Primacy of the Roman Pontiff?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Re: Who were the "Petrines"? And why supercessionism?

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Solstice wrote:Which leads me to: "who were the Petrines?"
One answer to this question might be explored by investigating the history of the emergence of the Christian state religion at Rome in the later 4th century. Pitched battles were held in the streets of Rome between the militant forces of a number of claimants for the (tax-exempt) position of the Bishop of Rome.

After fierce fighting that left many dead in the streets, the winner was Damasus who was also (sometime later) the first Christian bishop to assume the role of Pontifex Maximus. Damasus renovated the Roman catacombs and started the Christian tourism business in Rome, a lucrative business that still operates today. One of his main slogans was "PETER WAS HERE" which might make him a candidate for people to be termed "Petrines".

Solstice wrote:My question before I keep plowing forward: Would there have been any forms of Christian Gnosticism which were totally of pagan/Gentile origin, with no reliance whatsoever upon Hebrew/Israelite/Pre-"Judaism" scripture?
Platonism, Stoicism, Pythagoraeanism are capable of being seen as non-Christian Gnosticism.

Unfortunately the Christians saw these philosophical schools as "heretical sects".
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

by investigating the history of the emergence of the Christian state religion at Rome in the later 4th century.
Oh God, not this again. I thought he had disappeared. If the question has to do with a period of time before the 4th century, can't we make him shut up?
Everyone loves the happy times
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

stephan happy huller wrote:
by investigating the history of the emergence of the Christian state religion at Rome in the later 4th century.
Oh God, not this again. I thought he had disappeared. If the question has to do with a period of time before the 4th century, can't we make him shut up?
Relax. It's an internet forum. People will have different opinions. Not all will be mainstream. It comes with the territory. The conclusions of dewitness were more conservative than those of Leucius and avi, but the latter two posters show themselves as having something he lacked... called tact. (And, of course, a willingness to make arguments starting from a logical basis, something that dewitness did inconsistently at best.)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Leucius Charinus

Primacy of the Roman Pontiff?

stephan happy huller wrote:If the question has to do with a period of time before the 4th century, can't we make him shut up?
Solstice wrote:The whole idea of "Petrines," however, comes from a man of the 19th century, F.C. Bauer .....

Primacy of Simon Peter

WIKI wrote:In Catholicism, it is also argued that this Primacy of Peter extends in perpetuity to the Pope over other bishops throughout the Church via the doctrine of Apostolic succession. This extension of Petrine Primacy to Popes is known as the Primacy of the Roman Pontiff, also known as Primacy of the Bishop of Rome. This Catholic Church doctrine holds that the papacy has authority delegated from Jesus to rule over the entire Church.

There was no Christian "Pope" until the thug Bishop Damasus received the title of "Pontifex Maximus" in the later 4th century. (The Emperor no longer wanted it)

The assertion that the OP (in "Who were the Petrines"?) deals with a period of time RESTRICTED to the epoch before the 4th century is completely deluded.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

The Papacy: The Petrine Ministry in the Early Church

What was the significance of Christ changing Peter's name? What was he telling us when He said "You are Petros (rock) and on this rock I will build my Church?" (He was indicating that Peter was to be the lasting foundation stone, the rock-support for the Church in every generation.

What did Christ mean when he said "I will give you the keys of the kingdom...?" (The keeper of the keys in ancient Israel had authority to admit or exclude from the king's household whomever he wished. Peter was to have this role and function over Christ's household and would have heaven's guidance in this.)

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... p0008.html
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
stephan happy huller wrote:If the question has to do with a period of time before the 4th century, can't we make him shut up?
Solstice wrote:The whole idea of "Petrines," however, comes from a man of the 19th century, F.C. Bauer .....

Primacy of Simon Peter

WIKI wrote:In Catholicism, it is also argued that this Primacy of Peter extends in perpetuity to the Pope over other bishops throughout the Church via the doctrine of Apostolic succession. This extension of Petrine Primacy to Popes is known as the Primacy of the Roman Pontiff, also known as Primacy of the Bishop of Rome. This Catholic Church doctrine holds that the papacy has authority delegated from Jesus to rule over the entire Church.

There was no Christian "Pope" until the thug Bishop Damasus received the title of "Pontifex Maximus" in the later 4th century. (The Emperor no longer wanted it)

The assertion that the OP (in "Who were the Petrines"?) deals with a period of time RESTRICTED to the epoch before the 4th century is completely deluded.

Peter became Christ’s vicar, or personal representative, on earth. Peter’s prestige as the head apostle was so great that people Acts 5:15 “… carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them.

Each pope is the successor of Peter, and therefore speaks with Christ’s own authority as His vicar on earth.
Leucius Charinus

beowulf wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:There was no Christian "Pope" until the thug Bishop Damasus received the title of "Pontifex Maximus" in the later 4th century. (The Emperor no longer wanted it)

Peter became Christ’s vicar, or personal representative, on earth.
The "vicarii", responsible for each of the dioceses, appeared with the Diocletian tetrarchy reform.
Peter’s prestige as the head apostle was so great that people Acts 5:15 “… carried out the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and pallets, that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them.
Acts looks to be a 2nd century invention. There are truckloads of evidence - votive offerings to Asclepius the Healing God of the Roman Empire - but absolutely nothing about the Peter legend.
Each pope is the successor of Peter, and therefore speaks with Christ’s own authority as His vicar on earth.
See Peter and Rome. The bible does not mention Peter going to Rome. This legend appears with the gnostic heretics. Again "vicars" and "dioceses" appear with Diocletian.