Pseudo-Hegesippus and the TF

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ken Olson

Re: Pseudo-Hegesippus and the TF

Post by Ken Olson »

Peter Kirby asked:
Would you consider it plausible that "the Testimonium’s location in the Greek text [is] dependent on the work of Cassiodorus’ group"?
I don't have much of anything new to add on this one. I think that the sixth century translation overseen by Cassiodorus is the last plausible place where the insertion of the Testimonium could have been inserted into its present location in Ant. 18.63-64, which would make all known Greek manuscripts of the Antiquities dependent on Cassiodorus. I'd hesitate to say that's the likeliest explanation, but it's possible. I think you'd probably have to suppose that Cassiodorus' group made Greek copies of the Antiquities themselves in addition to translating the Latin.

Naturally, those who take the Testimonium to be Josephan or to have an authentic Josephan core think Josephus chose the location himself, but even some of those would suggest it was inserted at a later stage of composition than the rest of Josephus' account of Pilate's tenure. I have argued that the Testimonium was composed by Eusebius for use in his own work and not to fit into its present location in Antiquities (a fact which many critics seem to miss). I've also argued that the entire surviving literary tradition of Antiquities 18-20 may be based on a Caesarean exemplar that had the Testimonium inserted into it. I don't have a firm opinion on whether Eusebius oversaw the insertion himself or not. Antiquities 18-20 is not well attested before Eusebius (Origen and Porphyry knew it) so there may have been very few manuscripts before Eusebius popularized Josephus' work among Christians. Caesarea was a center of early Christian production of texts, including both biblical texts and Hellenistic Jewish texts like Philo.

Best,

Ken
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Ken Olson wrote:Andrew Criddle wrote:
The Chronicle became available in Latin translation (c 379) a number of years earlier than the translation of the Ecclesiastical History. However, if Pseudo-Hegesippus wrote c 370 neither would have been available in Latin so this may not be relevant.
The argument you're making seems to imply that you have a strong presupposition that Pseudo-Hegesippus would not have used Greek sources. But since his major source, Josephus, was in Greek, why? And your presupposition is so strongly held that you would discount the possibility you suggested above that Pseudo-Hegesippus could have gotten his information about Pilate from Eusebius' Chronicon if this meant he would have known it in Greek instead of Latin. So you'd rather deny his use of Greek sources other than Josephus (leaving you without an explanation of why he would say Pilate brought the images into the temple and that this incident was the beginning of the downfall of the Jews) than allow that he may well have known Eusebius in Greek. Again, what is the justification for your presupposition? What would count as evidence that he did have Greek sources other than Josephus?

Best,

Ken
Pseudo-Hegesippus clearly was fluent in Greek (he is translating/paraphrasing Josephus) so he may very well have had other Greek sources. However the heavy use of Latin sources by the author, and the limited amount of non-Josephan material in the work without a contemporary Latin parallel, does mean IMO that the burden of proof lies with those arguing for use of a specific Greek source.

On the question of use by pseudo-Hegesippus of Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History. the order of references to Jesus and John the Baptist may be relevant.

Eusebius has:
1. Not long after this John the Baptist was beheaded by the younger Herod, as is stated in the Gospels. Josephus also records the same fact, making mention of Herodias by name, and stating that, although she was the wife of his brother, Herod made her his own wife after divorcing his former lawful wife, who was the daughter of Aretas, king of Petra, and separating Herodias from her husband while he was still alive.

2. It was on her account also that he slew John, and waged war with Aretas, because of the disgrace inflicted on the daughter of the latter. Josephus relates that in this war, when they came to battle, Herod's entire army was destroyed, and that he suffered this calamity on account of his crime against John.

3. The same Josephus confesses in this account that John the Baptist was an exceedingly righteous man, and thus agrees with the things written of him in the Gospels. He records also that Herod lost his kingdom on account of the same Herodias, and that he was driven into banishment with her, and condemned to live at Vienne in Gaul.
4. He relates these things in the eighteenth book of the Antiquities, where he writes of John in the following words: It seemed to some of the Jews that the army of Herod was destroyed by God, who most justly avenged John called the Baptist.

5. For Herod slew him, a good man and one who exhorted the Jews to come and receive baptism, practicing virtue and exercising righteousness toward each other and toward God; for baptism would appear acceptable unto Him when they employed it, not for the remission of certain sins, but for the purification of the body, as the soul had been already purified in righteousness.

6. And when others gathered about him (for they found much pleasure in listening to his words), Herod feared that his great influence might lead to some sedition, for they appeared ready to do whatever he might advise. He therefore considered it much better, before any new thing should be done under John's influence, to anticipate it by slaying him, than to repent after revolution had come, and when he found himself in the midst of difficulties. On account of Herod's suspicion John was sent in bonds to the above-mentioned citadel of Machæra, and there slain.
7. After relating these things concerning John, he makes mention of our Saviour in the same work, in the following words: And there lived at that time Jesus, a wise man, if indeed it be proper to call him a man. For he was a doer of wonderful works, and a teacher of such men as receive the truth in gladness. And he attached to himself many of the Jews, and many also of the Greeks. He was the Christ.

8. When Pilate, on the accusation of our principal men, condemned him to the cross, those who had loved him in the beginning did not cease loving him. For he appeared unto them again alive on the third day, the divine prophets having told these and countless other wonderful things concerning him. Moreover, the race of Christians, named after him, continues down to the present day.
9. Since an historian, who is one of the Hebrews themselves, has recorded in his work these things concerning John the Baptist and our Saviour, what excuse is there left for not convicting them of being destitute of all shame, who have forged the acts against them? But let this suffice here.
This has the account by Josephus of John coming before the account by Josephus of Jesus. This makes sense on the basis of the Gospel chronology but is contrary to the order in our manuscripts of Josephus. (where the death of John is introduced later as backstory).

pseudo-Hegesippus has:
They indeed paid the punishments of their crimes, who after they had crucified Jesus the judge of divine matters, afterwards even persecuted his disciples. However a great part of the Jews, and very many of the gentiles believed in him, since they were attracted by his moral precepts, by works beyond human capability flowing forth. For whom not even his death put an end to their faith and gratitude, on the contrary it increased their devotion. And so they brought in murderous bands and conducted the originator of life to Pilatus to be killed, they began to press the reluctant judge. In which however Pilatus is not absolved, but the madness of the Jews is piled up, because he was not obliged to judge, whom not at all guilty he had arrested, nor to double the sacrilege to this murder, that by those he should be killed who had offered himself to redeem and heal them. About which the Jews themselves bear witness, Josephus a writer of histories saying, that there was in that time a wise man, if it is proper however, he said, to call a man the creator of marvelous works, who appeared living to his disciples after three days of his death in accordance with the writings of the prophets, who prophesied both this and innumerable other things full of miracles about him. [p. 164] from which began the community of Christians and penetrated into every tribe of men nor has any nation of the Roman world remained, which was left without worship of him. If the Jews don't believe us, they should believe their own people. Josephus said this, whom they themselves think very great, but it is so that he was in his own self who spoke the truth otherwise in mind, so that he did not believe his own words. But he spoke because of loyalty to history, because he thought it a sin to deceive, he did not believe because of stubbornness of heart and the intention of treachery. He does not however prejudge the truth because he did not believe but he added more to his testimony, because although disbelieving and unwilling he did not refuse. In which the eternal power of Jesus Christ shone bright because even the leaders of the synagogue confessed him to be god whom they had seized for death. And truly as god speaking without limitation of persons or any fear of death he announced also the future destruction of the temple. But the damage of the temple did not move them, but because they were chastized by him in scandal and sacrilege, from this their wrath flared up that they should kill him, whom no ages had held. For while others had earned by praying to do what they did, he had it in his power that he could order all things what he wished to be done. John the Baptist a holy man, who never placed the truth of salvation in second place, had been killed before the death of Jesus. Finally to all things which he taught to be full of righteousness, with which he invited the Jews to the worship of god, he had instituted baptism for the sake of purification of mind and body. For whom freedom was the cause of his death, because he was unable, the law having violated of the right of fraternal marriage, to endure the wife abducted from a brother by Herod. For when this same Herod was travelling to Rome, having entered the house of his brother for the purpose of lodging, the wife to whom was Herodias the daughter of Aristobolus, [p. 165] the sister of king Agrippa, unmindful of nature he dared to solicit her, that the brother having been left behind she should marry him, when he had returned from the city of Rome, with the consent of the woman an agreement of lewdness having been entered into information of which thing came to the daughter of king Areta still remaining in marriage of Herod. She indignant at her rival insinuated to her returning husband that he should go to the town Macherunta which was in the boundaries of king Petreus and Herod. He who suspected nothing, at the same time because he had impaired the whole state around the same, by which he could more easily keep the faith of the agreement to Herodias if he should get rid of his wife, agreed to her diversion. But she when he came near to her father's kingdom revealed the things learned to her father Areta, who by an ambush attacked and completely destroyed in a battle the entire force of Herod, the betrayal having been made through those, who from the people of Philippus the tetrarch had associated themselves to Herod. Whence Herod took the quarrel to Caesar, but the vengeance ordered by Caesar the anger of god took away, for in the very preparation of war the death of Caesar was announced. And we discover this assessed by the Jews and believed, the author Joseph a suitable witness against himself, that not by the treachery of men but by the arousing of god Herod lost his army and indeed rightly on account of the vengeance of John the Baptist a just man who had said to him: it is not permitted you to have that wife.
Here the references to Josephus on Jesus is followed by the reference to Josephus on John the Baptist as in our texts of Josephus.

This at least tends to indicate that pseudo-Hegesippus is using a text of Josephus' Antiquities for his references to Josephus on Jesus and John rather than Eusebius' references to what Josephus said.

Andrew Criddle
JoeWallack

Say It Ain't Son Joe

Post by JoeWallack »

Ken Olson wrote:I don't have a firm opinion on whether Eusebius oversaw the insertion himself or not. Antiquities 18-20 is not well attested before Eusebius (Origen and Porphyry knew it) so there may have been very few manuscripts before Eusebius popularized Josephus' work among Christians.
JW:
First let me say that it is a pleasure having you in this Forum. Now the pain. I do have to consider the possibility though that since you are the foremost authority on the TF that the world has ever known it may be that I have misunderstood you or God forbid, I am just plain wrong. Regarding the above "before Eusebius popularized Josephus' work among Christians." an important part of the argument against the TF being original is the combination of no direct evidence of awareness of the TF before Eusebius and expectation of awareness before Eusebius if the TF was original. The standard related apology is that in general early Patristics would not have been interested in Josephus. I think though that early Patristics would have been very interested in Josephus:
  • 1) General = Everyone seems to agree that Josephus was the primary historian for the supposed setting of Jesus.

2) Subject matter = Josephus' emphasis on the destruction of the Temple, Jerusalem and Israel would have been attractive to Christian theologians.

3) Specifically = It looks to me like the majority of early Patristics with more than a minimum amount of extant writings either explicitly or implicitly refer to Josephus' writings.
So why do you think Josephus was not popular with early Patristics?

Joseph

Son Control - Mark's 2nd Amendment. Was "son of God" Added Later to Mark 1:1? The Greek Patristic Evidence.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ken Olson wrote:
... I have argued that the Testimonium was composed by Eusebius for use in his own work and not to fit into its present location in Antiquities (a fact which many critics seem to miss). I've also argued that the entire surviving literary tradition of Antiquities 18-20 may be based on a Caesarean exemplar that had the Testimonium inserted into it. I don't have a firm opinion on whether Eusebius oversaw the insertion himself or not. Antiquities 18-20 is not well attested before Eusebius (Origen and Porphyry knew it), so there may have been very few manuscripts before Eusebius popularized Josephus' work among Christians. Caesarea was a center of early Christian production of texts, including both biblical texts and Hellenistic Jewish texts like Philo.
JoeWallack wrote: ... an important part of the argument against the TF being original is the combination of no direct evidence of awareness of the TF before Eusebius and expectation of awareness before Eusebius if the TF was original ...
Hi Ken (& Joe). I presume you are familiar with Richard Carrier's comments that if it wasn't Eusebius, then it was likely to have been Pamphilus? -
Richard Carrier 2013 blog-post wrote:
Now Ken Olson has weighed in. Olson has long advocated the hypothesis that the TF was forged and inserted by the Christian historian Eusebius (the first author ever to notice and quote the TF, in the early fourth century). He had his critics, but only just this year took them on in a devastating analysis that all but clinches his case and knocks down every argument his critics had. (Required reading on this point is now Ken Olson, “A Eusebian Reading of the Testimonium Flavianum,” in Eusebius of Caesarea: Tradition and Innovations [Harvard University Press, 2013], pp. 97-114.)

.... Olson has blogged about how the most common arguments against Christian authorship of the TF are ironically among the best arguments for its forgery by Eusebius (a Christian): see The Testimonium Flavianum, Eusebius, and Consensus. In that analysis (well worth reading) he cites his past and present work, and that of his critics, and mentions why they are wrong. Combined with his chapter in Eusebius of Caesarea, I think the case is now pretty strong that Eusebius did indeed fabricate the TF.

Or…that Pamphilus of Caesarea did.

