The gospel of Peter.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: The gospel of Peter.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

The papyri Oxyrhynchus 2949 and Cairensis 10759 evince quite a few differences over the course of just three verses:

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: 2.3 Εἰστήκει δὲ ἐκεῖ Ἰωσήφ,] ὁ φίλος Π[ε]ιλά[τ]ου κ[αὶ... καὶ εἰδ]ὼς ὅτι ἐκέλευσεν [σταυρωθῆναι ἐλ]θὼν πρὸς Πειλᾶτο[ν ᾔτησεν αὐτοῦ] τὸ σῶμα εἰς ταφήν. 4 [Πειλᾶτος πέμψας πρὸς Ἡρῴδ]ην ᾐτήσα[το αὐτῷ τὸ σῶμα ἀποδοθ]ῆναι εἰπώ[ν· ὁ φίλος] μου [τὸ σῶμα] ᾐτήσα[το.] 5 [Ἡρῴδης ἔφη·] Πειλ[ᾶτε ....] αὐτὸν [....] τις α[ὐτὸν ...] ὅτι α[.... ἐθάπτο]μεν [....] / 2.3 And there stood Joseph,] the friend of P[i]la[t]e, a[nd... and know]ing that he had ordered him [crucified he ca]me toward Pilate [and asked for his] body for burial. 4 [Pilate sent to Hero]d and ask[ed him] to [send the body,] sayin[g:] My [friend] has ask[ed for the body.] 5 [Herod said:] Pil[ate....] him [....] someone h[im ...] since [... bur]ied [....]

Papyrus Cairensis 10759: 2.3 Ἱστήκει δὲ ἐκεῖ Ἰωσήφ, ὁ φίλος Πειλάτου καὶ τοῦ Κυρίου, καὶ εἰδὼς ὅτι σταυρίσκειν αὐτὸν μέλλουσιν ἦλθεν πρὸς τὸν Πειλᾶτον καὶ ᾔτησε τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Κυρίου πρὸς ταφήν. 4 Καὶ ὁ Πειλᾶτος πέμψας πρὸς Ἡρῴδην ᾔτησεν αὐτοῦ τὸ σῶμα· 5 καὶ ὁ Ἡρῴδης ἔφη· «Ἀδελφὲ Πειλᾶτε, εἰ καὶ μή τις αὐτὸν ᾐτήκει, ἡμεῖς αὐτὸν ἐθάπτομεν, ἐπεὶ καὶ σάββατον ἐπιφώσκει. Γέγραπται γὰρ ἐν τῷ νόμῳ ἥλιον μὴ δῦναι ἐπὶ πεφονευμένῳ.» Καὶ παρέδωκεν αὐτὸν τῷ λαῷ πρὸ μιᾶς τῶν ἀζύμων, τῆς ἑορτῆς αὐτῶν. / 2.3 But Joseph, the friend of Pilate and of the Lord, had been standing there; and knowing they were about to crucify him, he came before Pilate and requested the body of the Lord for burial. 4 And Pilate, having sent to Herod, requested his body. 5 And Herod said: 'Brother Pilate, even if no one had requested him, we would have buried him, since indeed Sabbath is dawning. For in the Law it has been written: The sun is not to set on one put to death.' And he gave him over to the people before the first day of their feast of the Unleavened Bread.

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: εἰστήκει
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: ἱστήκει

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: ἐκέλευσεν σταυρωθῆναι
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: σταυρίσκειν αὐτὸν μέλλουσιν

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: ἐλθὼν πρὸς Πειλᾶτον ᾔτησεν αὐτοῦ
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: ἦλθεν πρὸς τὸν Πειλᾶτον καὶ ᾔτησε

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: τὸ σῶμα
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Κυρίου

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: εἰς ταφήν
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: πρὸς ταφήν

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: Πειλᾶτος
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: καὶ ὁ Πειλᾶτος

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: ᾐτήσατο αὐτῷ
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: ᾔτησεν αὐτοῦ

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: τὸ σῶμα ἀποδοθῆναι
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: τὸ σῶμα

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: εἰπών· ὁ φίλος μου τὸ σῶμα ᾐτήσατο
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: -

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: Ἡρῴδης
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: καὶ ὁ Ἡρῴδης

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949: Πειλᾶτε
Papyrus Cairensis 10759: ἀδελφὲ Πειλᾶτε

The fragmentary text which follows in papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949 also looks like it cannot line up exactly with the corresponding text in papyrus Cairensis 10759, but owing to the poor state of the text I have not bothered to display it separately.

The biggest single difference is that the Oxyrhynchus text adds a bit of dialogue which the Cairensis text lacks entirely: εἰπών· ὁ φίλος μου τὸ σῶμα ᾐτήσατο ("said: 'My friend has requested the body'").

These may basically be two different recensions of the same text, as Plese and Ehrman allow:

Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949 (Plese & Ehrman).png
Papyrus Oxyrhynchus 2949 (Plese & Ehrman).png (100.85 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