Whatever happened to Earl Doherty?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Re: Whatever happened to Earl Doherty?

Post by GakuseiDon »

Blood wrote:Carrier pretty much stole all his ideas and the rest is history.
I don't think it fair to call it "stealing". Dr Carrier has credited Doherty many times as contributing to his move to the position of mythicist. In OHJ, Carrier writes on page xiv in his Preface:
  • Special thanks also go to David Fitzgerald (author of The Mormons and Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All) for his help, advice and friendship. And to Earl Doherty (author of The Jesus Puzzle and Jesus: Neither God nor Man) and Evan Fales (who may one day come out with Reading Sacred Texts: An Anthropological Approach to the Gospel of St. Matthew), for their particular assistance and perspective. I don't always agree with them, but their often-brilliant work did influence me, even if not always in the direction they may have hoped.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

GakuseiDon wrote:
Blood wrote:Carrier pretty much stole all his ideas and the rest is history.
I don't think it fair to call it "stealing". Dr Carrier has credited Doherty many times as contributing to his move to the position of mythicist. In OHJ,
To me, this mostly sounded like "damning with faint praise". YMMV.
jayraskin

Post by jayraskin »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info on Earl's book. Damn, that's the book I wanted to write before the Holy War of Transgendered-Lesbian, Anti-Feminist Feminists against Bill Cosby started. That takes up practically all of my time now. I will be writing a book comparing Jesus Christ and Bill Cosby as soon as the witch hunt and lynching of "America's Favorite Dad" is over. I'll try to explain how Bill Cosby can be real and Jesus Christ a myth and both stories follow such a similar pattern.

Warmly,

Jay Raskin
neilgodfrey wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:AFAIK this is the most recent full work by Doherty:

http://vridar.org/2012/04/09/earl-doher ... roduction/

Which was made into a book sometime in the last three years.
That book is available via kindle now: The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Jay,

You'll get a better hearing focusing on one or the other at a time. Both just sounds too nutty on the face of it, like that book that compared Jesus Christ to Harry Potter that nobody really noticed a few years back.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Peter Kirby wrote:Both just sounds too nutty on the face of it
You mean trying to address both the multiple sexual assault allegations against Bill Cosby as being the result of some eccentric bandwagon theory and the veracity of Jesus Christ as an historical person in the same book?

Jay will have to address each woman's claims individually & collectively. Some may be 'bandwagoning', but it seems increasingly unlikely they all are.

Peter Kirby wrote:like that book that compared Jesus Christ to Harry Potter that nobody really noticed a few years back.
Which book?

Isn't JK Rowling on record as saying she based Harry Potter on Jesus Christ?
Last edited by MrMacSon on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:like that book that compared Jesus Christ to Harry Potter that nobody really noticed a few years back.
Which book?
I imagine it is this one: Jesus Potter Harry Christ.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Ben C. Smith wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:
Which book?
I imagine it is this one: Jesus Potter Harry Christ.
That's the one.
MrMacSon wrote:You mean trying to address both ... in the same book?
Yep.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Yes, that never got traction, did it.

I see that "Roman Piso" is still around, vainly plugging his theory that everybody in antiquity is really Calpurnius Piso (including, presumably, the dog).