Can Jesus' rising "meta" three days match a 3rd day rising?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Bernard Muller

Re: Can Jesus' rising "meta" three days match a 3rd day rising?

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
Either that or the same author is simply speaking in that same loose, idiomatic, illogical way, similar to what others sometimes do, including Matthew and Luke (in Acts)
I explained the "four days ago" in 'Acts'.
Besides that "Luke avoided the problem and only had "on the third day" with no clashing "after three days". "John" also avoided the problem.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm to Ben,
Either that or the same author is simply speaking in that same loose, idiomatic, illogical way, similar to what others sometimes do, including Matthew and Luke (in Acts)
I explained the "four days ago" in 'Acts'.
Did you?

Cornelius' vision, 10.3, "at the ninth hour" — Sunday.
Peter's vision, 10.9, "the next day" — Monday.
Peter's journey started, 10.23, "the next day" — Tuesday.
Peter's journey finished, 10.24, "the following day" — Wednesday; Cornelius says his vision took place "four days ago, to the hour," 10.30.

If you were speaking on Wednesday, would you say that Sunday was four days ago?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

John2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:12 pm ... these two scriptural backgrounds [Hos. 6:2 and Dan. 7:25] to Mark's "after three days" ... are not mutually exclusive. The unifying aspect of the passion predictions is that Jesus suffers, dies and is vindicated as the Danielic Son of Man. The structure and movement of the eschatological scenario in Daniel 7-12 and the passion predictions are similar (see Allison) ...
Yes, the verse has a curious part:

"And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time."

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm
I wish we had even one case (do we somewhere?) of the ½ being preserved in Jesus' time in the tomb.
What about Hegesippus in EH 5.16?
Jesus rose from the tomb after three and a half days, as it is written in the prophet Daniel.
;)
:D
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
Yes, I made a mistake: Peter goes on the roof top the same day he plays host to the men from Caesarea, all of that in Joppa.
I don't know what went in the mind of "Luke". Maybe a mistake from her.
Certainly she was careful about not having "on the third day" clashing with "after three days" in her gospel.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed