The parable of the talents or pounds/minas.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ken Olson

Re: The parable of the talents or pounds/minas.

Post by Ken Olson »

Ben Smith wrote:
If I may be permitted a follow-up question, in your experience so far, have you found the other typical examples of "following one source at a time" (Josephus following Chronicles and Kings, for example) to show the same kind of influx of little details and remembrances from the "other" source (the one not currently being followed) like the ones I mentioned above?
Youch! Tough question. No, not that I recall. Pelling refers to this happening in "Plutarch's Method of Work" (p. 95), and so does Downing on Josephus, but they don't give examples. The closest thing IIRC is that Josephus once or twice has details brought in from a different location in the same work (Kings or Chronicles), but I don't recall specific cases of details brought in from the other work. Derrenbacker, like me, assumes this happens in the case of the synoptic gospels (239-25, 253), but I don't think he gave any examples of it in his more extensive review of ancient literature.

Best,

Ken
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote:Ben Smith wrote:
If I may be permitted a follow-up question, in your experience so far, have you found the other typical examples of "following one source at a time" (Josephus following Chronicles and Kings, for example) to show the same kind of influx of little details and remembrances from the "other" source (the one not currently being followed) like the ones I mentioned above?
Youch! Tough question. No, not that I recall.
Nor have I, but that does not mean much, since I have not searched very hard (a bit in Josephus, not much more).
Pelling refers to this happening in "Plutarch's Method of Work" (p. 95), and so does Downing on Josephus, but they don't give examples. The closest thing IIRC is that Josephus once or twice has details brought in from a different location in the same work (Kings or Chronicles), but I don't recall specific cases of details brought in from the other work. Derrenbacker, like me, assumes this happens in the case of the synoptic gospels (239-25, 253), but I don't think he gave any examples of it in his more extensive review of ancient literature.
Thanks. Perhaps something I can explore a bit more at some point.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

I wrote:
But when Klinghardt gets around to describing his own theory that the author of Luke used Marcion, he also allows for secondary influence from Matthew (see the chart on page 21).
And Tenorikuma responded:
I think any synoptic solution that accounts for everything (or nearly everything) is going to have to deal with the possibility that influence can go both ways once both documents are circulating. Our manuscript tradition, though it is later than this period, does reflect a lot of Matthean assimilation into Luke. There is no reason this could not have begun in the second century. I have no disagreement with the examples of secondary influence from Matthew and John suggested by BeDuhn in The First New Testament.
My criticism was of Klinghardt, not BeDuhn. He begins his paper by dismissing the Two-Document and Farrer Hypotheses based on premises he later rejects or puts in question. It is of course possible for Klinghardt’s theory to be correct despite bad arguments being advanced for it. But one of the first things we expect from anyone making an argument, though, is that he himself actually holds the premises of his argument to be true. The fact is that Marcion can’t replace Q completely and doesn’t explain the Minor Agreements fully, so Klinghardt’s fall back position is that canonical Luke did use Matthew. Fine; his hypothesis may be correct. But he deduced the necessity for his hypothesis based on premises that he later rejects. How about he first starts with premises that he accepts and then tells us why his hypothesis is better?

Additionally, Klinghardt and Matthean priority camp (well, they’re aren’t enough of them to be a camp yet, but Garrow anyway) have pressed the problem of Luke’s lack of L material and not using Matthew’s M material as a problem for Farrer, but haven’t really noticed yet that Matthew’s lack of L material and failure to use Luke’s additions to Mark are a mirror image problem for them. (Robert MacEwen’s recent book on Matthean Posteriority is an exception. To his credit, he does acknowledge the issue). Now the so-called Mark-Q overlap passages are an exception for both hypotheses, but not in quite the same way. On Farrer, they are places where Luke has chosen to follow Matthew instead of Mark in the triple tradition, but on Matthean posteriority they are places where Matthew has conflated Mark and Luke. What the Matthean posteriority theory needs is a good explanation for why, if Matthew can conflate Mark and Luke in the triple tradition, he’s done so only in these few places. For the vast majority of triple tradition, Matthew would be ignoring Luke’s additions. The traditional 2DH may have an advantage here—the rest of the triple tradition isn’t ignored, it wasn’t in Matthew’s non-Markan source (Q) at all.
Tenorikuma: If I divide the passage into sections, it's something like this:
Sorry, I won’t be able to respond to your theory of how Matthew would be moving back and forth between Mark and Luke in detail. I think it obscures the point that I was making about Matthew’s near-perfect conflation that may be more apparent in the color coded Greek synopsis here:

http://www.salomoni.it/davide/theology/ ... story.html

In conflating Mark and Luke, Matthew would be omitting a lot of Luke’s words (yellow) and a lot of Mark’s words (red), but he gets almost all the words they have in common (brown) missing very few (orange).

I’m not convinced that your explanation of Matthew moving back and forth between his sources explains this. It is possible of course to describe the procedure an author must have used to come up with the result he did, but it doesn’t seem to me you’ve explained why he would have made the particular moves he did. Matthew seems to know that where Luke and Mark are verbatim the same, he has to copy them precisely, but where they differ (as in the strong man) he can pick one version and then recast it (but retaining the few common words).
Summary:
The general lack of Lk-Mk agreement against Mt doesn't seem conclusive one way or another because of how the material is structured. The ordering of the material suggests to me that Luke is more original than Matthew. However, Luke has more unique material than Matthew. Does that suggest Lukan posteriority, or did Matthew just prefer Mark's version of those sections?
I’m also confused about what you think about Luke/Proto-Luke/Marcion, because you seem to be talking about Matthew using canonical Luke (a la Garrow and MacEwen) here, but elsewhere you’ve suggested that Matthew’s following proto-Luke, which may or may not be the same as Marcion. This is relevant because several parts of Luke 11.14-26 cannot be established from Marcion. For instance, the last part of Luke 11.19 “because of this they will judge you” can’t be attested in Marcion (BeDuhn thinks it may be a harmonization to Matthew 12.27). Similarly, all of 11.23, where Luke is in verbatim agreement with Matthew 12.30, is unattested in Marcion. If you want to follow Marcion/BeDuhn then your argument about Matthew’s unique material that Luke would have omitted is put in question. You would need to answer the questions you raise yourself. Why has the canonical form of Luke been harmonized to include some phrases and verses from the parallel passage in Matthew, but not others? Why include “because of this they will judge you’” from Matthew but not “son of David?” [I don’t actually have a conclusive answer on the omission of “son of David” myself. I would guess that Luke is actually following the Matt 9.32-34 version and is actually omitting “Never has anything like this been seen in Israel”—but I don’t know why. Luke sometimes mentions Israel, but omits both of Mark’s uses of the word. So I admit I haven’t figured out quite what he’s doing, other than that he frequently abbreviates his sources by omitting what he doesn’t consider necessary for the story].
Tenorikuma: I am generally convinced by Carr's view (set forth in Reading the Fractures of Genesis) that P was a rewrite of non-P (traditionally J or JE), and that another editor combined P with non-P, often mixing two sources within the same episode. (The flood story is the paradigmatic example.) This results in a mix of sources that is difficult or impossible to disentangle in places, much like the Synoptic problem. In fact, Carr uses the Diatessaron as an example of the challenges involved, showing how Tatian would sometimes combine multiple Gospel sources even within the same sentence.
Interestingly, your paraphrase of Carr is a more accurate description of what Tatian is doing in the Diatesseron than what Carr actually said was (inasmuch as we can reconstruct Tatian from late Latin/Armenian/Arabic manuscripts). Carr said: “Tatian often switches between gospels for single words or phrases” (Fractures 36) and cites the examples in G. F. Moore’s work.
Here’s the beginning of the example Moore gives on the page Carr cites:
[Mark 4.35a] And he said to them that day at evening [Luke 8.22b] Let us go over to the other side of the Lake [Mark 4.36a] And he sent away the multitude [Luke 8.22a] And Jesus embarked in the boat, he and his disciples [Mark 4.36b] and there were with them other boats [Matt 8.24a] And there arose in the sea a great commotion and wind. [p. 206, format adapted; G.F. Moore , “Tatian’s Diatesseron and the Analysis of the Pentateuch,” JBL 9.2 (1890) 201-215]
So you're right, Tatian does in fact switch between gospels, sometimes within the same sentence, but not at the level of single words. He follows one gospel, then another, and marks his transitions with single-letter sigla to indicate which he is following. He is indeed moving between sources, but not really rewriting them at all or composing himself in the way the canonical evangelists did. He’s actually copying one, then copying another, then switching which one he’s copying again.

By the way, there's a good article on the Beelzebul pericope from the Farrer perspective by Eric Eve, "The Devil Is In the Details," in the Poirier & Peterson Marcan Priority without Q volume. Eve goes beyond what I argued, especially in showing how the Matthean additions to Mark in the pericope are explicable as Matthean redaction.

Best,

Ken
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote:Sorry, I won’t be able to respond to your theory of how Matthew would be moving back and forth between Mark and Luke in detail. I think it obscures the point that I was making about Matthew’s near-perfect conflation that may be more apparent in the color coded Greek synopsis here:

http://www.salomoni.it/davide/theology/ ... story.html
Ouch: yellow text on white. At the risk of sounding self-serving, I have this pericope up on my (now old, seldom updated) site, and one can adjust the color scheme: http://textexcavation.com/synbeezebul.html.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

I have put together a rough Greek synopsis for the death of Saul in the Jewish Texts and History forum: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2168. I may have some observations later.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ken Olson wrote:Ben Smith wrote:
Youch! Tough question. No, not that I recall. Pelling refers to this happening in "Plutarch's Method of Work" (p. 95), and so does Downing on Josephus, but they don't give examples. The closest thing IIRC is that Josephus once or twice has details brought in from a different location in the same work (Kings or Chronicles), but I don't recall specific cases of details brought in from the other work. Derrenbacker, like me, assumes this happens in the case of the synoptic gospels (239-25, 253), but I don't think he gave any examples of it in his more extensive review of ancient literature.
There is a possible such remembrance or detail brought in by Josephus (καὶ σκυλεύσαντες ἀποτέμνουσιν αὐτῶν τὰς κεφαλάς) from 1 Chronicles 10.9 (καὶ ἔλαβον τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ) compared to 1 Kingdoms 31.9 (καὶ ἀποστρέφουσιν αὐτὸν). Of course, the Masoretic text has an explicit decapitation at 1 Kingdoms/Samuel 31.9, so it is also possible that Josephus had a manuscript that followed the Hebrew more closely; on the other hand, maybe the Hebrew itself is actually a harmonization to 1 Chronicles 10.9. At any rate, the possibility is there.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

I mentioned above that I may at some point address Petri Luomanen's arguments that the Hebraic gospel postdates the synoptic tradition, arguments which he gives on pages 131-132 of Recovering Jewish-Christian Sects and Gospels:

First, it is very difficult to argue for a tradition-historical line of development from “more Mediterranean” to “less Mediterranean” within such a short time span as we would have to presume between the Matthean/Lukan version(s) and the version in the Gospel of the Hebrews. Because the overall culture is the same, there have to be some specific reasons for the development. Nevertheless, these cultural considerations show that the Eusebian version of the parable is perfectly possible and that there is no need to presume any mistake on Eusebius’ part. The parable in the Gospel of the Hebrews probably praised the servant who simply hid his talent.

Second, as we have already seen, some linguistic details suggest that text that Eusebius quoted had connections to both Matthew and Luke. This points rather towards a post-synoptic harmonizing tradition.

Third, the characterization in the Matthean and Lukan versions— especially in the light of the idea of limited good—seem to belong to the same group of morally questionable parables as, for instance, the Parable of Dishonest Manager (Luke 16:1-13) and the Parable of the Unjust Judge (Luke 18:1-8). All these parables use morally questionable characters as figures who exemplify something of what God requires of men. Furthermore, in the case of the Parable of the Talents/Mina (in Matthew and Luke), it is not only the praising of the smartest businessman that may have raised the eyebrows of the hearers but also the characterization of the master who obviously stands for God: he is hard and merciless (σκληρός in Matthew; αὐστηρός in Luke) who “reaps where he did not sow and gathers where he did not scatter.” These characteristics are hardly ideal for a farmer who wishes to live in peace with his neighbors in a world which presumes the idea of limited good. Because of these morally dubious features, it is easier to understand a tradition-historical development from the Matthean/Lukan version to the parable in the Gospel of the Hebrews which is more compatible with the common values of ancient Mediterranean culture.

Fourth, if we attribute to the Gospel of Hebrews both the Eusebian version of the Parable of the Talents and the parable about three rich men in Origen’s Latin commentary on Matthew..., we can see that both these parables are against being or becoming rich at the expense of others.