This is a possibility Olson does not consider, but that I think deserves equal attention. My impression from the work of Eusebius is that he is kind of a doof and didn’t actually know where passages like this came from. I suspect he is not the forger. But Olson’s evidence entails that if Eusebius is not the forger, then his teacher and predecessor almost certainly is, and that’s Pamphilus of Caesarea. We have almost none of what was written by that man, thus we can’t check directly, but all the evidence Olson finds of Eusebian authorship of the TF could be remnants of vocabulary, idioms, and ideas Eusebius inherited from his teacher. And the timeline fits (I argue the accidental interpolation in the other passage occurred under Pamphilus’s watch as well, since it’s clear Eusebius didn’t know that had occurred, as I show in my article, yet it must have occurred after Origen, as I also show in my article, and Pamphilus was Origen’s successor; I also demonstrate there that all present copies of Josephus derive from the copy Eusebius held in his library, which was Pamphilus’s library, inherited from Origen).

Either way, Olson’s case is extremely robust, ensuring a very high probability that the TF is a forgery of Eusebius or Pamphilus, and occurred sometime in the latter third or early fourth century. And at any rate is certainly wholly a Christian forgery. All objections to that conclusion are met collectively by Olson’s latest chapter and my latest article* (and I’ll be adding more to the case in my next book, On the Historicity of Jesus). Attempts to rescue the TF should be declared dead. http://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/4391

* I think Carrier is referring to “Origen, Eusebius, and the Accidental Interpolation in Josephus, Jewish Antiquities 20.200” in the Journal of Early Christian Studies 
(vol. 20, no. 4, Winter 2012), 
pp. 489-514, where he also briefly talks about the TF (as he discusses in this Aug-2013 blog-post^ and this December-2012 blog-post - http://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/2946 )
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

MrMacSon wrote:comments that if it wasn't Eusebius, then it was likely to have been Pamphilus?
That Eusebius claims the John passage came before the Jesus passage reasonably suggests that the Jesus passage had not yet landed in the pages of the Antiquities at the time that the statement was made. The location, then, may be regarded as something fixed either during Eusebius' years or after, which would tend to exclude his predecessor from being the most likely culprit.

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.vi.xi.html
Eusebius wrote:After relating these things concerning John, he makes mention of our Saviour in the same work, in the following words:
(Alternatively, the interpolation originally did appear somewhere later in the text, but that isn't a very parsimonious solution, as we have no evidence of it and since the section on Pilate came before.)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Peter Kirby wrote:
That Eusebius claims the John passage came before the Jesus passage reasonably suggests that the Jesus passage had not yet landed in the pages of the Antiquities at the time that the statement was made. The location, then, may be regarded as something fixed either during Eusebius' years or after, which would tend to exclude his predecessor from being the most likely culprit.

https://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201.iii.vi.xi.html
Eusebius wrote:After relating these things concerning John, he makes mention of our Saviour in the same work, in the following words:
Cheers. I don't think I've seen that point before. (It raises another issue of whether Eusebius has been credited for (or even used or set up as a repository) for events that happened later; similar to what Secret Agent Huller has, I think, proposed has been done with Irenaeus).
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Andrew Criddle wrote:
Pseudo-Hegesippus clearly was fluent in Greek (he is translating/paraphrasing Josephus) so he may very well have had other Greek sources. However the heavy use of Latin sources by the author, and the limited amount of non-Josephan material in the work without a contemporary Latin parallel, does mean IMO that the burden of proof lies with those arguing for use of a specific Greek source.

On the question of use by Pseudo-Hegesippus of Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History. the order of references to Jesus and John the Baptist may be relevant.
Two points:

1) The question I specifically asked was about Pseudo-Hegesippus' use of Eusebius' Chronicon. You prefer to say that you don't know why Pseudo-Hegesippus says that Pilate brought the images into the temple and why he would say this was the beginning of the ruin of the Jews, which is not found in in Josephus, rather than allow his knowledge of Eusebius (the Chronicon or other works).

2) The argument about the order of Pseudo-Hegesippus' use of the passages about Jesus and John the Baptist relies on a highly selective use of the evidence. You discuss only the Ecclesiastical History, where the John passage comes almost immediately before the Testimonium, and not the Demonstratio which has the Testimonium in book three and the John the Baptist passage in nine, long after the Testimonium. You also ignore the fact that Pseudo-Hegesippus first gives the John passage in 2.5, before the Testimoniuma and a second use of the John passage in 2.12. You really have to want it to find the data on order supporting Antiquities against the HE. (Not that i necessarily discard the idea that Pseudo-Hegesippus had a manuscript of the Antiquities with the Testimonium already interpolated into it). It's basically a coin flip. Eusebius gives the John passage as often before as after the Testimonium in his works and so does Pseudo-Hegesippus. It just depends on the writers' own preferences at the time they're writing. Indeed, since Antiquities has the Testimonium and the John passage in widely separated contexts, once could argue that it was the influence of the HE to cite them together in Excidio 2.12 (not a conclusive argument, but IMO at least as compelling as your argument from order).

Best,

Ken
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Joe Wallach wrote:
So why do you think Josephus was not popular with early Patristics?
Ok, what I said was:
I've also argued that the entire surviving literary tradition of Antiquities 18-20 may be based on a Caesarean exemplar that had the Testimonium inserted into it. I don't have a firm opinion on whether Eusebius oversaw the insertion himself or not. Antiquities 18-20 is not well attested before Eusebius Origen and Porphyry knew it) so there may have been very few manuscripts before Eusebius popularized Josephus' work among Christians.
So three important points about what I said: (1) Antiquities 18-20 is not well attested, being found in only ten surviving manuscripts, seven of which were copied from the other three, and none is earlier than the eleventh century; some other sections of Josephus are better attested (2) Origen and Porphyry knew some material from Ant. 18-20; earlier writers did not; (3) Eusebius "popularized" Josephus, but that doesn't mean his works were completely unknown earlier.

Alice Whealey, following on the work of Heinz Schreckenberg and Michael Hardwick, has argued that the silence of Christian authors before Eusebius about the Testimonium is not surprising because (except for Origen, who Whealey tries to show does exhibit knowledge of the Testimonium) they didn't know the later books of the Antiquities at all and weren't concerned about using Josephus for the history of New Testament times. They don't use Josephus to talk about John the Baptist or Pilate either. Personally, I think that if the Testimonium had been in book 18, it would have come to their attention, but you have to stick to what you can demonstrate as probable.

But every cloud has its silver lining. Christians before Origen didn't cite Josephus much and it was usually Contra Apionem to answer objections to the biblical history. Eusebius was the first to use Josephus' account of the horrors of the Jewish War and the destruction of Jerusalem to argue that this was God's punishment of the Jews for their crimes against christ and his disciples, a theme later picked up by Pseudo-Hegesippus and others. Josephus works became sort of a fifth gospel. Jerome counts Josephus (and Philo) among the Illustrious Men of the Christian tradition, and it's very likely that the Latin translations of the Jewish War and the Antiquities, and the Syriac translation of book 6 of the Jewish War (the book the describes the destruction of Jerusalem and its temple) would never have been made if it were not for Eusebius. So if we're looking for a Christian author who could have affected the entire manuscript tradition of Josephus, well, it's him.

Best,

Ken
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

MrMacSon quoted Richard Carrier:
This is a possibility Olson does not consider, but that I think deserves equal attention. My impression from the work of Eusebius is that he is kind of a doof and didn’t actually know where passages like this came from. I suspect he is not the forger. But Olson’s evidence entails that if Eusebius is not the forger, then his teacher and predecessor almost certainly is, and that’s Pamphilus of Caesarea. We have almost none of what was written by that man, thus we can’t check directly, but all the evidence Olson finds of Eusebian authorship of the TF could be remnants of vocabulary, idioms, and ideas Eusebius inherited from his teacher.
I think I replied to this quotation on Reddit or Quora somewhere. I'm not a big fan of taking the Christological language and argumentative structure attested in the work of Eusebius and attributing it to Pamphilius where it's unattested on the grounds that Carrier has the impression that Eusebius is kind of a doof. That seems awfully conjectural. It's a suggestion of a possibility, not actually a theory supported with evidence and argument. I would first want to know what a doof is, how we know Eusebius is one, and why being a doof would keep him from having written the Testimonium. Is Eusebius the same doof that came up with the chronological tables in the Chronicon that synchronized the events of Christian history with other events or the canon tables that allowed readers to find parallel passages in the gospels?

Best,

Ken
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ken Olson wrote: ... I'm not a big fan of taking the Christological language and argumentative structure attested in the work of Eusebius and attributing it to Pamphilius where it's unattested on the grounds that Carrier has the impression that Eusebius is kind of a doof. That seems awfully conjectural. It's a suggestion of a possibility, not actually a theory supported with evidence and argument.
Sure, its highly conjectural. I posted it for feedback, and to then see if it is 'lateral thinking' worth encouraging or pursuing, as I further wonder if Eusebius alone has been portrayed too much as the sole touchstone or gateway to key aspects of Christian development and if others around him were part of that activity.
Ken Olson wrote: Is Eusebius the same doof that came up with the chronological tables in the Chronicon that synchronized the events of Christian history with other events or the canon tables that allowed readers to find parallel passages in the gospels?
Do we revere Eusebius's Chronicon because of Jerome's? Did Eusebius altering the chronology of Sextus Julius Africanus of the times of Christ elevate his status?