in the night in which he was betrayed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
TedM

in the night in which he was betrayed

Post by TedM »

1 Cor 11: 23
For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread
Ok, I know that the word for 'betrayed' might also mean 'lifted up', meaning onto the cross, but doesn't that pose a problem since people weren't crucified at night?

If it DOES mean betrayed, is there an OT prophecy that reasonably would be seen as support?

sorry if this has been addressed before, just don't remember seeing it.
Ben C. Smith

Re: in the night in which he was betrayed

Post by Ben C. Smith »

TedM wrote:1 Cor 11: 23
For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread
Ok, I know that the word for 'betrayed' might also mean 'lifted up', meaning onto the cross, but doesn't that pose a problem since people weren't crucified at night?
You may have confused this word with another. The word for "betrayed" here can mean "handed over" or "delivered up" (not lifted up), and is used elsewhere in Paul to signify God handing Jesus over to death (hence its unfitness for use as proof that Paul knew about Judas or whatnot), as well as to signify the transmission of teaching or tradition (in fact, its first appearance in this very verse bears that meaning: "delivered").

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

TedM wrote:If it DOES mean betrayed, is there an OT prophecy that reasonably would be seen as support?
The gospel betrayal seems to be modelled at least in part on Psalm 41.9 (40.9 LXX):

Even my close friend, in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.

(Refer to John 13.18, for example.)

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
TedM

Post by TedM »

Ah, very good. Yes, I misrememberd. Thanks Ben.