I think I reached a false conclusion because I don’t think you meant me to reach this conclusion. I am therefore saying that your presentation of the Marcion text is unclear and, in my opinion for what it is worth, I think you should remove the quotation marks in your quote, post the canonical text first and underline those words which are in both and make clear that is what you are doing. Assuming that I have now understood what you have written on my fourth reading of it.

It was this earlier presentation which I found unclear but I did understand the piece about the reference to Jerusalem being redacted.
cienfuegos

Post by cienfuegos »

toejam wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:You seek to discredit [Carrier's] thesis by discrediting him.
Not so. I disagree with his thesis that Paul believed Jesus was crucified in outer-space for the reasons stated. I have lost respect for him as a person not because of his reading of Paul, but due to the way he handles himself when confronted with those who disagree with him. There are parts of his thesis that I agree with. Similarly, there are other scholars whom I respect as people yet whom I don't buy their theses either. Whether or not I respect a person is a separate issue as to whether I agree with their thesis. Your seeming desperation to marry the two seems rather projected on your part.
You fail to consider that the Pauline texts have been redacted & re-written to imply Jesus had been historical ... or that the NT Gospels euhemerize the celestial Jesus that was the basis of the Pauline texts (and possibly other contemporaneous texts)
Wrong. I consider it. I suspect there has probably been some tampering along the way. But it's very hard to say exactly what without direct evidence (e.g. Church Father attestation or manuscript evidence). It could be that there hasn't been any tampering or that it's only very minor. I don't see enough evidence to warrant the view that extensive tampering has gone on to make it look like Paul believed in an Earthly-Jesus. The idea that the NT gospels are euhemerizations of an exclusively celestial Jesus is very speculative IMO.
That's the problem. You keep arguing the same points, yet the points themselves are not sustainable due to the lack of quality evidence. Yet you, and historicists in general, claim a nearly 100% certainty about facts like these:

Paul refers to a brother of Jesus.
[Problem: The text of Paul suggests editing and redaction has occurred in ways that are difficult to discern. Galatians in particular has a confusion of names and probable redactions, such as the Peter/Cephas issue, and the question of whether Paul refers to different Jameses. In addition to the textual problems, there are interpretative issues. It is unclear whether Paul is referring to a literal blood-brother of Jesus, or if the term "Brother of the lord" is a title]

Paul says Jesus was human in that he was a descendant of David and had a human mother.

[Problem: Again this is in a text that contains obvious redactions (the same as above, which all the best references to human Jesus are found). It also is a lead up to Paul's allegorical interpretation of human births depicted in the Septuagint. So while it could mean that Jesus was literally born of a human woman, it is not entirely clear. Certainly not as clear as if Paul had said: :Jesus was the son of Mary and the brother of the pillar, James, or something to that effect, which would be much stronger falsifying evidence. Skeptics point out that it is not common to refer to a human being as having a human mother because it is usually taken for granted. Continual reference to this without noting the weaknesses inherent in the argument is disingenuous.]

Jesus was baptized by John.

[Problem: This factoid only appears in theological/mythological texts.]

Jesus was crucified by Pontius Pilate.

[Problem: Factoid appears only in theological/mythological or highly disputed texts.]

This does not mean, alone, that mythicism is more likely than historicism. You have to consider all the evidence and how this evidence fits into the whole broad context. None of this warrants a strong statement that Jesus was an historical person. HIstoricists should examine the gray area, the doubts and attempt to disprove what they believe to be true. That is how empirical research works: You try to disprove your hypothesis. What I see historicists doing is referring again and again to a few cherry picked items that stand out in a voluminous set of evidence. It is an exercise in confirmation bias, not historical inquiry. Historicists should be able to justify a degree of certainty (or uncertainty).
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
Ben C. Smith wrote:
Bernard Muller wrote:to Ben,
One example is the "so you also" of Luke 21.29-31. Bernard and I debated that one for a while, but I am still quite convinced that it trends in the direction Marcion -> Luke.
May I ask you: Who do you think the "you" in "so you also" stands for in gLuke, and the corresponding passages in gMark, gMatthew & gMarcion?
Those listening to Jesus. Just like it reads.
Those listening to Jesus are his own disciples with him on the mount of olives then.
May I ask you: Do you think Marcion initiated that verse, sometimes around 130 CE, when these disciples would be dead, well before from "these things" "the kingdom of God is nigh at hand"?
Does not make any sense. What about your unevidenced proto-Luke, that Marcion would have copied or revived.
To make sense, that alleged gospel would have to be written in the first century, most probably before 70, when these disciples would still be alive.
Are you entertaining that idea?
Another example is the spot where the gospel begins. It seems likely that some version of Luke actually began at 3.1, since the birth narratives are of a different character than the rest of the book and 3.1 makes a fine beginning for a gospel. Well, that is where Marcion begins. (It is also, by the way, where the Ebionite gospel apparently began.)
I thought I covered that with my third argument (from http://historical-jesus.info/53.html):

>> 4) Lk 5:33 "And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?"
Tertullian's 'Against Marcion', IV, 11: "Whence, too, does John come upon the scene? Christ, suddenly; and just as suddenly, John! After this fashion occur all things in Marcion's system."
No, that is a different issue. One does not need Luke 1-2 to introduce John. Luke 3 does just fine.
Yes, but according to Tertullian (from the quote above and "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean city of Capernaum,"" (AM 4.7.1), Luke 3, with its several mentions of John the Baptist, was not in gMarcion.
Incidentally, however, the matter of introducing characters needs to be looked into further. Mark does not introduce Pilate at all, for example; he just appears, bam, with no "Pontius", no "governor"... nothing. Does this mean that Mark is copying from someone who did introduce him better?
The difference here is that Pilate in gMark is never called governor or prefect or procurator, but after his name appears in Mk 15:1, his power and role are implied in the next 14 verses.
But for John the baptist, in gMarcion, he is presented first as a "John" with disciples in Lk 5:33 and then, two chapters later, at 7:20, that "John" is finally called "the Baptizer". That's very abnormal: JtB should have been called "the Baptizer" at 5:33, not later.
Actually, on this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1765#p39307, I wonder why everything before Lk 4:41, except for 3:1a and maybe 4:14-15 is not in red, according to Tertullian's aforementioned remark, and also that one "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean city of Capernaum,"" (AM 4.7.1).
Because Dieter T. Roth is extremely conservative about what he counts as a true omission. But, if you read the notes, you will find this comment from him: "Even though there is no direct attestation of the omission of these verses, there is an indirect indication that 3:2-22 was missing as an implication of Tertullian’s comments in Marc. 4.11.4."
Yes, extremely conservative, but still, 3:2-22 should be shown in red. The criterion of indirect indication should have been incorporated in Roth's analysis.
Sure. Why not? And why not see "tittle of my words" as an awkward yet primitive expression that Luke corrected?
Why not see Lk 16:17 as copied from Q? But I agree you have a point here which I need to consider further, maybe to the point of eliminating the argument altogether. BUT if "Luke" corrected on gMarcion, that means that Q and/or gMatthew were generated after gMarcion, because Q and/or gMatthew (5:18) also made a similar correction. Or "Luke" knew about gMatthew which made the correction first, or "Matthew" knew about gLuke which made the correction first. There is a lot to swallow here.
Then of course, for the priority of gLuke, we have the testimonies of Irenaeus, Tertullian & Epiphanius. That must count for something.
I do not think you are seeing what is happening with those church fathers. Read them very, very closely and you will notice that they have no actual tradition at all that Marcion mutilated Luke. None. They are getting their information the same way you are getting it, by comparing the texts, just like Tertullian explicitly tells us. Nor do they have any tradition that Luke, companion of Paul, composed the gospel and the acts. None. They are getting their information the same way you are getting it; Irenaeus has a text with "we" passages which lines up with a gospel with a matching prologue, and is arriving at the identity of Luke by exegesis.
The church fathers were also getting information about Marcionism from contemporary Marcionites (or more likely ex-Marcionites). Reading and comparing texts were a separate enterprise confirming the beliefs of Marcionites and Marcion. About an earlier tradition that Marcion mutilated Luke, that's an argument from silence. And maybe Justin covered that when he wrote book(s) (now lost) about Marcion, according to Irenaeus.
Tertullian was certain gLuke preceded gMarcion, even if he did not give any proof, and the gospel was not named before Irenaeus' times: "Luke's Gospel also has come down to us in like integrity until the sacrilegious treatment of Marcion. In short, when Marcion laid hands on it, it then became diverse and hostile to the Gospels of the apostles." (AM 4.5)
Irenaeus the same. And of course, internal and external evidence confirm gLuke was written in the first century.
In fact, Tertullian's best external argument is that Marcion himself attests (presumably in writing) to the canonical gospel of Luke. But what he does not say is whence Marcion got his information about the corruption of proto-Luke into canonical Luke.
What is the evidence for the existence of a proto-Luke?
Did Marcion notice Judaic stuff in there and simply assume it did not belong? Maybe. Did Marcion know of a proto-Luke which he was able to compare with canonical Luke, and he chose to use only the former for his churches? Maybe. Did Marcion actually know who corrupted proto-Luke into canonical Luke? Maybe. We do not know, because Tertullian does not say. He is basically looking at two texts, assuming that his is older, and then finding arguments within the text to prove his point of view. Just like you are doing.
A lot is about this proto-Luke, an alleged gospel with no witnesses.

