The Christian Argument for Cheating on Your Wife

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Diogenes the Cynic

Re: The Christian Argument for Cheating on Your Wife

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

I have a suspicion, as far as I know, unprovable, that "look at a woman to lust after her" is a euphemism for spanking it. I say this partly because Jesus immediately follows this admonition with the "if your right eye offends you pluck it out, if your right hand offends you, cut it off" speech. This language is from the Talmud where an offending eye refers to adultery (like a "wandering eye") and an offending right hand refers specifically to masturbation. The Talmud specifically says, in its characteristic hyperbole, to cut off your right hand if you become too preoccupied with playing Solitaire. I think Matthew reflects a figure of speech, shared with the Talmud, referring to chastising the old primate whilst thinking about somebody else's wife. In other words, not just thinking about it, but taking matters into your own hand and doing something about it. This gives men SOME wiggle room in this area, but, for most of us, unfortunately, not that much.
Blood

Post by Blood »

If you're so crazy about your wife Stephen, then your main "sin" is spending more time on these forums than you do with her. I think we may know you better than your wife does.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

How much time does it take to type a post? 10 minutes at most? 7 minutes on average. 7 x 500 = 3500 minutes/60 = under 6 hours in about a month. What's that? Less than 2 hours a week. I don't watch TV
Everyone loves the happy times
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

But the important point that gets lost in so-called 'serious scholarship' is that Christianity as we know starts off with about a hundred presumptions about man, God, heaven, hell and everything in between that couldn't have been known to the first Christians. If you look at the raw text of the gospel (I would add the letters of Paul known to the Marcionites) there is nothing which supports the moronic assumptions of theologians and religious types. We all have this inherited sense of what 'a good person' is that doesn't even come from the gospel. For Jesus and Paul becoming an angel was everything. Everything leads to damnation.
Everyone loves the happy times