Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rakovsky

Re: Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Post by rakovsky »

spin wrote:
JoeWallack wrote: I had never heard the expression "pierced dirt" before. I think it is an odd attempt to use the idiom "break ground".
It's a modern metaphor, which makes good dramatic sense in its context, but employed here it shows someone who just doesn't know what he's doing other than desperately trying to justify his religious commitment to a non-biblical theory that doesn't fit the evidence. Rakovsky clearly must have "pierced" in the text at any cost when no ancient version in any language supports it. This is why he depends on the Greek "dug" (pits and wells) which he uses to hop to "gouged" from which he leaps to "pierced", like they were three passing trains going in different directions. Whatever you want to call this thought process, it's not rational or reasonable.
Spin,

It's impressive that you know Hebrew - I don't myself.
Can you please tell me if Yalkut Shimoni's commentary interprets the narrator's experience to mean he is "pierced" in the online Hebrew I pointed link below?

In Yalkuth Shimoni, supposedly they connect “many dogs have encompassed me” (using a midrashic principle called "binyan ab m'shna ketubim") with the Book of Esther, commenting on which, Rabbi Nehemiah said:
"They pierced my hands and feet". ... In English, “they have pierced my hands and my feet”—Rabbi Nehemiah quotes it this way, and the reading of “pierced” was accepted by ancient rabbis.
https://www.moriel.org/online-sermons/
It (or part of it) is online in Hebrew here:
http://www.sefaria.org/Yalkut_Shimoni_on_Torah?lang=bi
And here
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/11520

Thank you.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

JoeWallack wrote:JW:
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16243
13 Great bulls have surrounded me; the mighty ones of Bashan encompassed me.
14 They opened their mouth against me [like] a tearing, roaring lion
17 For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me, like a lion, my hands and feet.
21 Save my soul from the sword, my only one from the grip of the dog.
22 Save me from the lion's mouth, as from the horns of the wild oxen You answered me.
While the author is speaking of an [understatement]imaginary situation [/understatement] note that all of the actions associated with a specific animal are literal actions of that animal. There is no figurative action associated with a specific animal here. If we try out כְרוּ (dig) for verse 17 we have:

Dogs/evildoers dig my hands and feet.
Was there a lion who literally performed literal roaring and ravening on the narrator? No, those are metaphors for the lion's actions. A lion ravens and roars, even though in this passage the lion and the ravening and roaring are metaphorical.
The action of nails into arms, drawing blood, can be literally the same action of "staffs" into ground, drawing water, as in Torah. They both gouge and dig the object.

Nakki Lake
"According to a Hindu legend, this lake is an ancient sacred lake. It is said that the lake was dug out with nails (Nakh) and hence it got its present name, Nakki."
http://www.india.com/travel/mount-abu/p ... nakki-lake

Nakki Lake in Mount Abu India,
"According to the legend, the lake was dug out with nails by Gods for protection against a demon named Bashkali. A few local tribes consider this lake sacred "
https://www.yatra.com/india-tourism/att ... nakki-lake

"With every blow as the nails dug deeper into skull and feet, He said that it was worth it. " (ifeltforsurelastnight.tumblr.com)

"The user throws nails into the air. Upon impact on the ground, they dig themselves into the earth. When the opponent walks over the ground where the nails dug..." (naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Torpedo_Nails)

Alternately, since the evildoers are described metaphorically in phrases throughout the Psalm (as lions and dogs), their actions could be described metaphorically too. The chapter is full of metaphorical phrases, verbs, and words, like the narrator being "cast" onto God at his birth (v.10). Was the narrator literally physical thrown onto a physical God?

JoeWallack wrote: We've seen that in The Jewish Bible when this word is used literally it always refers to digging dirt to create something. So dogs dug hands/feet to create ...? There's no way to get a literal action of dogs here that fits the literal meaning of the word. This is primary. The secondary try is to search for a neighboring meaning of the word (like you are doing) that would make some sense. Even if you found one it would still fail the preceding primary test. The problem with "pierced" is that it still falls outside of the range of figurative usage in The Jewish Bible because "pierced" is destructive, not creative and in human context refers to injury.
Psalm 22:16 is not literal because the oxen's horns and the lion's mouth is not literal.
Whenever the verb Karah "creates" anything it is using a destructive action and injury. If there is a mound of dirt and then a well is gouged/dug(karah) in it, the action is destructive, injuring the mound.
In Psalm 40, the narrator's ears are gouged. Does that mean that the narrator had zero ear lobes and then God "created" earlobes by literal digging with a shovel? That would not make sense.
Nor were the ears removed. God did not use a literal shovel and dig off the ears.
The narrator has ears and arms and legs in Psalms 22 and 40, and then the narrator uses metaphorical language, the verb "karah", to describe a transitive action performed on those body parts.