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote:Those listening to Jesus are his own disciples with him on the mount of olives then.
May I ask you: Do you think Marcion initiated that verse, sometimes around 130 CE, when these disciples would be dead, well before from "these things" "the kingdom of God is nigh at hand"?
No, not at all. I am not arguing for Marcionite priority.
Does not make any sense. What about your unevidenced proto-Luke, that Marcion would have copied or revived.
To make sense, that alleged gospel would have to be written in the first century, most probably before 70, when these disciples would still be alive.
Are you entertaining that idea?
Yes, of course. The proto-Luke in question would be early. (I am not certain that before or after 70 is an issue in particular on this point, but yes... early.)

Yes, but according to Tertullian (from the quote above and "In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius (for such is Marcion's proposition) he "came down to the Galilean city of Capernaum,"" (AM 4.7.1), Luke 3, with its several mentions of John the Baptist, was not in gMarcion.
I agree. I have always agreed that the Marcionite gospel appears, on our best evidence, to introduce John rather suddenly; it was even my idea, if you recall!

But where the gospel that Marcion adopted started, the choices being (A) the infancy narratives and (B) Luke 3.1, is a different issue, because both Luke 1-2 and Luke 3 introduce John just fine. In other words, Marcion could have omitted all mention of John from Luke 3 without ever even having heard of Luke 1-2.
Yes, extremely conservative, but still, 3:2-22 should be shown in red. The criterion of indirect indication should have been incorporated in Roth's analysis.
It was: in the notes.
Why not see Lk 16:17 as copied from Q? But I agree you have a point here which I need to consider further, maybe to the point of eliminating the argument altogether. BUT if "Luke" corrected on gMarcion, that means that Q and/or gMatthew were generated after gMarcion, because Q and/or gMatthew (5:18) also made a similar correction. Or "Luke" knew about gMatthew which made the correction first, or "Matthew" knew about gLuke which made the correction first. There is a lot to swallow here.
Again, I am not arguing for Marcionite priority. I think that Marcion published a gospel early in century II sometime, not before. So I do not think that the body of Luke, at any rate (Luke 1-2 may be a different matter, and I reserve the right to suspect that certain parts of the body are also post- and/or anti-Marcionite) necessarily corrected the gospel of Marcion; rather, it drew from the same gospel that Marcion himself drew upon. (I am, by the way, speaking as if this is exactly what I think, when in reality my views are still in formation on the topic. Just go with it for the sake of argument, at least.)
The church fathers were also getting information about Marcionism from contemporary Marcionites (or more likely ex-Marcionites). Reading and comparing texts were a separate enterprise confirming the beliefs of Marcionites and Marcion. About an earlier tradition that Marcion mutilated Luke, that's an argument from silence.
No, in the case of Tertullian, it is better than an argument from silence. He explicitly says that the accusations of forgery flew in both directions, Marcion claiming that the Catholics had done it and the Catholics claiming that Marcion had done it, and he explicitly says that there is only one way to decide who is right: to look at which one corrupted the doctrine of the other, since one cannot corrupt what one does not already have in hand. This is an exegetical argument, and it is, according to Tertullian himself, the only argument that can be made. Granted, he fills it out a bit more, supplementing it, as it were, but the supplements are exegetical in nature, and depend on his reading (for example) the Antitheses; in each case, Tertullian's argument is not without rival. The only tradition he points to is that Marcion once made a donation to the Roman church; Tertullian takes this to mean that he once agreed with the Catholic church and then fell away from the truth into heresy. But any fool can list alternative and equally plausible explanations for this account that do not involve Marcion having deliberately corrupted canonical Luke.
Tertullian was certain gLuke preceded gMarcion, even if he did not give any proof, and the gospel was not named before Irenaeus' times: "Luke's Gospel also has come down to us in like integrity until the sacrilegious treatment of Marcion. In short, when Marcion laid hands on it, it then became diverse and hostile to the Gospels of the apostles." (AM 4.5)
What is Tertullian basing this belief (that canonical Luke had remained unchanged from apostolic times until Marcion got his dirty hands on it) on? If his case is based on facts, where are the facts?
Irenaeus the same. And of course, internal and external evidence confirm gLuke was written in the first century.
Internal evidence suggests that parts of Luke were written in the first century.
What is the evidence for the existence of a proto-Luke?
According to Tertullian, Marcion claimed that there was a gospel that the Catholics corrupted into canonical Luke. That would be a proto-Luke. On the Marcionite side of the evidence, it remains, at least theoretically, an open question whether (A) Marcion was claiming that his gospel owed its very existence to Marcion himself or (B) Marcion was claiming that the gospel was an already extant text. I do not think Tertullian gives us enough to decide on that score. So we get the following picture:

According to Tertullian: Canonical Luke -> Marcionite Gospel
According to Marcion: Marcionite Gospel -> canonical Luke ~OR~ Primitive Gospel -> Marcionite Republication of Primitive Gospel -> Canonical Luke

In both of the Marcionite cases, there is a proto-Luke. There is no evidence for the existence of proto-Luke only if you choose to listen only to what Irenaeus and Tertullian say and not to what Marcion says.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