Why Cesarea?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why Cesarea?

Post by Giuseppe »

The journey of Jesus to Jerusalem starts in Cesarea (Mark 8:27, Matthew 16:13).

Why just Cesarea?

Was there some link with Cesarea as the residence of the Roman governor? And what was the point of the connection ''Cesarea-->Jerusalem'' ?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
DCHindley

Re: Why Cesarea?

Post by DCHindley »

Giuseppe wrote:The journey of Jesus to Jerusalem starts in Cesarea (Mark 8:27, Matthew 16:13).

Why just Cesarea?

Was there some link with Cesarea as the residence of the Roman governor? And what was the point of the connection ''Cesarea-->Jerusalem'' ?
Yes, Caesarea was where the Roman governors over Judea-Samaria-Idumea had their headquarters. Jesus is portrayed by various Gospels as having been in a number of places, and sometimes far-flung at that (southern portions of the province of Syria, and the western part of territory belonging to the tetrarch Philip). There were a significant number of Judeans resident in the region around Caesarea at the start of the Judean war, per Josephus. They may have been there to act as intermediaries with the Roman governors, or just because some Judeans happened to be peasants farming the private estates in the area, with associated scribes, butchers, merchants (shop keepers & middle-men) and synagogue teachers.

I have just assumed that Jesus would have visited these places (assuming the accuracy of the report) in the course of his employment as a "carpenter" (=artisan). I would guess he made furnishings for homes, probably fairly nice as his services would have been in relatively high demand. Then again, anyone who knows a tradesman (master carpenter, electrician, mason, etc) will know that they often go to where the work is, often far from home and at times they might stay there for several months.

DCH
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

But Caesarea emerges among other locations because it is the starting point of the journey of Jesus to Jerusalem, and is the place where the issue of Jesus identity is crucial, too (a issue that will become fundamental in everything going on, from Caesarea via via to Jerusalem).

It's curious to see that Cesarea is quoted at the incipit of Antiquities 18:55-62.
But now Pilate, the procurator of Judea, removed the army from Cesarea to Jerusalem, to take their winter quarters there, in order to abolish the Jewish laws.

Even Jesus went from Caesarea to Jerusalem ''to abolish the Jewish traditions'' of scribes & pharisees.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

The journey of Jesus to Jerusalem starts in Cesarea (Mark 8:27, Matthew 16:13).
The Cesarea mentioned in these two verses is not Cesarea Maritima, the normal headquarter of the Roman governor over Judea, but Cesarea Philippi, then governed by a Herodian king, Philip.
And it does not look Jesus' trip to Jerusalem starts from any Cesarea, according to gMark & gMatthew (Mt 19:1, Mk 10:1).

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It's curious that Josephus didn't name the city as Caesarea Φιλίππου, but only ''Caesarea Panias''.

It seems that only Mark and Matthew called so that city.

Luke didn't mention that city at all.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Actually, Cesarea Philippi in Mark 8:27 & Matthew 16:13 refers to a region (around Cesarea Philippi/Panias), including or not the city.
Luke didn't mention that city at all.
Yes, because it was part of the missing block in the copy of Mark's gospel from which "Luke" worked with.
The great omission: http://historical-jesus.info/appf.html

Cordially, Bernard
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

It's likely that the NT narratives were finalized or redacted long after the events they are purported to portray, and its'f quite feasible that may of the narratives were first started far away from the regions they are purported to be set in.

I think it's likely that the writers were deliberately vague on the geography to be able to equivocate on place names.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So Adamczewski explains the not-historical reference to Cesarea:
The name of Caesarea of Philip (Kaisareia e Philippou) as referring to an important city which was located far in the north in the tetrarchy of Philip, so that Jesus and his disciples had to 'go out' to it (Mk 8:27), was borrowed from Jos. B.J. 2.168; Ant. 18:28 (Philippos ...Kaisareian). This imperial name provided an appropriate setting for the confession of Jesus as the royal Messiah ... Moreover, the imperial name of Caesarea alludes to the content of the Jewish Christian proclamation of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, as it was presumably formulated in Rome, under the authority of the Jerusalem community, with its leader Cephas (Mk 8:29; cf. Rom 15:30-31).
(The Gospel of Mark, A Hypertextual Commentary, p. 110-111)

Assuming the markan priority (not my view) a possible midrash is from 1 Tess 2:2-4 :
2 We had previously suffered and been treated outrageously in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in the face of strong opposition. For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you. On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts.
Note that in Caesarea Philippi, too, a paulinized Jesus in Mark is in conflict with his disciples that don't recognize him.

But I am always more inclined to doubt about the markan priority, after what says Gundry about Matthew.

In Gundry's view, Matthew condemns Peter as the false rock just at Caesarea Philippi.

But we see that Caesarea Philippi was construed on a great rock, too. And amazing pagan temples were there.
At Caesarea Philippi there is a massive wall of rock that is well over 100 feet straight up and about 500 feet wide. The city of Caesarea Philippi was built on top of this enormous rock. It was enlarged and rededicated by King Philip to honor the Caesar in Rome. Caesar considered himself a god and King Philip was eager to please him. The Greek and Roman cultures had many gods. Another god that was especially honored here in Caesarea Philippi was the Pagan god of Pan.
http://www.defendingthebride.com/ch/ca/rock1.html

Therefore Matthew condemns both the false rock Peter and the false rock of Cesarea place of pagan idols. The true rock is only the words of Jesus.

All fits my nascent view:
1) Mcn first Gospel.
2) Matthew as reaction against Mcn (introducing Cesarea to criticize Peter, under still the Mcn influence)
3) Mark comes after Matthew and rehabilitates Peter to make him a proto-horthodox icon.
4) Luke corrects Mcn.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

MrMacSon wrote:It's likely that the NT narratives were finalized or redacted long after the events they are purported to portray, and its'f quite feasible that may of the narratives were first started far away from the regions they are purported to be set in.

I think it's likely that the writers were deliberately vague on the geography to be able to equivocate on place names.
Maps then weren't especially accurate spatially, mainly as murals on or in the walls of buildings. The military had long ago established charts of the marching distance between major towns, but these may only have had minor notes about routes (exit the Roman road at marker 53, then take the path through the mountains that is on the right hand ..." There would be no "North" "South" "East" or "West" except in the most general sense.

It is not unlike the general lack of knowledge of orientation that occurs even with people in their own towns.

"Is your business on the north side of the road?"
"Um, uh, it's by the crooked tree."

"Do I turn East or West from Main street onto Route 55?"
"Um, uh, turn right at the McDonalds restaurant."

"How far are you from Greenfield?"
"Um, uh, a couple of miles [although you'll find that the actual distance was 1/10 miles or 10 miles, don't matter, as they apparently spend each commute on their cell phone the whole time and don't pay any attention to details]."

It quickly becomes crystal clear that most folks today have never ever looked at a modern accurate map, or figured out how to read it, and do not know which directions are east (direction of sunrise), west (direction of sunset), north (to the left when facing east) or south (to the right when facing east). Just try to follow the maps on wedding invitations, which are so generalized and off scale that they are more confusing than helpful. And now Google Maps cannot be printed except as tiny little things that will not be useful unless you carry your magnifying glass. As my magnifying glass is always in the shop, I have to unplug my second monitor, hit "Print Screen", open a Word document, orient it as Landscape, paste the image of the Google Map, and then print. I might as well go back to buying folding maps! My job doesn't issue me an iPhone or Smart Phone, nor provide any sort of GPS in the vehicle I am assigned, so I can't just look at my phone or console.

So, if WE are so gall dang ignorant about where we are and how to go to other places, and we are largely literate and have the tools ready to hand, the situation must have been much worse in antiquity, where 95% of the people were illiterate and nobody have so much as seen a map or anything.

DCH
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

But we see that Caesarea Philippi was construed on a great rock, too. And amazing pagan temples were there
Actually, the city of Cesarea Philippi and its pagan temples were built below that "great rock" on a flat plain.

Cordially, Bernard