This same root word is used in Aramaic as a verb causing injury to an object:
Assyrian kâru, fell trees
http://bibliaparalela.com/hebrew/3738.htm

What do you think the LXX and the nonChristian Aquila were imagining when they interpreted Kaaru/karu to be about digging and binding the hands and feet? They must have inderstood it as an injurious action verb that took the arms and hands to be their direct object.

The same thing works fine in English and Russian. You can "dig out" a well (the object you are creating) or you can "dig out" the earth (the object you are injuring). If this works fine in English, Russian, and Aramaic as a normal part of basic language, and did so in the minds of the LXX and Aquila, my belief is that it works fine in Hebrew too. As a matter of grammar, what is dug out can be either the objects created (dig out a hole) or the object acted upon directly (dig out the land).

When the Tanakh says in Proverbs 16:27 that the evildoer digs up evil, it means that the evil was someplace and then the evildoer acquires it. Nowhere does that expression suggest that the evil that was excavated was "created" by the excavation anymore than digging up gold creates the gold. Phrases like A. "dig a hole" (objected that results from the action) or B. "dig the ground"(object acted directly upon) or C. "dig up gold" (object that is removed) all make perfect sense conceptually.

In Job 41, we do see karah being used as a destructive, non-creative action:

5. Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?

6 Shall the companions make a banquet(karah) of him? shall they part him among the merchants?

7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?

Each of those verses talks of performing agrressive conduct. Verse 6 says about performing gouging / karah on him, which is interpreted metaphorically as making a banquet of him, the direct object on which the karah verb is performed.

The narrator in Psalm 22 is described, if this verb use of karah fits, as being made a "banquet" of by the hungry "ravening" lion's mouth.
Just as predators divide up flesh, the enemies in Psalm 22 are dividing the clothes.
13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied:
29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship:
What are all these food and eating references doing in this chapter?

:wtf: :eh: :popcorn:

What is getting eaten? What is it that the righteous ate in ancient Judaism in connection with worship, Joe?

I am seeing things in this chapter I didn't notice before. That's an advantage of having this discussion with you.

Tanakh is apparently fine with using a metaphor of Israelites to sheep that get eaten. Ezekiel 34:10 "I will rescue my flock from their mouths; the sheep will no longer be their prey."

Notice how the next chapter Psalm 23 starts with The Lord is My Shepherd. Is the author comparing himself in Psalms 22-23 to a sheep or lamb, like how Isaiah 53 compares the Servant to a sheep or lamb, and is he comparing his enemies to a lion or dogs that eat sheep?

JoeWallack wrote:
rakovsky wrote: Psalm 40:6
"Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou [KARAH - gouged]"
JW:
The ears are the subject here. There is no injury/destruction to the ears. In your word, it's the "opposite".
In modern English, the subject is supposed to normally come before the object and the singular 2nd person pronoun should be "you", but back in 17th c. English (like in Slavic languages and I imagine Greek and Latin) neither were necessarily the case, especially in poetry.

"I gave you the words of life" (Modern) vs. "The words of life I have given thee". ("King's English")

1 Kings 3:
"Yea and the things also which thou didst not ask, I have given thee"

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
spin

Post by spin »

rakovsky wrote:
spin wrote:
JoeWallack wrote: I had never heard the expression "pierced dirt" before. I think it is an odd attempt to use the idiom "break ground".
It's a modern metaphor, which makes good dramatic sense in its context, but employed here it shows someone who just doesn't know what he's doing other than desperately trying to justify his religious commitment to a non-biblical theory that doesn't fit the evidence. Rakovsky clearly must have "pierced" in the text at any cost when no ancient version in any language supports it. This is why he depends on the Greek "dug" (pits and wells) which he uses to hop to "gouged" from which he leaps to "pierced", like they were three passing trains going in different directions. Whatever you want to call this thought process, it's not rational or reasonable.
Spin,
Here comes the bait...
rakovsky wrote:It's impressive that you know Hebrew - I don't myself.
Followed by the switch...
rakovsky wrote:Can you please tell me if Yalkut Shimoni's commentary interprets the narrator's experience to mean he is "pierced" in the online Hebrew I pointed link below?

In Yalkuth Shimoni, supposedly they connect “many dogs have encompassed me” (using a midrashic principle called "binyan ab m'shna ketubim") with the Book of Esther, commenting on which, Rabbi Nehemiah said:
"They pierced my hands and feet". ... In English, “they have pierced my hands and my feet”—Rabbi Nehemiah quotes it this way, and the reading of “pierced” was accepted by ancient rabbis.
https://www.moriel.org/online-sermons/
It (or part of it) is online in Hebrew here:
http://www.sefaria.org/Yalkut_Shimoni_on_Torah?lang=bi
And here
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/11520

Thank you.
Your links are so unhelpful that you cannot in fairness expect anyone to do anything with them. In your zeal to foist the non-biblical "pierced" onto the world, you go to such desperate lengths and sources to push the blunder.

What you could do is
● show why we should bother looking at the Yalqut Shimoni including dating the source for relevance to the original text of Ps 22;
● you could explain why you are so influenced by scholarly sites such as Moriel Ministries rather than, you know, recognized scholars;
● you could quote the passage that interests you of the text and which specific parts help you;
● you could explain why you bother with something that uses "binyan ab m'shna ketubim" other than the fact you like the conclusion;
● you could stop presuming I will to do your work for you.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

spin wrote:
rakovsky wrote:It's impressive that you know Hebrew - I don't myself.
Followed by the switch...
I know Russian and Spanish. If something comes up in these talks that is in Spanish or Russian you want translated, let me know.

I think you are intelligent. You don't have to translate the Hebrew in Yalkut Shimoni if you don't want to.

I asked over on another forum if they will:
http://ancient-hebrew.proboards.com/thr ... y-psalm-22

Here is a third website with the Yalkut Shimoni:
http://web.archive.org/web/201502200143 ... index.html

According to the Christian writers like John Gill and Messianics like Dr. Amnon Shor, Yalkut on Isaiah 9, or Yalkut 60, or Pesikta in Yalkut, par. 2. fol. 56.4, or Yalkut 687 have discussions on Psalm 22 and apply it to Messiah.
Your links are so unhelpful that you cannot in fairness expect anyone to do anything with them.
Do you mean that the links don't have the right section of Yalkut Shimoni?

This was the best I could find.
In your zeal to foist the non-biblical "pierced" onto the world, you go to such desperate lengths and sources to push the blunder.
I think "pierce" is not the best translation, because I prefer literal translations, even though "common speech" ones are frequent.
The KJV in general is much more literal than many others, like the Good News Bible and NIV. Those have a habit of drastically rewording the verses.

Non-literal translations are kind of like midrash-style. They show you how the translator perceived the message of the verses. So this is not totally unhelpful, it's just not my preference.

"Oruksan" in LXX, as well as "dug out" or "gouged" would be literal translations for KRU, so that is my preference.

Pierce is not literal because digging the earth means piercing the earth, but you can't "pierce a hole" with a shovel. You "dig" or "gouge" a hole with a shovel. You can also dig or gouge a wound with a sharp object. So dig or gouge is best for KRU as a literal translation. That is my preference, not "pierced".

"Pierced" is only acceptable using a loose form of translation that is, for better or worse, standard in Christian and Jewish translations, like Psalm 40 using "opened" or Job 40 saying "make a banquet".

Yalkut Shimoni supposedly interprets v. 16 as saying "pierced" according to numerous nonscholarly websites, but I don't automatically trust whatever I read, so I want to see that confirmed before accepting it.
Last edited by rakovsky on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

spin

Post by spin »

rakovsky wrote:Do you mean that the links don't have the right section of Yalkut Shimoni?
When you cite material it is to exact information. Not the whole bloody work. That's just dumb. You provide citations to allow others to access specific evidence. You need to learn to cite properly, or you won't help your cause at all.
rakovsky wrote:
In your zeal to foist the non-biblical "pierced" onto the world, you go to such desperate lengths and sources to push the blunder.
I think "pierce" is not the best translation, because I prefer literal translations, even though "common speech" ones are frequent.
The KJV in general is much more literal than many others, like the Good News Bible and NIV. Those have a habit of drastically rewording the verses.

Non-literal translations are kind of like midrash-style. They show you how the translator perceived the message of the verses. So this is not totally unhelpful, it's just not my preference.
Non-literal translations are nothing to do with midrash. I understand the desire to stick to the text here, but literal translations are often totally wrong because a lot of language is not transparent by parts. Think of a modern example: "he's simple in the head". A literal translation, word-for-word, into German "Er ist einfach im Kopf" means nothing. You can only give a non-literal translation, a functional equivalent in the target language that does basically the same thing. Think of the Latin "supplicio adfecit" (Suet. Claud. 26.2), literally "[bestowed, caused, affected] punishment", though it really means "executed"; Tacitus Ann. 15.44, "supplicio adfectus erat", a common translation: "suffered the extreme penalty". You might perhaps get the idea it indicates he was executed. A literal translation fails here. The problem arises when one has to work with the implications of what is written, when a translation can't that frequently provide literal exactness.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

rakovsky wrote:Tobin is also making a mistake of ending the sentence at "me like a lion", wherein the text must actually include the words my arm and my legs, the role of which is what prompted the grammatical objection.

