What is "a reasohable doubt?" (for Pete and everyone)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: What is "a reasohable doubt?" (for Pete and everyone)

Post by andrewcriddle »

neilgodfrey wrote:So you can't identify any person universally accepted as genuinely historical on the grounds of stories -- whether from an ancient historical or fictional or mythical or theological or philosophical or dramatic or indeterminate or other genre -- alone?

I'm sure you can if you stop to think for a few moments.
Would Pythagoras qualify ?

His historicity is very widely accepted despite our evidence being based on what I would regard as 'stories'.

Andrew Criddle
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Metacrock wrote: ... you have made up your own standard of history that real historians do not use.
What 'standard of history' do "real historians" use :?:
Last edited by MrMacSon on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

MrMacSon wrote:
Metacrock wrote: ... you have made up your own standard of history that real historians do not use.
historians accept Festus mentioned in Paul's letter based upon mention in acts and name on a wall. They accept Pilate with only a couple of mentions,

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

Metacrock wrote:historians accept Festus mentioned in Paul's letter based upon mention in acts and name on a wall. They accept Pilate with only a couple of mentions,
I guess the acceptance of Festus is rather due to the point that there's nothing lost or won by not accepting him as historical. It doesn't really make any difference with regard to anything. It's not really a big thing whether a single name in Acts is wrong or right. He's also mentioned by Josephus, for what it's worth.

Pilate is a clear case, regarding there's a stone with his name on it in Caesarea Maritima, which is quite good as solid evidence. Solid as a rock, if I might say so.
spin

Post by spin »

Metacrock wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:
historians accept Festus mentioned in Paul's letter based upon mention in acts and name on a wall. They accept Pilate with only a couple of mentions,
Hmmm, Cartesian history. Donald gets more mentions than Daisy in the Woodchuck Universal History, so Donald's more historical.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

andrewcriddle wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:So you can't identify any person universally accepted as genuinely historical on the grounds of stories -- whether from an ancient historical or fictional or mythical or theological or philosophical or dramatic or indeterminate or other genre -- alone?

I'm sure you can if you stop to think for a few moments.
Would Pythagoras qualify ?

His historicity is very widely accepted despite our evidence being based on what I would regard as 'stories'.

Andrew Criddle
Thanks, Andrew. Yes, indeed. -- Or at least I think so. I am pretty sure you are correct and that we have "stories alone" as his witnesses.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Homer. You have an oral tradition passing on a story ascribed to this man. No manuscripts or evidence he wrote anything down.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote:Homer. You have an oral tradition passing on a story ascribed to this man. No manuscripts or evidence he wrote anything down.
Come now. Homer is most certainly not "a person universally accepted as genuinely historical." His existence is routinely doubted.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I didn't know which age we were speaking of. Are there doubts about Homer's existence in antiquity or are the stories enough to prove he existed?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote:I didn't know which age we were speaking of. Are there doubts about Homer's existence in antiquity or are the stories enough to prove he existed?
I do not know that his existence was doubted in antiquity. But the kind of figure Neil asked for was "any person universally accepted as genuinely historical."
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