Whatever happened to Earl Doherty?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Roger Pearse

Whatever happened to Earl Doherty?

Post by Roger Pearse »

Thinking of mythicists of a couple of decades ago - I must be getting old! - I realised that it is a long time since I heard anything of Earl Doherty. I remember his "Jesus Puzzle"; and that seemed to be that.

Does anyone read his stuff any more? Whatever happened to him?
MrMacSon

Re: Whatever happened to Earl Doherty?

Post by MrMacSon »

I saw a post somewhere by Earl saying he was bowing out of the Jesus debates, to paraphrase, to do other things. He has posted recently in the comments section at vridar.org.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

AFAIK this is the most recent full work by Doherty:

http://vridar.org/2012/04/09/earl-doher ... roduction/

Which was made into a book sometime in the last three years.

He was also interviewed for that book in Greek (Jesus Mythicism: An Introduction), recently translated, has posted on occasion in the comments section at Vridar, and has made a single post in 2015 to Jesus Mysteries (the Yahoo! group), so I guess he's reading that list and blog.
I saw a post somewhere by Earl saying he was bowing out of the Jesus debates, to paraphrase, to do other things.
I remember that too (on JM?) but can't find it. I can totally understand getting tired of all this.
I remember his "Jesus Puzzle"; and that seemed to be that.
Earl Doherty was talking about making a bigger book around 2004 and eventually did so (Jesus: Neither Man Nor God).

Do I know too much? :lol:
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

MrMacSon wrote:I saw a post somewhere by Earl saying he was bowing out of the Jesus debates, to paraphrase, to do other things. He has posted recently in the comments section at vridar.org.
Wise man.

Thank you for the info.
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

Roger Pearse wrote:Thinking of mythicists of a couple of decades ago - I must be getting old! - I realised that it is a long time since I heard anything of Earl Doherty. I remember his "Jesus Puzzle"; and that seemed to be that.

JW:
Thinking of supernaturalists of a couple of millenniums ago - I "realised" that it is a long time since I heard anything from Jesus. Have you ever talked to him Roger? It's possible, right. Now tell the truth, you know he's listening/watching.

Joseph

The New Porphyry Blog
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Peter Kirby wrote:AFAIK this is the most recent full work by Doherty:

http://vridar.org/2012/04/09/earl-doher ... roduction/

Which was made into a book sometime in the last three years.
That book is available via kindle now: The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Metacrock

Post by Metacrock »

JoeWallack wrote:
Roger Pearse wrote:Thinking of mythicists of a couple of decades ago - I must be getting old! - I realised that it is a long time since I heard anything of Earl Doherty. I remember his "Jesus Puzzle"; and that seemed to be that.

JW:
Thinking of supernaturalists of a couple of millenniums ago - I "realised" that it is a long time since I heard anything from Jesus. Have you ever talked to him Roger? It's possible, right. Now tell the truth, you know he's listening/watching.

Joseph

The New Porphyry Blog
I have. We had coffee this morning. He warned me to expect this post. He seemed to indicates he's heard it before. :goodmorning: :goodmorning:
http://metacrock.blogspot.com/
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Always good to be reminded why so many atheists don't deserve a hearing.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Roger Pearse wrote:Always good to be reminded why so many atheists don't deserve a hearing.
"Atheists"? Why use Joe as a representative of atheists? Why not say "rabid Zionists" or "male right wingers" or "logophiles" or "JW's" or "sarcastic sods" or .... ?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Blood

Post by Blood »

Carrier pretty much stole all his ideas and the rest is history.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp