The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Post by Peter Kirby »

Metacrock wrote:I would like to discuss it but don't know the best venue.
I'm pretty busy, but I do find some time to post here. You are more than welcome to participate on this forum.

Perhaps you can start by quoting something that I had written recently that you disagree with (and then explain why).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Secret Alias wrote:In other words, Irenaeus in all respects resembles very closely the logic of the New Prophesy once again. The Holy Spirit spoke at the time of Jesus, it continued to speak during the apostolic age and into the period that John had his vision, down through the time of Polycarp and now to the age of Irenaeus itself...
Heh, Irenaeus as a Montanist makes oddly sense. While the church in Lyons is reported to have found a decision regarding Montanism, it's not reported what this decision actually was. It could be anything, given how different the reaction was from place to place.

The idea of the spirit of Jesus/the Holy Spirit as still prophesying through Paul, Montanus, Priscilla, Tertullian or any member of their churches makes any new idea and change of text authoritative, as it comes directly from the Holy Spirit. Of course, if Irenaeus also belongs into that group, any hope of finding any "original" versions of gospels is pretty much lost.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Indeed Irenaeus never condemns the Montanists
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote