Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Re: Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
In our famous related discussion in the original Thread, Apikorus, who thinks the offending letter is a Waw, wrote:
F. M. Cross, the leading expert on DSS palaeography, has discussed waw/yod confusion many times. In his article, "Palaeography and the Dead Sea Scrolls" in vol. 1 of Flint and Vanderkam ("The Dead Sea Scrolls after 50 Years"), he discusses how the two characters were virtually indistinguishable during the early Herodian period but in the late Herodian period were increasingly distinguishable. In the back of the book are some nice plates showing the evolution of the script. Plate 10 line 9 shows the biblical hand from the Nahal Hever Psalms scroll. The waw is somewhat longer than yod but clearly shorter than zayin.

Joseph

Son Control - Mark's 2nd Amendment. Was "son of God" Added Later to Mark 1:1? The Greek Patristic Evidence.
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote:
spin wrote:
iskander wrote:It is pierced in the Christian tradition. Tradition!

It is called Tradition
what is good for the gander is good for the goose
Is it better to believe things that are unfounded, but have been accepted for a long time, or to discard unfounded views that you cannot distinguish from utter nonsense?

Who is to decide on matters of Religion?
Each one has traditions, but what could any of these traditions mean to outsiders?

The tradition of the Golden Calf receives a Roman interpretation years later , which is different from some other rabbinic interpretation.
One of Kabbalah’s most distinctive images of the feminine divine is that of a motherly, breastfeeding God. Suckling at My Mother’s Breasts traces this idea from its origins in ancient rabbinic literature
Ellen Davina Haskell is Assistant Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
http://www.sunypress.edu/p-5588-sucklin ... easts.aspx

The Conquest of the Promised Land

Hashem breastfeeding Moses and Aaron
http://www.crystalinks.com/romulus.html

In the original version the calf was a bull breastfeeding Moses , which explains his murdering anger against the perpetrators.

In a matter of religion- theology- both are right , I will not take sides.

LIBER PSALMORUM
XXI.
17 quoniam circumdederunt me canes multi
concilium malignantium obsedit me
foderunt manus meas et pedes meos
http://www.liberpsalmorum.info/Vetus%20Italica.html
Here I stand
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote:Here I stand
Preferring to err on the side of utter nonsense. That's not encouraging.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
james_C

Post by james_C »

1. Why does he compare himself to a limbless worm?
2. How did his bones get out of their joints?
maybe because he shit himself and wasn't a willing offering?
iskander

Post by iskander »

james_C wrote:
1. Why does he compare himself to a limbless worm?
2. How did his bones get out of their joints?
maybe because he shit himself and wasn't a willing offering?
Jesus didn't compare himself to anything. His last words in the gospel of mark were : 14:34 At three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?’ which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’*

Many believers may have felt abandoned by God in diverse circumstances. There is nothing special about feeling defeated and questioning God if one had a God
The secular reading of the gospels is the special interest of Charles Wilson and he is top of the class at that!.
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote:Jesus didn't compare himself to anything. His last words in the gospel of mark were : 14:34 At three o’clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, ‘Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?’ which means, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’
It's interesting that Ps 22:1 got the attention of the gospel writers, but 22:16 got nothing. Post hoc. Very post hoc.
iskander

Post by iskander »

psalm 22 is the attention of sectarians trying to convince each other.
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote:psalm 22 is the attention of sectarians trying to convince each other.
I couldn't parse the "is" in the above, but I gather that you are making some kind of generic statement about what some people do which does not relate to the topic of this thread nor to the comment you are apparently responding to.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Yes that is right. The gospel speaks of a man who says, I suffer. That man is not quoting the OT, bur speaking to his God...etc,
The psalm 22 is of interest to special people only .
spin

Post by spin »

iskander wrote:Yes that is right. The gospel speaks of a man who says, I suffer. That man is not quoting the OT, bur speaking to his God...etc,
So far, so good.
iskander wrote:The psalm 22 is of interest to special people only .
This, however, appears to be a non sequitur. How do you know who Ps 22 is of interest to? And what has that got to do with the thread topic? You've said a fair amount in this thread, showing interest: are you one of the "special people"? What about Rakovsky, or Joe, or me? What criteria would you consider here? Does showing interest suffice? If not why not? And what does your statement have to do with what is being discussed here?