The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
outhouse

Re: The Jesus Wars Go Thermonuclear

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:
But that does not answer the question of whether these two quotes were or were not part of interpolations.

I avoided that because I don't know.

But if it were, I'm not sure that would change anything. It could have been added to combat those who may have thought differently or as protection to those who may think differently in the future.

The fact its not overly hammered in rhetorically, and these are just brief mentions that actually flow with the grain of the mythology, I don't personally believe they were combatting naysayer's.
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

@ Giuseppe

The question really must be which are older the Marcion Pauline epistles or the ones that made it into the Bible? And how do we determine which are older?

The argument that Marcion removed the bits he didn’t like is not weaker than the argument that others added them. It seems that you are making a choice without providing any convincing evidence.

When you are quoting Waugh or Detering, isn’t he making a case that 1 Cor 15:3-11 is an interpolation? I agree with Robert Price and Bernard Muller that it is most likely an interpolation. However according to DCHindley according to BeDuhn Marcion included “that Christ died (v 3), was raised on the third day (v 4), and so we preach, and so you believed (v 11)”, which if the whole section is an interpolation argues that Marcion knew the whole section and edited it down to what BeDuhn states is there.

Turning back to what we are discussing. I understand that Gal 1:19 is not in the Marcion text, but I think 1 Cor 9:5 is. I have raised the issue of the way Paul talks about Jesus as Lord when maybe referring to him when is an alive human being. (1 Cor 7:10 and 1 Cor 7:25).

I couldn’t find the Marcion texts of the Pauline Epistles online. Are you aware of a link to them or are ones posted here by DCHindley correct?

DCHindley doesn’t include Gal 1:17, 1 Cor 9:5 or 1 Cor 7:25 (but these last two Peter Kirby doesn’t suggest they are omissions), but DCHindley states that BeDuhn states 1 Cor 7:10 is in the Marcion text.

I think you are trying to make out a case that in 1 Cor 9:5 Paul is saying he isn’t as important as the other apostles or Peter or the brothers of the Lord, but I am saying that isn’t the way text reads, because the other questions have to be answered in the positive, so this one must be too.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote:Turning back to what we are discussing. I understand that Gal 1:19 is not in the Marcion text, but I think 1 Cor 9:5 is.
How sure are you? In my reconstruction, based on BeDuhn, 1 Corinthians 9.1-6 is unattested.

Tertullian takes Marcion to task for his nonbiological interpretation of "mother and brothers" in Luke 8.19-21, so we might expect him to comment on "brothers of the Lord" in 1 Corinthians 9.5, if Marcion has it. On the other hand, Tertullian does not always comment on the same topic twice; he sometimes considers the matter closed after so much discussion of it already, so perhaps he just let this one ride. I would say that the most we can say is: 1 Corinthians 9.5 is not attested, either as present or as absent, in the Marcionite version. Whether it was there or not will probably depend on whether your strategy is to start with the entirety of our extant Pauline corpus and work backward using what Marcion is explicitly said to have excised or to start only with what Marcion is explicitly said to have retained and work forward from there. Even so, however, there are going to be huge chunks of text that we will simply have no way of assigning to either pile.
I couldn’t find the Marcion texts of the Pauline Epistles online. Are you aware of a link to them or are ones posted here by DCHindley correct?
In my recent postings, the sources for the textual decisions are in the box below each chapter, so you can read and kind of see for yourself whether BeDuhn has made the right call or not. Some cases are pretty solid, and we can be sure that those passage either were or were not in the text. But others (probably most) are not as clear as we would like them to be, since neither Tertullian nor Epiphanius was producing a critical text of the Marcionite canon.
DCHindley doesn’t include Gal 1:17, 1 Cor 9:5 or 1 Cor 7:25 (but these last two Peter Kirby doesn’t suggest they are omissions), but DCHindley states that BeDuhn states 1 Cor 7:10 is in the Marcion text.
Right. The argument in Against Marcion 5.7.6 depends on the basic content of 7.25 being there. The exact wording does not look all that secure, but the gist of it should probably be there.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Michael BG wrote: The argument that Marcion removed the bits he didn’t like is not weaker than the argument that others added them

That is correct.

I personally view it as Marcion taught a different version, which makes sense that he would drop parts that did not go with his whacky theology.

After all, he dropped whole books, so dropping a few lines here and there, seems to me, to be the most plausible.

Most scholars do agree with this, so I respect their educated opinions.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Michael, I am worthless to be compared with DCHindley and Beduhn and many others of this forum. My personal (and modest) experience makes me persuaded by the Detering's argument by reading his analysis of Galatians and in particular noting that:
wherever something goes against Paul, removing that from Paul's epistle makes remain an epistle whose theological & biographical points completely coincide with what we know about Marcion (even with biographical spects of Marcion!), leaving nothing that is not. It cannot be a coincidence.

As Galatians is the only text known to give us an unique self-sufficient introductory understanding of who is ''Paul'' (biographically and theologically) - as my ''argument'' goes -, if the authenticity of Galatians falls then I am induced to extend my skepticism on all the other letters without even examining them more further.

I am intimely persuaded, as I said above in this thread half-joking :D , that the entire diatribe ''Carrier versus McGrath'' on the epistles about the question of historicity or mythicism is a kind of unconscious laboratory experiment where both sides roughly simulate the real historical contenders of Paul's legacy (even if obviously their historical subject of contention was not a ''mythical versus historical Jesus'' in the Epistles, but a ''docetic/gnostic versus proto-catholic Jesus'').
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Giuseppe wrote: that the entire diatribe ''Carrier versus McGrath'' on the epistles about the question of historicity or mythicism is a kind of unconscious laboratory experiment where both sides roughly simulate the real historical contenders of Paul's legacy

It is a false illusion there are even two sides to this. There really isn't.

When dealing with pauls communities in the above context of two sides, there are those who interpret it semi right and wrong.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It is a false illusion there are even two sides to this. There really isn't.
Obvioulsy I'am generalizing. But do you see the 'seditious Jesus hypothesis' as the third side I have ignored?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

The argument that Marcion removed the bits he didn’t like is not weaker than the argument that others added them
Three arguments in favor of proving Marcion's gospel (of the Lord) was written after Luke's gospel:
http://historical-jesus.info/53.html

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Giuseppe wrote: But do you see the 'seditious Jesus hypothesis' as the third side

No, as it stands it is the only side. This is not even a coin at this time, your side, my side, and the truth in the middle thin and hard to see.

http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/201 ... 8008.shtml

Despite the endless attempts to discredit the hypothesis that Jesus of Nazareth was involved in seditious activities (and to discredit also its proponents), it provides the best explanation of the available evidence. This article does not merely advance a view to be put along with other reconstructions of Jesus, but argues that any reconstruction of the Galilean preacher that does not consistently integrate the seditious aspects is strongly prejudiced and lacks scholarly soundness.
Last edited by outhouse on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote: Three arguments in favor of proving Marcion's gospel (of the Lord) was written after Luke's gospel:

Cordially, Bernard
Even if I agreed

Doesn't prove anything though.

Its sort of proselytizing your favorite arguments.