Vridar: Tim Widowfield, Euhemerism and Richard Carrier

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Vridar: Tim Widowfield, Euhemerism and Richard Carrier

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote: Which existing God was used to make the man Jesus ?
According to Christianity: the Christian God.

According to Carrier: the synoptic gospel writers.
iskander

Post by iskander »

The statement to explain is , in part, this:" Euhemerization is taking an already existing God, and converting them into a human being in a specific time and place in earth history "

Who was the already existing Christian God used to make the man Jesus?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote:The statement to explain is , in part, this:" Euhemerization is taking an already existing God, and converting them into a human being in a specific time and place in earth history "

Who was the already existing Christian God used to make the man Jesus?
Carrier proposes it was a celestial Christ -Carrier proposes this was largely the Christ of the Pauline texts ie. the Christ that Paul had a vision of.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Your explanation is that :There was no Christian God already existing to be used for the creation of the man Jesus.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote: Your explanation is that: There was no Christian God already existing to be used for the creation of the man Jesus.
Not really; You're being pedantic, & I was misled by your initial inability to articulate your question properly.

Of course the Christian god - the 'Christ' - is a new proposition about the proposed monotheistic God but, as you might have gleaned from this forum, and perhaps elsewhere, there are various propositions from Jewish literature and various so-called inter-testamentary and apocryphal texts about various notions of saviors, god, etc.
iskander

Post by iskander »

My question was a copy of the original . Richard Carrier says, :Euhemerization is taking an already existing God, and converting them into a human being in a specific time and place in earth history, who becomes a god (by definition after death or translation, since only by such means would one explain why they are no longer on earth).--- I have asked you to explain it.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/

You haven't succeeded in making any sense of it
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote:My question was a copy of the original . Richard Carrier says, :Euhemerization is taking an already existing God, and converting them into a human being in a specific time and place in earth history, who becomes a god (by definition after death or translation, since only by such means would one explain why they are no longer on earth).--- I have asked you to explain it.

I don't intend to speak for Richard Carrier. Go to his blog. Ask Him there.
iskander

Post by iskander »

MrMacSon wrote:
iskander wrote:My question was a copy of the original . Richard Carrier says, :Euhemerization is taking an already existing God, and converting them into a human being in a specific time and place in earth history, who becomes a god (by definition after death or translation, since only by such means would one explain why they are no longer on earth).--- I have asked you to explain it.

I don't intend to speak for Richard Carrier. Go to his blog. Ask Him there.
I took you for one of his Apostles. Sorry .
Goodnight
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Tim Widowfield in response to Carrier:

• Euhemerism Is Not “Doing What Euhemerus Did”

http://vridar.org/2016/04/16/euhemerism ... merus-did/

Can you think of anyone who rationalizes “obvious fabulous elements in the historical fables”? Who do you know that explains away miraculous material in ancient texts, “leaving standing a true history”? That’s right. All of the historicists who vigorously insist that they can carve away the implausible parts of the New Testament and leave behind the bare bones of the real Jesus are euhemerizing him. They’re not “doing what Euhemerus did,” but rather doing what euhemerizing has come to mean through its usage — which, by the way, is amply demonstrated in the historical record.
It's the Jesus historicists who are today's euhemerists - Richard Carrier's mythicist theory notwithstanding...
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Huon

Post by Huon »

1979 Episcopal Church (United States) Book of Common Prayer
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God,
begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Everybody of good will can see that JC was a historical person, without any sort of mythical additions ...