If people are objecting that a sentence I make is grammatically and conceptually confusing, I don't get to drop out five words (eg. "my hands and my feet") to make it sensible. I have to include the five words and explain why they are sensible.
Why is this supposed to be a "mistake"? It's also the solution I suggested, without having read anything about this subject, just by looking at those three verses. Those words are not "dropped out", they are added to the next verse. There they make sense in the context of the sentence.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

spin wrote:
rakovsky wrote:Do you mean that the links don't have the right section of Yalkut Shimoni?
When you cite material it is to exact information. Not the whole bloody work. That's just dumb. You provide citations to allow others to access specific evidence. You need to learn to cite properly, or you won't help your cause at all.
I agree that this is best.
I think you are a British scholar. That is sophisticated. I am American. There are a ton of us and we are usually not sophisticated. I am not a scholar either, but I did get a "B.S. degree". I don't know if they even have those in the U.K.

Here is a third website with the Yalkut Shimoni that breaks it down by Tanakh book:
http://web.archive.org/web/201502200143 ... index.html

According to the Christian writers like John Gill and Messianics like Dr. Amnon Shor, Yalkut on Isaiah 9, or Yalkut 60, or Pesikta in Yalkut, par. 2. fol. 56.4, or Yalkut 687 have discussions on Psalm 22 and apply it to Messiah.

rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Ulan wrote:
rakovsky wrote:Tobin is also making a mistake of ending the sentence at "me like a lion", wherein the text must actually include the words my arm and my legs, the role of which is what prompted the grammatical objection.

If people are objecting that a sentence I make is grammatically and conceptually confusing, I don't get to drop out five words (eg. "my hands and my feet") to make it sensible. I have to include the five words and explain why they are sensible.
Why is this supposed to be a "mistake"?
I like that you are creative. But the translation is a mistake because "My hands and my feet" is not a grammatical sentence. Nor are there any sentences in the chapter composed solely of nouns, possessive pronouns and conjunctions. I am not aware of any in the body of any Psalm, but invite you to correct me on that.

Nor does "My hands and my feet" make linguistic sense. "My hands and my feet do what?"

Nor is this anomaly proposed in any of the dozens of midrashes or translations or professional scholarship that I am aware of besides Tobin's hypothesis.

rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

spin wrote: Non-literal translations are nothing to do with midrash. I understand the desire to stick to the text here, but literal translations are often totally wrong because a lot of language is not transparent by parts. Think of a modern example: "he's simple in the head". A literal translation, word-for-word, into German "Er ist einfach im Kopf" means nothing. You can only give a non-literal translation, a functional equivalent in the target language that does basically the same thing. Think of the Latin "supplicio adfecit" (Suet. Claud. 26.2), literally "[bestowed, caused, affected] punishment", though it really means "executed"; Tacitus Ann. 15.44, "supplicio adfectus erat", a common translation: "suffered the extreme penalty". You might perhaps get the idea it indicates he was executed. A literal translation fails here. The problem arises when one has to work with the implications of what is written, when a translation can't that frequently provide literal exactness.
Literal translation is my preference when getting down to a close analysis of the text.
With "Er ist einfach im Kopf" , "supplicio adfecit" , "supplicio adfectus erat", for a close analysis I would translate each word for word, with a footnote that these are expressions used to mean certain things.

"Suffered the extreme penalty" would mean capital punishment to me, and for that translation, I prefer to leave it as what you called the common translation. "Executed" would be more like the translator's own paraphrasing to me.

Since you are translating into German "Er ist einfach im Kopf", and I don't know German, I can't argue for or against that.
But if you say the same thing in Russian - "Он простой в голове", I could figure out what you mean very easily, and Slavic isn't even in the Centum language family. My guess would be the same is true for German people, but I'm not German.
Простак means a simple person (from Прост-ак). Wikislovar explains that it means a simple-souled person who falls into funny situations.

Notice how the New Testament has this same kind of expression in Greek and they were Aramaic speakers - "Let your eye be simple (haplous)." I prefer to read it that way in my translation, not as a translator paraphrasing it into "Have an easy-to-understand perception of reality".

Ulan

Post by Ulan »

rakovsky wrote:
Ulan wrote:

Why is this supposed to be a "mistake"?
I like that you are creative. But the translation is a mistake because "My hands and my feet" is not a grammatical sentence. Nor are there any sentences in the chapter composed solely of nouns, possessive pronouns and conjunctions. I am not aware of any in the body of any Psalm, but invite you to correct me on that.

Nor does "My hands and my feet" make linguistic sense. "My hands and my feet do what?"

Nor is this anomaly proposed in any of the dozens of midrashes or translations or professional scholarship that I am aware of besides Tobin's hypothesis.
This is now you just being disingenuous. Why do you cut off the rest of my statement to battle a strawman instead? Both, Tobin and I, we added "my hands and my feet" to the next verse. That's where you count your bones.