How Did Paul Know Jesus Was Resurrected?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Clive

Re: How Did Paul Know Jesus Was Resurrected?

Post by Clive »

These little local mithraic oriental cults became universal. Like Turing inventing a universal machine, Paul invented a universal religion with a cross, the resurrection of the sun at dawn and God becoming man as the core equations
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote: Paul invented a universal religion with a cross, the resurrection of the sun at dawn and God becoming man as the core equations
Laughable conclusion. Have fun with imaginative unsupported claims.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:These little local mithraic oriental cults became universal.
When did Persian become oriental?

When was a religion adopted by Roman military "little"

What evidence do you have for first century usage?

:tombstone:
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

they took consolation into thinking Jesus' spirit had been saved in heaven, in order to come back to earth at the advent of the kingdom of God.
Yet was this a collective enterprise or did this 'idea' first come to Paul by the means I outline here - i.e. that he was 'taken captive' by Jesus as referenced in Psalm 68:18.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Clive

Post by Clive »

Did Paul think of himself like John the Baptist, making way for the coming of the Lord in glory? Was JtB used in the gospels as code for Paul?
The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah,[a] the Son of God, 2 as it is written in Isaiah the prophet:

“I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way”[c]—
3 “a voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’”[d]
4 And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5 The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6 John wore clothing made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7 And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8 I baptize you with[e] water, but he will baptize you with[f] the Holy Spirit.”
Last edited by Clive on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Um, "oriental cult" is a quote ......
Clive

Post by Clive »

outhouse wrote:
Clive wrote: Paul invented a universal religion with a cross, the resurrection of the sun at dawn and God becoming man as the core equations
Sorry is xianity a universal religion with a cross as the core symbol?

Was Paul a key person?

Do churches face East?

What does Immanuel mean?

What laughable conclusions? Which are the unsupported claims?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Yes Paul did know Jesus (Christ?) was resurrected - in the third heaven.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Clive wrote:
outhouse wrote:
Sorry is xianity a universal religion with a cross as the core symbol?

Was Paul a key person?

Do churches face East?

What does Immanuel mean?

What laughable conclusions? Which are the unsupported claims?
stating that
Paul invented
Is complete unsubstantiated crap. Nothing short. You are just proselytizing your rhetoric.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

More evidence of an immediate charge to the Paraclete - who, in the Marcionite tradition was Paul. Again from de Praescriptione:
that thereafter (Jesus's birth to Mary) He proclaimed a new law and a new promise of the Kingdom of Heaven, wrought miracles, was crucified, and on the third day rose again, was caught up into the heavens, and sat down at the right hand of the Father; that He sent the Vicarious Power of the Holy Spirit to lead believers

Exinde praedicasse nouam legem et nouam promissionem regni caelorum, uirtutes fecisse, cruci fixum, tertia die resurrexisse, in caelos ereptum sedisse ad dexteram patris, misisse uicariam uim spiritus sancti qui credentes agat,
Yes this is pretty standard and it develops from Acts mostly. But the idea merely seems to substitute a 'Catholic' notion of the Paraclete in place of the original Marcionite one (which happens to agree with the Jewish usage of the terminology = i.e. that the Paraclete was an expected human personality).

Interesting that the same word for 'caught (up)' to heaven is used here as is later used of Paul
But although Paul was caught up as far as the third heaven, and when brought into paradise heard certain things there, yet these revelations cannot be thought to be such as would render him more qualified to teach another doctrine, since their very nature was such that they could not be communicated to any human being

Sed et si in tertium usque caelum ereptus Paulus et in paradisum delatus audiit quaedam illic, non possunt uideri fuisse quae illum in aliam doctrinam instructiorem praestarent, cum ita fuerit condicio eorum ut nulli hominum proderentur.
It would seem to me at least that it was Paul the Paraclete who was according to the Marcionites 'snatched' up to the third heaven/Paradise.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote