Whatever happened to ... the "Journal of Higher Criticism"?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ibn Rushd

Re: Whatever happened to ... the "Journal of Higher Criticism"?

Post by Ibn Rushd »

According to a recent ep. of the Bible Geek (Oct 2017) he said he has been thinking of rebirthing the journal again. He discusses it in his show, and wants people to submit articles. It won't be Peer Reviewed as he views it as stifling new ideas (as do I).
Bible Geek homepage
Jax

Post by Jax »

Jax wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am
DCHindley wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:43 pm
Jax wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:16 pm I am attempting to find an article from the Journal of Higher Criticism: Rainer Reuter, ‘Introduction to Synoptic Work on the New Testament Epistles’, Journal of Higher Criticism 9.2 (Fall 2002), pp. 246-58 as listed in the bibliography of On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier http://www.richardcarrier.info/bibliogr ... Biblio.pdf Chapter 11, Section 1. But on the site https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/ I am unable to locate it. The archives end at JHC 9/1 (Spring 2002).
Does anyone know where I can find this paper?
When the journal shut down, they never even updated their web page. It's like one of those quirky museums that show you a replica of President Abraham Lincoln's bedroom just the way he left it the day he went to the theater. Drew maintains the pages as a legacy, similar to how Orion.org does with their old DSS discussion list. However, Orion at least maintained their site and did not leave any loose ends.

Weirdly enough, the two articles in that same issue (9.2) immediately preceding the one you are interested in are actually available at the JHC website you gave, as PDFs (https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/PriceSchleiermacher.pdf & https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/Derrett_Descended.pdf). Darryl D perhaps did not think that the article was close enough to his heart to justify posting an archived version of the article. However, you may find it there by experimenting with possible file names. For all we know, issue 9.2 was never formally published, and circulated among practitioners of the craft as offset copies/scans of the printer's proofs. It would not be the first time ...

Those crazy biblical critics! Whoo ha ha! :cheeky:

From what I can make of other folks who cite this article by Reuter, it has mostly to do with comparison of the overlapping sections of Ephesians and Colossians.

Regarding the comparison of the Ephesians/Colossians overlap, I have created a "synoptic" comparison that has been posted on this board in the past (Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:42 pm):
http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... ians#p5930

If this is something you want to take a look at and comment upon, let me know and I'll post it here or on a brand spanking new thread.

DCH
Hi DCHindley, thank you for your reply to my question.

It is weird that the article in question is missing from between the two others.

"From what I can make of other folks who cite this article by Reuter, it has mostly to do with comparison of the overlapping sections of Ephesians and Colossians."

I was under the impression that the paper concerned the nature of the authentic letters of Paul being collections of letter fragments. From the notes of OHJ page 511.

"Many scholars suspect the letters to the Corinthians, Galatians, Phlippians and Thessalonians are likewise mishmashes of what were originally multiple letters (and not necessarily to the same destinations), and that some letters are redactions of others: see Rainer Reuter, ‘Introduction to Synoptic Work on the New Testament Epistles’, Journal
of Higher Criticism 9.2 (Fall 2002), pp. 246-58; Philip Sellew, ‘“Laodiceans” and the Philippians Fragments Hypothesis’, Harvard
Theological Review 87 (January 1994), pp. 17-28; etc."

I understand that the JHC is saved at the Library of Congress and so will make a request of a librarian for the paper.

And actually, if you or anyone else here has links to articles relating to the Pauline letters being multiple letters I would love to read them. By any chance is there a older thread here on this subject?

Thank you.

Jax
Update: The article that I was looking for was very kindly sent to me by Mr. Price in the mail (very cool of him :)).

The article itself: Rainer Reuter, ‘Introduction to Synoptic Work on the New Testament Epistles’ is a paper on the letters of the NT and how some of them may be shown to depend on earlier letters in the NT cannon. It and another table was the basis for the spreadsheet that I created a while back viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3459&start=210
a better example is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
biblegeekfan

Post by biblegeekfan »

The Journal of Higher Criticism was just revived this month! It is posted on Dr. Price's website. Here is the link: http://robertmprice.mindvendor.com/JHC/ ... 1_2018.pdf
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

biblegeekfan wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 pm The Journal of Higher Criticism was just revived this month! It is posted on Dr. Price's website. Here is the link: http://robertmprice.mindvendor.com/JHC/ ... 1_2018.pdf
Thanks. It's good to see that.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Bravo. Another good reason to support Dr. Price, if one is able.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Jax

Post by Jax »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm Bravo. Another good reason to support Dr. Price, if one is able.
:thumbup:
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

To be honest, the quality of the articles in the latest edition is not up to what had previously been published. His article on Apollonius of Tyana seems to me to be little more than an apology reasoning that if we can think of Apollonius as entirely mythical, why not Jesus? He does not seem to be informed as to the difference between a Magus (someone who was believed to be able to control demons, and thus, the events that demons can cause to occur) and a Goes (street magician). These two types of "magician" are like apples and oranges. Apollonius seems to me to be more like Paul than Jesus, traveling about the Mediterranean region to bring reform to old ways of thinking. Jesus traveled far less extensively than Paul is said to have done, and I am not sure that what he advocated was religious reform (Horsley not withstanding).

But even in the old days, the journal seemed a little hokey. I mean, the woodcuts of Strauss & Bauer. I had even sent him an e-mail (or was it a letter) asking if he was being serious, and he assured me he was, and sent me a couple complimentary copies of the journal (vol 3/2 Fall 1996, and vol 5/2 Fall 1998). They were OK, I guess. But scholars like Hermann Detering and Barbara Thiering are mixed in with A Q Morton, Michael Goulder and Jacob Neusner. At least they were not schwarmy (as opposed to actually informative) post modern tinged articles such as those in a complimentary copy of the then brand new Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters (vol 1/1 Spring 2011) I received because I participated in the Corpus Paulinum list: "Incarnation as Mimertic Participation" "Some First Steps toward a Theology of Mind," "An Exercise in Pastoral Pedagogy and Constructive Theology," and "An Elliptical Response to the Concerns of Gorman and Tilling." You get the idea. That's post modern in dress, but not post modern in a deconstructive sense.

DCH
Jax

Post by Jax »

DCHindley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm To be honest, the quality of the articles in the latest edition is not up to what had previously been published. His article on Apollonius of Tyana seems to me to be little more than an apology reasoning that if we can think of Apollonius as entirely mythical, why not Jesus? He does not seem to be informed as to the difference between a Magus (someone who was believed to be able to control demons, and thus, the events that demons can cause to occur) and a Goes (street magician). These two types of "magician" are like apples and oranges. Apollonius seems to me to be more like Paul than Jesus, traveling about the Mediterranean region to bring reform to old ways of thinking. Jesus traveled far less extensively than Paul is said to have done, and I am not sure that what he advocated was religious reform (Horsley not withstanding).

But even in the old days, the journal seemed a little hokey. I mean, the woodcuts of Strauss & Bauer. I had even sent him an e-mail (or was it a letter) asking if he was being serious, and he assured me he was, and sent me a couple complimentary copies of the journal (vol 3/2 Fall 1996, and vol 5/2 Fall 1998). They were OK, I guess. But scholars like Hermann Detering and Barbara Thiering are mixed in with A Q Morton, Michael Goulder and Jacob Neusner. At least they were not schwarmy (as opposed to actually informative) post modern tinged articles such as those in a complimentary copy of the then brand new Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters (vol 1/1 Spring 2011) I received because I participated in the Corpus Paulinum list: "Incarnation as Mimertic Participation" "Some First Steps toward a Theology of Mind," "An Exercise in Pastoral Pedagogy and Constructive Theology," and "An Elliptical Response to the Concerns of Gorman and Tilling." You get the idea. That's post modern in dress, but not post modern in a deconstructive sense.

DCH
Any links to the highlighted I would love to have.

Thank you :)

Lane
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Jax wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm
DCHindley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pmAt least [issues of JHC] were not schwarmy (as opposed to actually informative) post modern tinged articles such as those in a complimentary copy of the then brand new Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters (vol 1/1 Spring 2011) I received because I participated in the Corpus Paulinum list: "Incarnation as Mimertic Participation" "Some First Steps toward a Theology of Mind," "An Exercise in Pastoral Pedagogy and Constructive Theology," and "An Elliptical Response to the Concerns of Gorman and Tilling." You get the idea. That's post modern in dress, but not post modern in a deconstructive sense.
Hmmm. Back then it was published by Eisenbrauns. Now it is published by Pennsylvania State University.

https://www.psupress.org/Journals/jnls_SPL.html

I don't think this journal has ever been online under any publisher.

DCH
Jax

Post by Jax »

DCHindley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm
Jax wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm
DCHindley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pmAt least [issues of JHC] were not schwarmy (as opposed to actually informative) post modern tinged articles such as those in a complimentary copy of the then brand new Journal for the Study of Paul and his Letters (vol 1/1 Spring 2011) I received because I participated in the Corpus Paulinum list: "Incarnation as Mimertic Participation" "Some First Steps toward a Theology of Mind," "An Exercise in Pastoral Pedagogy and Constructive Theology," and "An Elliptical Response to the Concerns of Gorman and Tilling." You get the idea. That's post modern in dress, but not post modern in a deconstructive sense.
Hmmm. Back then it was published by Eisenbrauns. Now it is published by Pennsylvania State University.

https://www.psupress.org/Journals/jnls_SPL.html

I don't think this journal has ever been online under any publisher.

DCH
Thank you Dave. :thumbup: