Bermejo-Rubio: Jesus and the Anti-Roman Resistance

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Bermejo-Rubio: Jesus and the Anti-Roman Resistance

Post by maryhelena »

Giuseppe wrote:Maryhelena, please note that the view of the prof is different from your insofar he writes:
It would be unfair to claim that by proposing the image of a rebellious Jesus we are straying far from the synoptic Jesus. I have nowhere resorted to the Slavonic Josephus, neither to pagan anti-Christian authors (Celsus, Hierocles…) hinting at Jesus as a rebel, neither to Jewish polemics, neither to suspicious apocryphal texts. Moreover, the Jesus here portrayed is not a Jesus hidden behind or beyond the sources. The building blocks of the Jesus figure we have reconstructed come from the canonical Gospels themselves (occasionally supplemented by other New Testament writings). It is the Christian Scriptures that afford us with this view, not the ‘fanciful minds’ of Reimarus, Hennell, Kautsky, Eisler, Brandon, Maccoby, and so on. Put otherwise, the seditious Jesus is also a remembered Jesus.378 This, in turn, means that if Jesus was not a seditionist, the Gospels—as far as they contain much evidence which is otherwise unintelligible—would be desperately absurd and meaningless texts. Unless the Gospels are tales told by an idiot, the involvement of Jesus in anti-Roman activities is an inescapable corollary.
(p. 99, my bold)

Sincerely, I am going to be convinced by his arguments. I wait his next article about a revaluation of the Criterion of Embarrassment.
Bermejo-Rubio is a Jesus historicist! I'm an ahistoricist.....The point of referencing Bermejo-Rubio on a seditious Jesus is....... that is the gospel story. The question then becomes what is the gospel story about - is it history or is it mythology, or is it a political allegory.....

Bermejo-Rubio: ''....if Jesus was not a seditionist, the Gospels—as far as they contain much evidence which is otherwise unintelligible—would be desperately absurd and meaningless texts. Unless the Gospels are tales told by an idiot, the involvement of Jesus in anti-Roman activities is an inescapable corollary.''

Good - if you are convinced that Bermejo-Rubio's arguments for a seditious gospel Jesus are valid...... :thumbup:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats