My review of Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
timhendrix

Re: My review of Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Je

Post by timhendrix »

MrMacSon:
I'm not sure whether the specific point about whether one entity out of the several scored on that scale - Moses - died on the supernatural realm or not is that pertinent.
Let's try to break this down. Firstly, do you agree with the following way of approximating a probability using a reference class?:

P(A|B) = (elements that matches A and B) / (Elements that matches B)

(if not, what is the correct way?)
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

I may get this totally wrong and if so I apologize but I'm going to try and crudely express what I think is a key issue without the complexities of Bayes theorem.

Let A be the probability that there was an historical Jesus.
Let B be the probability that Jesus was believed to have lived and died upon earth but didn't. (i.e. there was no historical Jesus and no belief in a Jesus who lived and died in the lower heavens)
Let C be the probability that Jesus was not originally believed to have lived and died upon earth. (Richard Carrier's preferred option)

It is claimed that using prior probabilities and the evidence of the Gospels analyzed using Raglan's criteria that the probability of A is only 10% while the probability of (B+C) is 90%
However the Gospels analyzed using Raglan's criteria give us no reason to believe C which is prima-facie a bit implausible therefore at this stage we should regard B as much more likely than C so let us give C a probability of 10% leaving B with a probability of 80%.

It is now claimed that the evidence of Paul makes B so unlikely that it can be disregarded while the evidence of Paul favors C over A by a factor of ten.
Given that B can now be disregarded and our previous probabilities for A and C were equal we have a final probability of A of 9% and a final probability of C of 91%.

However what Richard Carrier is allegedly doing is claiming that from the Gospels Raglan et al A has a probability of 10% and (B+C) a probability of 90%. While Paul's evidence shows that (B+C) is in effect C (since B can now be disregarded) and C is favored over A by a factor of ten. Hence the final probability of A is 1.1% and the probability of C is 98.9%. This is not a valid analysis.

Andrew Criddle
Kapyong

Post by Kapyong »

Gday all,

For your reference, Carrier's 48 background 'Elements' are listed here :
http://kapyong.5gbfree.com/Carrier/Elements.html

I also excerpted some small sections of OHJ :
  • Carrier's two theories of Jesus that he compares.
  • On early Christianity as a mystery religion.
  • On Acts being historical fiction.
  • On the Ascension of Isaiah.
  • On Messianism and four Jesus Christs.
  • On Hebrews 8:1-5.
  • On the Logos or son-of-God.
  • On Jesus being 'born of woman'.
  • On Osiris.
  • On Pliny and Tacitus.
  • On the Sperm of David.
  • On Paul's phrase 'brother of the Lord'.
http://kapyong.5gbfree.com/Carrier/OHJ.html

Kapyong
iskander

Post by iskander »

Kapyong wrote:Gday all,

For your reference, Carrier's 48 background 'Elements' are listed here :

I also excerpted some small sections of OHJ :
  • Carrier's two theories of Jesus that he compares.
  • On early Christianity as a mystery religion.
  • On Acts being historical fiction.
  • On the Ascension of Isaiah.
  • On Messianism and four Jesus Christs.
  • On Hebrews 8:1-5.
  • On the Logos or son-of-God.
  • On Jesus being 'born of woman'.
  • On Osiris.
  • On Pliny and Tacitus.
  • On the Sperm of David.
  • On Paul's phrase 'brother of the Lord'.
http://kapyong.5gbfree.com/Carrier/OHJ.html

Kapyong
Kapyong ,

Element 1. The earliest form of Christianity definitely known to us originated as a Jewish sect in the region of Syria-Palestine.

Element 1 is the explanation of the origins of Christianity. What is the earliest form of Christianity definitely known to us?

I can ask this question in your website, away from the noise, if you prefer that.
Last edited by iskander on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

andrewcriddle wrote:I may get this totally wrong and if so I apologize but I'm going to try and crudely express what I think is a key issue without the complexities of Bayes theorem.

Let B be the probability that Jesus was believed to have lived and died upon earth but didn't. (i.e. there was no historical Jesus and no belief in a Jesus who lived and died in the lower heavens)
Let C be the probability that Jesus was not originally believed to have lived and died upon earth. (Richard Carrier's preferred option)

It is claimed that using prior probabilities and the evidence of the Gospels analyzed using Raglan's criteria that the probability of A is only 10% while the probability of (B+C) is 90%
However the Gospels analyzed using Raglan's criteria give us no reason to believe C which is prima-facie a bit implausible therefore at this stage we should regard B as much more likely than C so let us give C a probability of 10% leaving B with a probability of 80%.

It is now claimed that the evidence of Paul makes B so unlikely that it can be disregarded while the evidence of Paul favors C over A by a factor of ten.
Given that B can now be disregarded and our previous probabilities for A and C were equal we have a final probability of A of 9% and a final probability of C of 91%.

