Is 1 Cor 11:23-27 an Interpolation? (split)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
spin

2 Tim & Luke

Post by spin »

2 Tim 4:11 (and Col 4:14) may be an effort to establish Lk.
Secret Alias

Re: Is 1 Cor 11:23-27 an Interpolation? (split)

Post by Secret Alias »

But the language is so striking. I wonder whether there was an early tradition that Luke wrote on Paul's behalf. I think Clement mentions that Luke wrote Hebrews. Obviously the 'my gospel' of Paul is supposed to be the gospel of Luke. I was struck by your side by side example and I wonder whether 'Luke' was responsible for the interpolation. Trobisch mentions the basic idea. There are all these scattered references in the canon to someone gathering up and canonizing the Pauline scriptures = 'Luke.' It might strengthen your argument that if someone (a Marcionite) came across the insertion it's obvious Lukan handwriting might have authenticated the addition. The early orthodox could have accepted a Lukan 'addition' as authentic.

The reference in Clement:
[Clement] has given in the Hypotyposes abridged accounts of all canonical Scripture, not omitting the disputed books...He says that the Epistle to the Hebrews is the work of Paul and that is was written to the Hebrews in the Hebrew language; but that Luke translated it carefully and published it for the Greeks, and hence the same style of expression is found in this epistle and in the Acts... (H.E 6.14)
Spin's argument would bolster claims that Luke not only gathered together and canonized the letters but edited and added to them. Another parallel between Luke and 1 Corinthians is the speaking in tongues https://books.google.com/books?id=1PDmA ... ns&f=false which is anti-Marcionite and in keeping with the New Prophesy of Asia Minor.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So just to summarize:

1. spin's argument is suggestive that 1 Cor 11:23 - 27 is an interpolation
2. spin's analysis is suggestive that the interpolation bears some relationship with Lukan reworkings of Mark
3. there is other evidence for a reworking of Pauline material by Luke

= there was likely a Lukan reworking of a Pauline corpus which included (theoretically) but not limited to the gospel (of Mark), 1 Corinthians and Hebrews.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

FWIW scholars have suggested that Luke was the author of the Pastorals. (1Timothy 2 Timothy Titus)

Andrew Criddle