Clement of Alexandria --- the catholic

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Clement of Alexandria --- the catholic

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote: ... the remains of an ancient Church of St Mark could be seen in the ancient Jewish quarter of the city (in modern Chatby). He told stories as a youth standing in the cryptorium in the Church where all the mummified remains of the Coptic Patriarchs of Alexandria were stored. The superstitions of ancient Egypt, he said, were never fully overcome by this tradition.
That's quite cryptic :P ---What tradition didn't overcome the ancient 'superstitions' beliefs? Christianity or Judaism? or both?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Remember what Socrates says about crosses (ankhs) in the Serapium.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The mummified Patriarchs is what he had in mind. But the Cops believe in transmigration of the soul (a form of it) and are generally highly superstitious (stupid)
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

And Clement adored Paul. He cited his letters extensively and variously referred to Paul as “the apostle”, “blessed”, and “noble”.
Well written, robert j.

Clement is really blatantly proto-Catholic even though he will pretend to be ancient and Judeo-Christian.

So Roger:
I think Joseph Turmel is right that 1 Clement was written in the 140s and has an anti-Marcionite purpose. It is a letter that ostensibly meanders, but its meanderings have a funny way of countering, one after another, doctrines held by the Marcionites. It undercuts Marcion without even taking explicit notice of him, for its tactic is to make it look like the subapostolic Roman and Corinthian churches were both on the same page as Paul and clearly proto-orthodox in belief. Just as the author of Acts succeeded for so long in convincing people that he wrote in the 60s, the author of 1 Clement has been largely successful in pulling off the same thing for the 90s. For some of my other thoughts on 1 Clement, see my comment to Neil’s 2011-04-06 post “Reasons to assign Paul’s letters to the first century (distilled from Doherty)”
http://vridar.org/2014/11/16/ten-elemen ... ment-68826
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Giuseppe wrote:
And Clement adored Paul. He cited his letters extensively and variously referred to Paul as “the apostle”, “blessed”, and “noble”.
Well written, robert j.

Clement is really blatantly proto-Catholic even though he will pretend to be ancient and Judeo-Christian.

So Roger:
I think Joseph Turmel is right that 1 Clement was written in the 140s and has an anti-Marcionite purpose. It is a letter that ostensibly meanders, but its meanderings have a funny way of countering, one after another, doctrines held by the Marcionites. It undercuts Marcion without even taking explicit notice of him, for its tactic is to make it look like the subapostolic Roman and Corinthian churches were both on the same page as Paul and clearly proto-orthodox in belief. Just as the author of Acts succeeded for so long in convincing people that he wrote in the 60s, the author of 1 Clement has been largely successful in pulling off the same thing for the 90s. For some of my other thoughts on 1 Clement, see my comment to Neil’s 2011-04-06 post “Reasons to assign Paul’s letters to the first century (distilled from Doherty)”
http://vridar.org/2014/11/16/ten-elemen ... ment-68826
I think you are confusing Clement of Rome and Clement of Alexandria.

Andrew Criddle
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

robert j wrote:Life's too short Stephan.
I liked your opening post, thank you.

When I first saw it, maybe because of the way you started it, I thought it WAS by SA. I thought "He has regained his senses!"

The multiplicity of reactionary AA posts that followed, of course, set me straight on that.

DCH :goodmorning:
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Thanks, Andrew, for the correction.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Small minds, small understanding. But nice people through and through