However what Richard Carrier is allegedly doing is claiming that from the Gospels Raglan et al A has a probability of 10% and (B+C) a probability of 90%. While Paul's evidence shows that (B+C) is in effect C (since B can now be disregarded) and C is favored over A by a factor of ten. Hence the final probability of A is 1.1% and the probability of C is 98.9%. This is not a valid analysis.

Andrew Criddle
Nice!

The gospel story needs to be evaluated on it's own merit not through a Pauline eyeglass...
i.e. the Pauline eyeglass will skew the evaluation - Pauline vested interests hamper not facilitate a gospel evaluation. As the saying goes; don't read the gospels into Paul - so, likewise, don't read the Pauline writings into the gospels. Dating is not the trump card here. Whatever the dating of these writings - that dating does not date the creation of the story the writings contain.,

The Pauline writings aside, Carrier himself admits that a 'political fiction' suits the gospels well.

page 53/54 of On the Historicity of Jesus - Why we might have reasons to doubt

Unlike the minimal theory of historicity, however, what I have just said
is not strictly entailed. If 'Jesus Christ began as a celestial deity' is false,
it could still be that he began as a political fiction, for example (as some
scholars have indeed argued-the best examples being R.G. Price and
Gary Courtney).But as will become dear in following chapters (especially Chapter 11), such a premise has a much lower prior probability (and thus is already at a huge disadvantage over Premise 1 even before we start examining the evidence), and a very low consequent probability (though it
suits the Gospels well, it just isn't possible to explain the evidence in the
Epistles this way, and the origin of Christianity itself becomes very hard
to explain as well). Although I leave open the possibility it may yet be vindicated, I'm sure it's very unlikely to be, and accordingly I will assume its prior probability is too small even to show up in our math. This decision can be reversed only by a sound and valid demonstration that we must assign it a higher prior or consequent, but that I leave to anyone who thinks it's possible. In the meantime, what we have left is Premise 1, such that if that is less probable than minimal historicity, then I would be convinced historicity should be affirmed (particularly as the 'political fiction' theory already fits historicity and thus is not really a challenge to it-indeed that's often the very kind of fiction that gets written about historical persons)

Last edited by maryhelena on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

andrewcriddle wrote:I may get this totally wrong and if so I apologize but I'm going to try and crudely express what I think is a key issue without the complexities of Bayes theorem.

Let B be the probability that Jesus was believed to have lived and died upon earth but didn't.
  • (i.e. there was no historical Jesus and no belief in a Jesus who lived and died in the lower heavens)
I think there might have to be more qualifiers; and possibly more options (ie. D, E, etc.,)

eg. Where & When are those in Option C?
I'm not sure (B+C) should be calculated.

It seems best that the Pauline texts & the Gospels be analyzed separately.

Andrew Criddle
It doesn't seem valid.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote: http://kapyong.5gbfree.com/Carrier/Elements.html

Element 1. The earliest form of Christianity definitely known to us originated as a Jewish sect in the region of Syria-Palestine.

Element 1 is the explanation of the origins of Christianity. What is the earliest form of Christianity definitely known to us?
Some might say the Pauline texts. Some might say the Gospel texts. Some might say both.

I'd say, given the vagueness & confusion about those supposed mid-late 1st century texts in the 2nd century, it was some-time post-Marcion.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

MrMacSon wrote:

It seems best that the Pauline texts & the Gospels be analyzed separately.
:thumbup:
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

timhendrix wrote: Let's try to break this down. Firstly, do you agree with the following way of approximating a probability using a reference class?:
  • P(A|B) = (elements that matches A and B) / (Elements that matches B)
(if not, what is the correct way?)
I wondered if I needed to read Proving History, OHJ, and re-read reference texts on Bayes Theorem before answering but, in the absence of having done that (yet), I think something along the lines of the discussion prompted by Andrew Criddle's post (on this of this thread) ie. break up the components more than Carrier seems to have done..
timhendrix

Post by timhendrix »

Hi Andrew,

I think that's a very accurate description of one of the problems in the RR prior computation. My only reservation is that I think it is too charitable to the Rank-Raglan argument which I consider the pineta of poor statistical reasoning :-).

To use your notation, then what Carrier computes is that (I included b, background information):

P(A|b) = (1 + #historical RR heros) / (2+#RR heros)

Carrier notice that there are no historical RR heros and so concludes that P(A|b) = 1/(2+14) = 1/16.

The first point is that I think the conclusion should be read as follows: "Given that we only know about a character that he or she matches more than half of the RR criteria then there is about a 1/16 chance of the character being historical". I think that's a perfectly sensible statement.

The problem is that when we go from that statement to saying

p("Jesus existed" | b) = 1/16

we risk a huge bait-and-switch argument. How I think many would characterize this conclusion is: "The probability Jesus existed given our general background information is 1/16". However "our background knowledge" (more than 170 pages in OHJ) includes a ton of information about early Christians. As I read it, it for instance includes general information about the timing of the documents and general ideas about what early Christians believed. A point you brought up on your thread about the RR criteria is that if we evaluate the RR criteria using only Mark (and let's assume Mark was written first) it is much less obvious Jesus fits the RR hero class than if we use Matthew. I had not thought about that before, but it seems to be very important. However in the computation above it is just getting abstracted away along with every other piece of information (except the 22 RR factoids).

The second point is that I think there are good reasons to think that we aren't simply talking about a factor of 10. To connect your definitions to Carriers, Carriers theory of myth, ~h, is much more specific than simply C. If we apply the RR reference class computation to ~h we obtain:

P(~h|b) = (1 + #non-historical RR heros who matches the myth theory ~h) / (2+#RR heros)

However I can't see how any of the characters Carrier considers matches ~h and so we obtain:

P(~h|b) = (1 + 0) / (2+14) = 1/16

(which is roughly what you also used in your illustration). This result is different from what Carrier has, but nevertheless a great boost to Carriers myth theory: It shows the theory of myth is as plausible as the theory of historicity a-priori.
The elephant in the room is that the result reflects the 1+ in the numerator. I don't want to get too technical, but this number is really just reflecting other prior assumption and it is easy to think of situations where this type of reasoning goes very wrong.
I have a soft spot for conspiracies so as an example, suppose I wanted to compute the a-priori probability that the 9/11 attacks was carried out by terrorists vs. that they were an elaborate conspiracy carried out by the US government. As a reference class I use "Major attacks on large sky-scrapers in the past 100 years" (i.e. this is now 'b') and let's suppose there are 18 of these. Then I compare:

p("Terrorist attacks using several hijacked aircrafts" | b) = (1+0)/(2+18) = 1/20

and

p("Government conspiracy using several hijacked aircrafts" | b) = (1+0)/(2+18) = 1/20

and presto, using a bit of invalid statistical reasoning I just proved that my "us government conspiracy" is a-priori as likely as the official story. I can then go on to show that I can "explain" any evidence one can come up with ("the gubermint didit justlikethat!") and point out "difficulties" with the official story ("the buildings collapsed in free-fall speed! no large buildings have collapsed like that because of a fire!") and soon I will have proven the conspiracy true which I can announce as being based on "Bayesian probability theory and deductive logic" and so on. What I encountered here is the "reference class problem" and if one reads OHJ or PH it would seem not to be that noteworthy, however I think this and other examples shows that it is worth taking very serious.

This of course does not show the factor of 10 might not be correct in this case but here is a way to approach it: Suppose we decide to treat the RR characteristics (which as far as I know are found in the Gospels) as evidence and not as a means to compute the prior. Carrier claims we can do that and the result should come out the same. As a reference class I decide to use "Is a character found in literature". Then I decide the compute the prior of Carriers myth-theory ~h using this class:

P(~h|b="is a character found in literature")

The class of literary characters includes Zeus, Moses, Socrates, Robin hood, Goofy, Winston Churchill, Mickey-Mouse, etc. etc. Then we can ask how many of these matches ~h. ~h includes both that believers in the characters believe or teach a death and a burial in a supernatural realm (This would include some ancient Gods and with a bit of imagination also Aslan the Lion), but ~h also includes that subsequent communities came to believe the characters had had an earthly existence with companions, saying, etc (presumably we lost Aslan the lion and most other characters). Your guess is as good as mine, but I think the total number of literary characters outweighs those that matches ~h with orders of magnitude...

I think Zbykow (on the Vridar thread) is a good example of the types of objections Carrier would make to this example. Firstly, Zbykow/Carrier would point out that I focus on all of ~h and not just a particular feature of ~h (does not exist). I think this argument must rest upon a very peculiar idea about how probabilities are estimated from reference classes and it is extremely difficult to come up with any sort of general rule that would allow this type of inference and not be subject to very obvious paradoxes and fallacies. The "Bald man who likes RnB" example I have used on this thread is supposed to illustrate this.

Secondly, that "I did not account for information elsewhere correctly". I have asked Zbykow for about 20 posts exactly how we are supposed to account for the information elsewhere. His latest response: "Please, try to understand the basics first, then see if you still feel the need to rewrite any expressions.". I hope Carrier will eventually make us smarter on this point.

Thirdly, that "is a literary character" is not the proper reference class to use because the Rank-Raglan reference class is somehow intrinsically better because it is specific but not overly so... I think this argument is adequately met with: Says who?

The fundamental problem is that reference classes are not suitable to evaluate the probability of a complicated and specific hypothesis such as ~h or h based on specific information such as b (i.e. the reference class problem has, unsurprisingly, not vanished).

Cheers,
T.