These are, I fear, exactly the sorts of arguments I find so very reversible in studies such as these.

The first argument confuses Mediterranean culture with the culture of one particular class in one particular area of the Mediterranean. While the argument that Luomanen used to justify the servant who hid the talent being accepted was based on the perspective of "poor Galilean peasants", the argument now seems to export Galilean peasant concerns into the entire Mediterranean area, across all classes and cultures and other divides. While poor Galilean peasants, and even their poor counterparts in other areas, may have been suspicious of free enterprise, it does not stand to reason that all classes of society would share these suspicions. It is no greater feat to imagine Matthew and Luke modifying Galilean peasant values in order to avoid condemning the merchant classes and other business owners in their parable than it is to imagine poor Galilean peasants modifying the merchant values found in Matthew and Luke. Even on the assumption that Matthew and Luke would have thought ill of the money-earning servant who got praised for his business sense, it does not stand to reason that their version comes first; refer below to my response to the third and fourth arguments. (I think this response of mine is consonant with Ken Olson's observations on the Context Group as a whole above.)

The second argument appears to assume that linguistic contact with both Matthew and Luke points to later harmonization of Matthew and Luke. Yet Mark bears scads of linguistic contact with both Matthew and Luke (here is one example of many), and it is most often presumed to have served as a source for the both of them. It is not a priori more likely that a text with both kinds of material must postdate both Matthew and Luke; such a text may just as easily predate them both and have served as a source for them.

The third argument and the fourth argument seem to me to swallow each other whole. The third sets our parable in amongst other synoptic parables with morally questionable characters taking positive roles, while the fourth sets the Hebraic parable in with another parable presumably from the same text which opposes wealth. Why should the distinct and separate tendencies of two different gospel texts automatically set one chronologically after the other simply by virtue of there existing such tendencies in the texts?

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

This is interesting -
Ben's OP wrote:
Luke-Acts elsewhere shows a great interest in Judean history, especially in topics that overlap Josephus' works; also, since the introductory line of the parable cannot be cleanly removed like the whole verses 14 and 27 or even the little phrase in verse 15 can, the parable must have been reworked so as to incorporate these elements; this is more than just a handful of marginal notes inserted into the main text (that is, this seems redactional, not scribal). So, while I agree that the original form of the parable probably lacked these elements alluding to Archelaus (and it is true that they are not attested for the Marcionite gospel, though that is not as strong as saying that they are attested as absent from it), I also suspect that its current Lucan form probably owes its existence to the same editor or editors who like to talk about Quirinius and Philip the Tetrarch and Theudas and the Egyptian and other figures from Judean history.
Regarding references to the Marcionite gospel, Tenorikuma had said

Marcion’s Evangelion .. was missing these two verses (vv. 14 & 27) as far as we can tell, and that probably means they weren’t part of the original parable. Furthermore, nearly all scholars agree that they are a clear reference to Archelaus, who ruled Judea for about ten years.

According to Josephus (J.W. 2.1ff. and Ant. 17.206ff), Archelaus travelled to Rome upon the death of his father, Herod the Great, hoping to be crowned king of Judea. A delegation of Jews opposed to Archelaus also went to Rome and petitioned Caesar Augustus not to make Archelaus king. Augustus decided to give Archelaus control of Judea, but as ethnarch rather than king. Later, upon returning to Judea, the ruthless Archelaus slaughtered numerous Jews during Passover for fear they were rebelling against him.

It appears that a later editor decided to enhance the parallels between Jesus and Archelaus by adding verses 14 and 27 to the story (based on details he may have learned from Josephus), which survive in canonical Luke. We can only guess what that editor’s motivations were.

Verse 25 is also awkward because of how it interrupts the nobleman’s speech. (Verse 26 continues his speech, but without indicating a change in speaker.) However, this verse is also unattested in Evangelion and is missing from several ancient manuscripts of canonical Luke. We may surmise it was not part of the original parable.

Without these additions, we are left with a coherent parable that is shorter and simpler than Matthew’s. It’s starting to look like Luke’s version might be more original.

https://isthatinthebible.wordpress.com/ ... test-case/
Note Tenorikuma's diagram - https://isthatinthebible.files.wordpres ... lents2.png