Was Lucan Luke? Was Luke Lukan?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gmx

Re: Was Lucan Luke? Was Luke Lukan?

Post by gmx »

Peter Kirby wrote:There indeed may be a "demonstrable substrate within Luke," to use your phrasing, but that doesn't amount to a consensus view.
No, and as such it amounts to very little at all...

As a refuse collector by trade, this is what disappoints me most about the current state of synoptic research - it's all tentacles and no octopus. Independent researchers pursuing their own unprovable hypotheses, "trimming the eyebrows here and trimming the eyebrows there". With no collective focus or agreed methodology, it's all a bit pointless. Or maybe more than a bit.
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

gmx wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:There indeed may be a "demonstrable substrate within Luke," to use your phrasing, but that doesn't amount to a consensus view.
"As such" it is not a consensus view. Your conclusion above is a non sequitur.
gmx wrote:With no collective focus or agreed methodology, it's all a bit pointless.
Most "Bible scholars" are basically ideologues with little real interest in developing sound methodology and even less ability to do the same. Don't hold your breath.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote: Most "Bible scholars" are basically ideologues with little real interest in developing sound methodology and even less ability to do the same. .

I think it Is safer to say "most" possess a certain degree of such. Your statement vilifies Bible scholars unjustly.

I have two online scholars/professors friends of whom both are more on the apologetic side of the fence. Each holds truth more closely then their apologetic nature.

I agree its not a perfect playing field. Yes some apologist scholars are guilty as you state. "Most" is a bit harsh

I can tell you all of my professors, do not fit that mold.
gmx

Post by gmx »

Peter Kirby wrote:
gmx wrote:
"As such" it is not a consensus view. Your conclusion above is a non sequitur.
My point is that the lack of consensus "amounts to very little". Where is the non sequitur?
I saw a Naked girl ,Slowly emerge in front of me,Greek hairstyle,Very beautiful,She has a beautiful [fine] profile.; She is fine in profile. the view of profile,hard to tell.
Adam

Post by Adam »

You reversed the burden of proof unfairly on Peter.
YOU claim that a Proto-Luke or sources is not Consensus (and you're wrong).
Peter challenges you to present evidence that the Consensus agrees with you.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I'm not sure about all that, Adam.

This:
gmx wrote:
And this:
gmx wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:"As such" it is not a consensus view. Your conclusion above is a non sequitur.
My point is that the lack of consensus "amounts to very little". Where is the non sequitur?
Did not read the same way to me.

I have no objection at all regarding the second statement; it's basically the same as what I said.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Adam

Post by Adam »

Whatever.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Indeed... :goodmorning: